Polynesian vs. Grand Floridian

hllb

DIS Veteran
We have two reservations. I'm pretty sure I've decide which one to keep, but thought I'd ask for opinions on the resorts before I make my final decision. We have never stayed at either resort. We have visited Polynesian for dining before, and liked the themeing. I have never even visited GF, and generally, victorian is not my style (though the rooms look quite nice and not overly victorian).

Polynesian reservation is for a standard view room. GF reservation is outer building, garden room.

We plan to spend 2 days at MK, 1 day AK, 1 day EP, and 1 day HS. The final park day will likely be split between AK (to get the FoP FP) and EP, or AK and our resort. Arrival day will be spent at Disney Springs.

We generally don't spend a ton of time at the resorts, so transportation is pretty important. For dining, we have reservations at Poly and Contemporary, but none at GF. We likely won't eat in the quick service at any of the resorts, except perhaps grabbing a snack for breakfast and using the resort mugs (we're doing the dining plan).

Our original reservation was at Contemporary (Garden room, standard view), which I was looking forward too. I've always liked that resort. But when the special came out, it didn't apply to our room type and nothing inexpensive was available. I was able to switch that to GF and save about $300 by using the Visa special.

Then I found out about agency specific deals, and got a reservation at Poly that way. That would save about another $500 over the GF ($750 if you include the insurance we have on the GF reservation, but no insurance on the Poly one). If we keep the Poly one, we'll lose the $150 from the insurance, and not have insurance on that. But, after doing the math, really the only thing we'd "lose" would be our plane ticket costs, due to Disney's good cancellation policy (we do have a potential reason we'd have to cancel, but I think we'd know well before losing the entire cost of our trip; health issues of an extended family member). And, if the worst happened, the airline would probably waive or reduce our change fee on the plane tickets.

So, basically convince me why one resort would be better than the other.

If you won't be spending a lot of time at the resort, I'd go with whatever is cheapest. We enjoy both Poly and GF; you really can't go wrong with either.

At Poly we like:
Trader Sam's
Pool/splash area
Atmosphere
Split bathroom in DVC rooms
Large room size
Walk to TTC to get EP monorail

At GF we like:
Mizner's Lounge
Pool/splash area
We had a 2BR DVC room...the best room we've ever had at Disney
boat to/from MK
size of the resort (small)

At Poly we dislike:
housekeeping
some grumpy cast members

At GF we dislike:
crowded monorail (it's the last resort on the way to MK)

On the transportation side, Poly gets you a more reasonable walk to TTC where you can get directly on the Epcot monorail. (Some also use the express monorail or boat to MK, but I enjoyed the little Poly to MK boat if I wasn’t in a rush)

On the transportation side, Poly gets you a more reasonable walk to TTC where you can get directly on the Epcot monorail. (Some also use the express monorail or boat to MK, but I enjoyed the little Poly to MK boat if I wasn’t in a rush)

Thanks. It has sounded like transportation is better from Poly. That combined with the lower cost is where I'm leaning.

I actually like the Grand Floridian the most. The Poly and GF are our top picks for resorts.
If you wont be at the resort and at the parks more than pick which ever is cheapest.
The Poly does have a bit better transportation options. It is my second favorite resort.
Either one is nice.

We've stayed at both multiple times. If it is during the Holiday season then hands down GF. Outside of the holiday season we typically prefer the Poly. It is close to the TTC and we like walking there and taking the express monorail to either EPCOT or MK. We get to EPCOT faster from the Poly. I will say that Garden View GF v standard view Poly might swing me towards GF. If you don't care about the view that may not make a difference. We do really enjoy the band and piano player in the evenings at the GF if we happen to be at the resort in that time period. They are both great- you can not go wrong with either one.

If you aren't really going to use any of the resort amenities and you have no ADR's at GF, I would lean Poly. It will give you a slight edge on transportation with the ability to walk to TTC to catch the EP monorail. In this case, I would go with whichever is cheapest.

We've stayed at both and while we do like the GF, the Poly is our favorite. I love the tropical atmosphere, the pool is great, the beach is nice for watching the fireworks (which can also be done while swimming), and it's relaxing walking around at night under the lit tiki torches. The GF is also a beautiful resort, but I find the Poly a little more laid back/relaxing. It's also nice to be able to walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail rather than changing at the TTC when going from the GF. I'm sure you'd have a great time at the GF, but my choice would be the Poly. Good luck.

If you won't be spending a lot of time at the resort, I'd go with whatever is cheapest. We enjoy both Poly and GF; you really can't go wrong with either.
I totally agree, if your not going to spend time at your resort then why pay more? GF is a wonderful resort, we will stay there again for sure!
Have a great trip!

We've stayed at both multiple times. If it is during the Holiday season then hands down GF. Outside of the holiday season we typically prefer the Poly. It is close to the TTC and we like walking there and taking the express monorail to either EPCOT or MK. We get to EPCOT faster from the Poly. I will say that Garden View GF v standard view Poly might swing me towards GF. If you don't care about the view that may not make a difference. We do really enjoy the band and piano player in the evenings at the GF if we happen to be at the resort in that time period. They are both great- you can not go wrong with either one.

Nope, not during the holidays (end of January). Honestly, I never had any desire to stay at GF because I'm not into Victorian. But after I made the reservation switch from Contemporary, I started looking at room selection on Touring Plans, and the garden view rooms had absolutely beautiful views. And then I remind myself that we don't spend much time in the room, and usually have the curtains pulled when we are there LOL. When exactly would I see those views? Yeah, just when we're leaving on our way to somewhere else.

It sounds like you really prefer the theming at the Poly, which is a big plus in its favour, IMO. The Victorian theme at the GF is beautiful, but if it isn't your thing it may even detract from the experience for you. Mickeynut1 gave a good list of reasons why the Poly makes an excellent choice for many people. It is very well liked by many, including our family. It is one of the top three of my favourite resorts to stay in at WDW (the other two are the GF and CR) and has our favourite atmosphere/theme of them all.

You are going to Epcot on a couple of occasions and the Poly has easier access via monorail to Epcot than the GF. Otherwise, transportation is fairly equal between the two resorts.

We do like the garden view rooms at the GF more than SV rooms at the Poly, but you are right - you rarely spend time looking at the view from your room unless you spend time there with coffee in the AM or a beverage in the PM (perhaps if you have little ones sleeping early?, for example). Unless you are splurging for a TPV room (too expensive for many people to feel is worthwhile when you can enjoy the view from all over the resort), then it doesn't have to matter a great deal.

From what you have said, as well as with a lower price at the Poly, I would choose the Poly this time. You can always walk over to the GF from the Poly and check it out for a future visit (if you like what you see). Perhaps a nice meal in Narcoosee's would be a good excuse to take a monorail or stroll next door?

Enjoy your trip whichever you decide!!!!

Thanks all! I think we'll go with the Poly this time. I'll request one of the Poly standard rooms that have better views and hope for the best, but realistically, I've never had a view from a WDWR room and it never mattered.

Poly does have the advantage of better transportation being walking distance to TTC for Epcot monorail. Had great views ( if your curtains are open lol) until they just recently decided any pool or marina views would be extra $$$ :sad2:
Our fav longhouse doesn’t fit into new standard category.
2nd floor rooms don’t have balcony.

GF still has pool and marina views standard at no huge upcharge. IMO the individual buildings are nicer. Each has a pretty lobby that echos the main building. All rooms (with few exceptions) have balconies. After last refurb, rooms aren’t very Victorian.

Fireworks viewing very good at either resort.

Both resorts are great, but it’s the little things that set Gf apart.

i would pick poly over gf... same as you, theming doesn't thrill me. way more interested in exotic over victorian. i found the counter service restaurant at gf average at best.

enjoy wherever you end up!!

I keep second guessing myself but the first time I walked into Poly, I said I wanted to stay there. So next week I'll cancel my GF reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter