Polynesian or Yacht Club?

winnieofpooh

DIS Veteran
My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and need a plan B. We're hoping to stay at GF, but the budget may not work out, so we're trying to pick a plan B resort. I think we've narrowed it down to Yacht Club or Poly, but are open to other options. We just stayed at AKL this January, so would rather not stay there again (although we loved it!).

We'll be spending one day at each park, but have hoppers so may do two parks a day. My favorite park is MK, fiance's is Epcot. We're usually rope drop to close people, but we're going in August so might do mid-day breaks just out of necessity. We don't have any resort-only days besides the arrival day, so I think just the overall feel of the resort is more important than specific amenities (restaurants, pools, etc).

We're doing the second part of our honeymoon in the Bahamas, so not sure if Poly would be too much of the tropical theme. Which would you choose?

Poly and YC are in my top 3 favorite resorts (Poly is my fav), but they are very different. Given everything you describe, I vote YC. It has a ‘slightly’ more upscale/adult vibe fitting for a honeymoon (in my opinion) and will be a nice contrast to the Bahamas portion of your trip.

Leave Poly for a future/non-Honeymoon trip, if your future travel plans involve Disney.

Of course you can’t make a wrong decision here, just my first reaction when reading your post.

Early congratulations to you.

Poly and YC are in my top 3 favorite resorts (Poly is my fav), but they are very different. Given everything you describe, I vote YC. It has a ‘slightly’ more upscale/adult vibe fitting for a honeymoon (in my opinion) and will be a nice contrast to the Bahamas portion of your trip.

Leave Poly for a future/non-Honeymoon trip, if your future travel plans involve Disney.

Of course you can’t make a wrong decision here, just my first reaction when reading your post.

Early congratulations to you.

Thank you!! That's the way I was leaning as well.

These are two of my favorite resorts at Disney (although I prefer BC to YC personally). My vote would be the Polynesian hands down. While being able to walk to World Showcase is certainly nice, you just cant beat being on the monorail line imho. Having both MK and Epcot available via monorail is just so convenient and is such a classic Disney thing. For me it's hard to describe or put a monetary value on. Priceless! We did a split stay between Poly and BC a couple of years ago and that was a nice experience as well.

The Poly and YC are our two favorite resorts. As much as I love the Poly, I’d stay at the YC. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous and the quick walk to Epcot cannot be beat. We love strolling into Epcot in the evening for dinner and drinks. Like a PP mentioned, I think the YC also has a more adult/upscale feel to it. Plus, I think you’ll find it quieter than the Poly. SAB isn’t too shabby either.

Enjoy!

The Polynesian is probably my favorite resort of all that we’ve stayed at. That said, for an adults only trip - my vote would be YC hands down. The ability to walk to EPCOT (and HS if you feel so inclined) is great, it’s nice to be so close to the Boardwalk at night, and since you have hoppers you can easily hop the monorail to MK. Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon wherever you choose!

Yacht Club hands down. Was very disappointed in Poly in Dec 2018. Yacht Club is awesome, that time of year you will love the pool if you decide to go back to the room. more mature vibe too. easy walk to JellyRolls for the piano bar, which is fun, as is Fantasia Minigolf

Yacht Club hands down. Was very disappointed in Poly in Dec 2018. Yacht Club is awesome, that time of year you will love the pool if you decide to go back to the room. more mature vibe too. easy walk to JellyRolls for the piano bar, which is fun, as is Fantasia Minigolf

Hello! Do you mind if I ask why you were disappointed? I haven't stayed at the Poly in about 8 or 9 years, I know a lot can change in that time (the DVC there was not even in public talks yet!) We're planning on a villa @ Kidani for our next trip - but I've always wanted to return to the poly (but not if it's gone downhill!) Thanks so much!

Poly won't be much less expensive than the GF. However, I would choose the Poly over Yacht Club. Poly is obviously super convenient for Magic Kingdom, but also convenient to Epcot with the monorail. None of the Epcot resorts are convenient to the MK since they share buses.

Stayed at Yacht Club last week and Polynesian earlier this year. Both times it was just my husband and I. I really liked the "Magical" feel of the Polynesian, but we had several rude experiences there with cast members..more than I have ever had at any other Disney hotel. It was also always really busy and crowded. Yacht Club was great for the walking convenience to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The service was better and the room was nice. At one of the busiest times of the year, it had such a quiet and relaxing lobby. We loved coming back to the calmness at night. Lastly, the bus stopped at Yacht Club first which was always nice. We never waited long for one to arrive. The Yacht Club would get my vote for a honeymoon stay between the two.

Poly won't be much less expensive than the GF. However, I would choose the Poly over Yacht Club. Poly is obviously super convenient for Magic Kingdom, but also convenient to Epcot with the monorail. None of the Epcot resorts are convenient to the MK since they share buses.
We typically stay at the Boardwalk and I can say from experience (granted this is over November and December) that the Epcot resorts do not share buses to MK or AK. The YC/BC will share, but there are sister resorts and the same as the Swan/Dolphin. The Boardwalk has it's own bus to both MK and AK. Personally, when I have stayed at MK resorts, I don't think the location is the greatest because you have to share buses to DHS and AK. Overall, I think the Epcot resorts are the best location for all parks and you can walk to 2 parks.

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and need a plan B. We're hoping to stay at GF, but the budget may not work out, so we're trying to pick a plan B resort. I think we've narrowed it down to Yacht Club or Poly, but are open to other options. We just stayed at AKL this January, so would rather not stay there again (although we loved it!).

We'll be spending one day at each park, but have hoppers so may do two parks a day. My favorite park is MK, fiance's is Epcot. We're usually rope drop to close people, but we're going in August so might do mid-day breaks just out of necessity. We don't have any resort-only days besides the arrival day, so I think just the overall feel of the resort is more important than specific amenities (restaurants, pools, etc).

We're doing the second part of our honeymoon in the Bahamas, so not sure if Poly would be too much of the tropical theme. Which would you choose?

I have stayed at both 2x. (Just got back from YC stay.) They are both beautiful. For Aug, I like to stay under 1 roof. There are thunderstorms most afternoons. The Poly rooms are in separate buildings from the restaurants, etc. So, you'll get wet if you want to get a snack, etc. If you are caught in a storm at the YC, there are lots of places to walk if you don't want to get wet.

We typically stay at the Boardwalk and I can say from experience (granted this is over November and December) that the Epcot resorts do not share buses to MK or AK. The YC/BC will share, but there are sister resorts and the same as the Swan/Dolphin. The Boardwalk has it's own bus to both MK and AK. Personally, when I have stayed at MK resorts, I don't think the location is the greatest because you have to share buses to DHS and AK. Overall, I think the Epcot resorts are the best location for all parks and you can walk to 2 parks.

We stayed at Boardwalk in the summer of 2016 and we shared buses with Yacht/Beach and Swan Dolphin. Maybe it depends on time of year.

From Trip Advisor:

The Epcot Resorts (Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club and Beach Club are within walking distance of both Epcot and Hollywood Studios with bus transportation to the other parks. Depending on the season and time of day all five Epcot Resorts may share a bus. This can be a particular problem with the Beach Club which is last on the route and may be skipped by outbound buses if they are full. We have waited for nearly an hour beforecan MK bus stopped there.

Last edited:
We stayed at Boardwalk in the summer of 2016 and we shared buses with Yacht/Beach and Swan Dolphin. Maybe it depends on time of year.

In November of 2017 it changed. Now the vast majority of the time for MK and AK, YC and BC share a bus, Swan and Dolphin share a bus and Boardwalk has it's own for

We honeymooned at the YC and had a great time! We went to Epcot almost every day even if was just for a drink in one of the countries. It turned my DH into a Disney lover :thumbsup2

I have stayed at both 2x. (Just got back from YC stay.) They are both beautiful. For Aug, I like to stay under 1 roof. There are thunderstorms most afternoons. The Poly rooms are in separate buildings from the restaurants, etc. So, you'll get wet if you want to get a snack, etc. If you are caught in a storm at the YC, there are lots of places to walk if you don't want to get wet.
. This would be my logic. I don't think you can go wrong though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter