• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Polynesian Room vs Villa Studio

cdispoto

Earning My Ears
I have a Polynesian Standard View room reservation in January and I just checked and can switch to Deluxe Studio Villa Standard View for only $75 more over the course of a six-night stay.

Is switching to the Villa worth the added cost? What is the difference other than the location?

It is myself, my wife and my 4-year-old daughter on the trip.

Interested in this as well as I'm debating the same for July. (In my case I'm solo for a stay over my birthday before my cruise.)

So I have never stayed at the poly, but I am a DVC member so I can share some light into the matter. The studio only nets you a small kitchenette with a microwave, fridge, and sink. You won’t get daily housekeeping staying at a villa. Also, it is doubtful the studio would have two beds. Most likely you will have a bed and a pull out sofa. You may also have a Murphy bed in the room as well. It all depends if you think it is justifiable to upgrade. Now if you could get a one bedroom that would net you a full kitchen and a washer and dryer.

So I have never stayed at the poly, but I am a DVC member so I can share some light into the matter. The studio only nets you a small kitchenette with a microwave, fridge, and sink. You won’t get daily housekeeping staying at a villa. Also, it is doubtful the studio would have two beds. Most likely you will have a bed and a pull out sofa. You may also have a Murphy bed in the room as well. It all depends if you think it is justifiable to upgrade. Now if you could get a one bedroom that would net you a full kitchen and a washer and dryer.

I think if you are on a cash reservation you DO get daily housekeeping.

Are both standard view? I think either option would work it just depends on your preference. The Villa will have a second bathroom but the second bath is only a shower and sink. It will have one bed, a pull out sofa bed, and a pull out Murphy under the tv which might work well for your daughter. Also all villas have a balcony or patio. If this is important I would switch to a villa because resort rooms have a 1/3 chance of not getting a patio/balcony as there are none on the 2nd floors. The negative of the villas is there is one building that has the only real parking lot view at The Poly. IMO resort room longhouses all have good views even standard view. Villas are closer to the monorail to EPCOT as well.
We have 2 kids so I tend to prefer the regular rooms with 2 beds but with only one small child I personally would probably opt for the villa.

Others have summed it up well. For 2 adults and a 4 YO I think I would opt for the Villa. It is really nice to not have floor space taken by a 2nd bed during the day and to have the couch to relax on. I think a 4 YO is perfect for the pull down Murphy Bed. Yes, if you are a cash reservation you should get daily Mousekeeping.

We just stayed in a villa on a cash reservation and we got housekeeping every day just like you would in any other room. We chose a villa for the reasons others have listed above (balcony, small kitchenette to make breakfast, second bathroom). I also liked the decor better. We were in Tokelau, so close to everything (quiet pool, short walk to main building & ttc). All that being said, I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice as the Poly is amazing. Have a great vacation!

Probably not. We are a family of 5 and fit just fine in a regular room. I thought about the DVC just for the second shower but again, everything was fine for us and my kids took quicker showers for once!

We had the 2 queen beds and a couch/day bed and for some reason I think we had a chair and ottoman (but we stayed at the BC so it may of been there).

we haven’t stayed yet, but for our upcoming trip we just moved from a standard room to a deluxe studio. we’re a family of 3 (2 adults + 7 month old). the primary benefit for us is that a pack and play will fit in one bathroom, so we can use it as LOs ‘bedroom’ at night while still having lots of living space for us. i’m guessing you’ll have a harder time convincing a 4YO to sleep in the bathroom, but still, the second bathroom and a bit more living space could be valuable. I guess the big question: would your LO be happy sleeping on a murphy bed, or will she want a full bed to herself?

On the flip side, the standard rooms at the poly are the biggest deluxe rooms on property. In a standard room you’d only have one bathroom, but it’s large and the room would be plenty big enough for your family.

at the poly, standard rooms on the second floor only have juliette balconies, but in the villas you’re guaranteed a balcony/patio. if you’re concerned about living space while your kiddo sleeps, a patio could be worth the added cost alone.

one drawback of the villas to me is that the buildings are a bit further away. it won’t be significant, but i think it will take an extra couple of minutes to get anywhere because of the added walking time.

you should get daily mousekeeping if you want it. i believe you’ll also have access to the dvc laundry, where there’s no charge to use the machines (this is my understanding before visiting—I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

phew. i hope that helps!

We are a family of 3 and, when pricing out regular rooms vs. studios, I would opt for whatever is cheapest. The Poly studio is not worth $75 extra a night.

We are a family of 3 and, when pricing out regular rooms vs. studios, I would opt for whatever is cheapest. The Poly studio is not worth $75 extra a night.

oh I agree. I must have misunderstood—I thought the price difference was 75$ total, not 75$/day. For me, I think that would change the value I see in a studio.

We enjoyed the separate tub and shower rooms in the studio. That way the kids could bath while the adults could shower.

we haven’t stayed yet, but for our upcoming trip we just moved from a standard room to a deluxe studio. we’re a family of 3 (2 adults + 7 month old). the primary benefit for us is that a pack and play will fit in one bathroom, so we can use it as LOs ‘bedroom’ at night while still having lots of living space for us. i’m guessing you’ll have a harder time convincing a 4YO to sleep in the bathroom, but still, the second bathroom and a bit more living space could be valuable. I guess the big question: would your LO be happy sleeping on a murphy bed, or will she want a full bed to herself?

On the flip side, the standard rooms at the poly are the biggest deluxe rooms on property. In a standard room you’d only have one bathroom, but it’s large and the room would be plenty big enough for your family.

at the poly, standard rooms on the second floor only have juliette balconies, but in the villas you’re guaranteed a balcony/patio. if you’re concerned about living space while your kiddo sleeps, a patio could be worth the added cost alone.

one drawback of the villas to me is that the buildings are a bit further away. it won’t be significant, but i think it will take an extra couple of minutes to get anywhere because of the added walking time.

you should get daily mousekeeping if you want it. i believe you’ll also have access to the dvc laundry, where there’s no charge to use the machines (this is my understanding before visiting—I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

phew. i hope that helps!
Poly second floor rooms do NOT have a Juliet balcony. There is no balcony at all

Question about the sofa in the room vs. studio. The pictures of the room one look like it is a vinyl(?) while the Studio one looks nicer like cloth. Is that right? Or are they both cloth?

Poly second floor rooms do NOT have a Juliet balcony. There is no balcony at all

ah. thanks for clarifying, hopefully. i thought juliet balcony was a euphemism for a patio door that opens but no actual patio, and i thought this was the setup in second floor rooms.

oh I agree. I must have misunderstood—I thought the price difference was 75$ total, not 75$/day. For me, I think that would change the value I see in a studio.

Actually, in looking at OP's post, I think it is $75 total for the stay. In your case, with a pack-n-play, I probably would opt for the studio for the extra floor space. With an older child, I would do the regular room for the extra, real bed. I do like that big coffee maker in the studios, though!! :)

ah. thanks for clarifying, hopefully. i thought juliet balcony was a euphemism for a patio door that opens but no actual patio, and i thought this was the setup in second floor rooms.
Juliet balcony is not a euphemism but rather an actual standing room only balcony. An adult can open the door, walk out and stand on the balcony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter