Polynesian OR Wilderness Lodge

My family loves the Wilderness Lodge, and I would say you should do that... except for one factor. You have a 2yo. Based on that one major fact alone, Poly is my vote.

Really, there is no right/wrong answer. You'd love either, I'm sure.

I have stayed at both properties, and had awesome vacations at both! You really can't go wrong with either one and will enjoy yourself at both! If you really want to do the extras, then switch. If you would rather stay in a little bit larger room and don't mind not having the extras then stay where you. Just make a decision, don't second guess yourself and enjoy your vacation! I promise it will be great either way!!

Some people have said that the Poly pools are better than the Wildernness Lodge pools, but I dont beleive that. They both have one themed slide pool, one quiet pool and a children's wet play area. I would say the pools are about the same size. The Poly pool gets very busy, but aside from that I would say they are basically equal pool wise.

If you go by ratings on Trip Advisor Wilderness Lodge is the higher rated resort, which I would personally agree with. The Poly seems more popular on the boards though.

Some people have said that the Poly pools are better than the Wildernness Lodge pools, but I don't believe that.
I was thinking that myself. A previous poster equated the WL pool with the Contemporary... not on your life! The contemporary is one of the worst non-motel pools in Kissimmee. The WL feature pool is themed, and imho at worst a micro-step down from the Poly volcano pool.

I was thinking that myself. A previous poster equated the WL pool with the Contemporary... not on your life! The contemporary is one of the worst non-motel pools in Kissimmee. The WL feature pool is themed, and imho at worst a micro-step down from the Poly volcano pool.

Hallelujah. The pool is one of the main reason we don't stay at the Contemp. I wish Disney could find to way to stick to the original theming and create a more interesting pool at the same time. Both of the Wilderness Lodge pools are better than the Contemp pool.

My 2 Favs on property. Staying in Poly in Sept and WL in Dec.
I often stay at multiple resorts on a single trip (a split stay) depending on how long you are going, maybe that is something you can consider, although with 3 children, it may be a hassle. Anyway, thats an option, you can decide if its is a good one.

The good news is you have a win win situation.
The poly - on the monorail, so getting to MK is pretty simple - and based on your kids ages, that will probably be a common destination.
Probably a more child friendly pool theme - although both pools are great
Captain Cooks - one of the best quick serve places - and open 24 hours.
Trader Sams - nice place for a cocktail (if you can get in) - but even if you cant, sitting out back with the Ukulele player playing is so nice.
Great view of MK fireworks, and Electric Water Padgent
Walk to the TTC for monorail over to Epcot.
Beautiful grounds.
Dole whips on premises
The little "play area" right outside the Great Ceremonial House where they do kids activities has a nice view of the castle.

One caveat about the poly - MK is always in view...will kids be nagging you to go there on your resort day (and will that be a bother)

WL
Also beautiful grounds - less floral that Poly, but still just beautiful.
Less Transportation options. Boat to MK - Bus to everywhere else.
Still a really nice pool - just not quite as child themed as Poly.
Geyser Point - my favorite place on property for a snack and a drink (Trader Sams is second) - but more adult oriented, but sitting on the lake, you get a great view of Electric Water Padgent
Don't get the fireworks view like you do at the poly.

You can not lose either way. Both resorts will offer great resort days. If you feel having some additional funds would improve your vacation experience, I would go with WL. If that is not that big of a deal then stick with Poly.

Do you want to feel like your in the south pacific or the pacific northwest?

One last thought - if you ever plan another trip, and its for Christmas time - WL destroys the poly in terms of decorations. If thats ever a possibility, you could do WL on a trip like that. (I own DVC at wilderness lodge just for christmas time)

Last edited:
I don't think you could go wrong with either. Have you priced out any of the other deluxe resorts such as Beach Club or Boardwalk? Being in that area has advantage of walking or taking a boat to HS or Epcot. I agree that there is no best resort while at Disney because everybody has their favorite and it's all subjective. Since this is your first trip, I think you will be happy wherever you end up staying. Each resort is wonderful in it's own way whether it's food choices, theme or proximity to parks. If it were me, though, I would spend a little less on the room and add a few fun activities whether its an after hours party, early morning magic or even the Halloween party.

I feel your pain because I have a very hard time convincing myself that where I've selected is the right place to be and I've been known to change my mind about rooms that's for sure.

We are booked for a late September trip at the Polynesian. It is our first Disney trip, and we are so excited! It will be my husband, myself, 10 yr old, 6 yr old, and a 2 yr old. We picked the Polynesian because most of the YouTube vlogs that we have watched made it seem like it was the best resort on property. (I agree that it looks absolutely stunning.) Our trip is basically paid for. I was going to make our final payment this Friday, but I am having second thoughts about our resort choice. We have the dining plan, and plan to do 2 resort/non-park days.

The part that is making me second guess is really just the cost of the Polynesian. We have money set aside for tips and a few souvenirs, but that is it. We don't have any 'extras' planned. I'm not sure if it would be better to switch resorts and save all of the extra money for more experiences? Maybe a dessert party or two? I started looking at resorts again and saw how much we could save by switching to the Wilderness Lodge. I called and spoke with someone and they said that I could switch if I wanted to do so, but I couldn't decide!

I'm just not sure what to do, and I suppose it is really apples and oranges to compare the two resorts. We are from Illinois, and have never traveled outside the midwest, so all we know is a world of corn fields (yikes). Is Wilderness Lodge a good pick? Would we be happy there? Is it good for kids? Or is the ambiance and tropical vibe worth the hefty price tag at the Polynesian? We have a dining reservation for Ohana. I am looking forward to that! It looks so pretty and fun!

Suprisingly enough, we don't have any family, friends, or coworkers that have been to Disney, so I don't have anyone go ask personally or bounce thoughts off of. I must rely on the advice of strangers!!!

We've stayed at both multiple times and they are both beautiful resorts. With WL, you will have a smaller room and just 2 queens (no daybed). You will have boat access (and bus access) to MK, which is quite convenient to that park. What you lose (along with the size of the room) is monorail access not only to MK, but to the other resorts (GF and CR) which offer you some more dining options. You will also lose the option of walking to TTC to get the monorail to EP. With WL, however, you do have boat access to CR and Ft. W, which is super fun to visit for their playground and the horse stables (you could also go to dinner there at Trail's End or spend some of your saved money and see Hoop Dee Doo Revue). Transportation is a little slower at WL, IMHO, but, you could use some of that saved money on Minnie Vans to the other parks. You really can't go wrong with either resort. The pool at WL is a little smaller and there is a splash pad, plus there is more shade at that pool than at the Poly. Honestly, I think I would do the switch to WL, save that money, and pick an "extra" experience - Hoop Dee Doo, a dessert party (we love the HEA Plaza Garden dessert party), some Minnie Van rides, etc.

There's really no right or wrong answer, just need to find the right fit for you!

I've stayed at both, and based on the description of your party, Im inclined to say keep the poly if money is not a huge issue for you.

POLY PROS:
-Location: perhaps the best on property. Monorail access to MK, plus you can walk or monorail to the TTC next door for the EPCOT monorail line. That is a huge bonus, esp for your first trip as first timers often dont allocate enough travel time. (You can also see MK fireworks from the resort grounds).
-Food options: Poly has some of my favorite. Your kids will love Ohana. I can never get enough of the breakfast at Kona Cafe. I love grabbing a quick morning coffee and bagel at Kona Island before the parks. And for an adults only trip when your kids are in bed perhaps, Trader Sams is the most fun you'll have a bar. Oh and did I mention there is Dole Whip on property at Aloha Isle? Capt Cooks also has great quick service options.
-Atmosphere: The Poly just FEELS like you're on vacation. I imagine this will be especially true for you with your cornfield background ;)
-Pool: If themed pools are important for your kids, most families report that their young ones like this pool the best. Theres also a second quiet pool with a nice pool bar for frozen beverages.

POLY CONS:
-The Room: For a hotel that costs upwards of $700 a night....the rooms just don't cut it. Now, there's nothing bad about them, but there's definitely nothing special either. You can get a luxurious accommodation at a four seasons for what you pay for a completely basic hotel room at the poly. I felt very disappointed when I stepped in to my room there, and would not pay that amount for that room again (DVC rooms are super nice however). That said, with a large family, you may actually appreciate that there is lots of room to spread out. They are some of the largest hotel rooms in all of WDW, you can get 2 beds plus a pull out couch.

WL PROS:
-Atmosphere: not tropical like the Poly, but at WL you really feel like you've escaped somewhere. It transports you to the pacific northwest and you will feel a million miles away from the parks. Theres a stunning lobby, a babbling brook, beautiful grounds, and peaceful lake to look out on. It's just a wonderful place to come home to.
-I stayed in a Copper Creek room, and found this to be leagues better than the Poly in terms of how it was appointed. Just gorgeous and comfortable. But I think even the standard WL rooms feel more unique than the Poly rooms. However, all standard rooms at WL are 4 person occupancy and smaller than the poly. So your little one would need to be in a cot/crib, and that could be a deal breaker for your family.
-Pool: The slide isnt as intense as the Poly, but the theme is fun at both the active and quiet pools at WL. Plus your kids will have fun running over to watch the geyser shoot every hour.
-MK Boat: Such a fun and unique way to approach the Magic Kingdom. There's also a separate boat loop to Contemporary and Fort Wilderness campgrounds which increases your available dining options.

WL CONS:
-while Geyser Point is one of my favorite spots on property, Roaring Fork is not a great quick service place imo (I couldnt enjoy much besides the pulled pork). In addition, there is no coffee stand situation for your mornings like Poly has with Kona Island (if those things are important to you). So you must get morning breakfast/coffee in Roaring Fork which turns into more of a process than need be.
-The boat is fun for MK, but for every other park you will need to take a bus.

Though Wilderness Lodge would be my personal pick b/c of room quality and ambiance, my party (adults who have been many times) has different needs than your family. And I'm inclined to say that the ease of transportation plus the size of the Poly rooms will be the biggest benefit to you.

(snip)
If it were me, though, I would spend a little less on the room and add a few fun activities whether its an after hours party, early morning magic or even the Halloween party.
(snip)

Excellent point. Op said no extras were planned.

If staying at WL meant being able to go to MNSSHP and that would have to be passed over to stay at Poly, I would stay at WL (use the extra money for the Halloween Party). That would be a scale tipper for me.

You truly can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Personally, I have not stayed at the Poly (honestly the rooms are too outdated for the price they charge), but its location and transportation options are probably the best on property. The grounds are also beautiful, and the pool looks great too. I'll say I am a huge fan of WL. I find it absolutely stunning, and its compact enough where you don't have a far walk to get anything you need. Its rooms are also a bit outdated, but the resort is typically priced more reasonably. Like others have said, having everything under 1 roof is a huge perk imo. The poly is all individual buildings. One a nice day that won't be a problem, but FL weather is all over the place from late spring to early fall. It won't be pleasant walking around in the rain for anything (if it does rain). With that being said, I would not let that deter you from staying there. If you are drawn towards it due to its theme and amenities, then definitely stay there and consider WL for a future trip! With Disney it's great to try new resorts on each trip since they all provide unique experiences. The poly is a great start. The only thing I would say is that the poly and GF can be pretty comparable in price, and I'd take GF over poly at the moment due to the current state of the poly rooms. So if its not too much more I'd consider that option too.

I’ve been with kids. Poly with its larger rooms and extra bed along with monorail access would be my choice. Many so called extras don’t do anything for me (dessert parties are imo overpriced for what you get and MNSSHP is overcrowded lately...we stopped going after several years and now rope drop for time in less crowded parks).

Both are excellent but I would give nod to Poly because of slightly larger rooms and additional transportation options ie monorail (though I love taking the boat from WL to MK). Nothing wrong with savings some $ though. WL is still excellent including pools, roaring forks quick service, gorgeous lobby area etc.

I would pick WL to save money but also the rooms are for 4 people plus a child under 3. When your 2 year old turns 3 you won’t be able to stay there again unless in a suite. Stay at WL for this trip and maybe Poly for the next one!

I am originally from Illinois too (northern part). Because you have never left the Midwest, I would go with Poly. I I have similarly aged children-10, 7, & 2. I personally do not find the walk between buildings to be too far and have had to walk it in a downpour with a stroller (I recommend purchasing a stroller cover off of Amazon, it worked great for us).

However, I LOVE doing split stays for the best of both worlds. If I were in your shoes, I would probably do Poly split with Animal Kingdom Lodge (which should be cheaper than Poly, but you can also rent dvc points through a dvc rental site and get it even cheaper). AKL will blow your mind as a Midwesterner and your kids will love it too. I would then take the money saved and without a doubt do a Halloween Party. The parade is amazing and unlike any parade you would have been to. I would skip the dessert parties.

I agree that there isn't one best property. I can't really tell you which would be better, but I'll offer some comments based on my experiences that I haven't heard here yet (or heard but want to reemphasize).

The Poly is one of the original WDW resorts. It's been open since 1971. There are people that enjoy staying there because of its history and ties with Walt Disney (the man, not the park lol). The rooms are bigger than other resorts, but they are more outdated. This can be a turn off for some due to the price you are paying, and the comparison to newer resort rooms. If you need or are counting on having two queen beds and a day bed, be aware that not every Poly room has that. The monorail is a great mode of transportation. However, be aware that the monorails do go down fairly often. When they do, you'll either be waiting for them to be running again, or waiting for the bus like you would be at a non-monorail resort anyway.

I'd suggest watching youtube videos of rooms at both resorts. They will give you a better idea of what the rooms look and feel like, vs relying on the photos on the WDW website. If you plan to eat quick service meals at the resorts, I'd also recommend checking out the menus online for each resort. Dining is a subjective topic. Just because a lot of people love the options doesn't mean your family will.

Good luck with your decision! I think your family will be happy in either resort!

It really is a personal preference . You need to decide what the priorities. I prefer WL because I love the smaller feel and privacy feeling of the resort. Disclaimer, Im from Florida, so the wilderness feels more like Im on vacation as opposed to the island theme.
But I get that with a toddler, the monorail is a huge plus.

Look at the menus, transportation, youtube videos of the surroundings..

WL by a mile imo. Not near as busy and hectic. Great place to wind down after a long day at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter