Polynesian again for next year or should we give YC a chance?

DeeCeeSW

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
We're probably going to book for November 2003 in January (using a returning guest code) but can't decide if we should return to the Polynesian or try out the Yacht Club. I love that the rooms at the Poly are probably the largest on Disney property and I know that YC's rooms are smaller. However, YC is in walking distance of the Boardwalk, which gives us many dining options.

I would love to hear why YC would be a good choice from those who have stayed there and at the Poly as well!

We stayed at the YC Lagoon View Concierge last year. The rooms are light and refreshing. Being they just got an update, they will be even brighter. The YC is very nice and comfy.
We are more MK people, so we wished we would have stayed at one of the Monorail Resorts. If you are Epcot, Boardwalk people..........YOU WILL LOVE IT. The atmosphere was kind of Cape Cod'sh. The resturants are good and we had a blast at
Storm along Bay. It all depends on your likes. I hope this helps and not confuses you more.
Wendi

We have stayed at both resorts and enjoyed them both but we keep returning to the Yacht Club! (We'll be back there in Nov. 2003 also but not sure of dates yet)

The Polynesian is great for easy access to the Magick Kingdom, but it's not much fun during the times when it closes at 6:00. Then you have to go on a bus to EPCOT or MGM (AK closes early also) with everyone else. (or the monorail to EPCOT)

When you are at the YC (or BC) you are within walking distance to EPCOT, MGM & the Boardwalk. You can also take the ferry. These places are open later than the others - even in November. It is wonderful to walk around at night. You also have all the restaurants in world showcase close by. (the burgers at beaches & cream at the BC are everything people say about them!)

I could go on and on about the area. I would suggest that you try the YC - you won't be disappointed!

Jill

Can you please explain the "returning guest code." We've returned often and have never received one:D ?

We've not stayed at the Yacht Club but have been at the BC a few times (for short stays) and at the Poly many times. For us the Polynesian is like a little slice of heaven. We enjoy the beautiful grounds, very friendly and experienced CMs, the large rooms and the monorail access to the GF and CR restaurants. You can't beat having three ways to get to the MK and the short walk to the Epcot monorail. We love the beach and pools. It wouldn't be a trip to WDW without breakfast at Kona for us.

The Y&B Clubs are beautiful. We love the decor. The smaller room size is a drawback for us. We also don't enjoy the long corridors as much as the outside walks at the Poly. Stormalong Bay is really cool but not as relaxing to our family. We also don't care for the busy atmosphere of the Boardwalk area. Walking to Epcot is great.

Of course all this is so subjective. I think you are picking between two great resorts.

could someone please explain the returning code? We stayed at AKL last January and have current ressies in 3 weeks for $133 per nignt standard(including tax). We were spoiled last year with savannah view for same price! Please let me know if there is something other than the code I used. If it's worth anything, I just received a letter from BC resort stating that stormalongbay will be going thru rehab on January 3, 2003. It states the shipwreck slide will be closed and be completed by April 2003. but the pool as well as the tidal wave quiet pool will be open. And during this time if you wish to have slide access, the Luna Park pool at the Boardwalk resort will be accepting YC and BC guests including shuttle transportation.

I have never stayed at Poly, but stayed at YC in June and fell in love!

The rooms are decorated very cute.

Stormalong Bay is awesome. I even went down the slide. The sand bottom is so cool and feels so good on your feet.

We could walk out our room and be inside Epcot in less than 10 minutes!

Boardwalk is a short walk away!

Beaches & Cream is right there for great ice cream.

Cape May Breakfast which is my fav is near by.

I think you should give it a try!:D

How about splitting your stay? We just returned from the B.C. in Nov. and thought it was great because my hubby loves Epcot. Very easy walk. Of course I am a M.K. girl and love to go there. I am going with my mom and 4 year old in May and we are splitting between Ft. Wilderness cabins and Poly concierge. Good Luck and have a great time.

I completely agree with all the above posters reasons for choosing the Yacht Club.

I have stayed at the Poly 3 times and the YC 4 times.
The Poly is beautiful, and a tropical Paradise, very convenient to MK.

the Yacht Club is wonderful, the rooms are smaller, but I love the decor, the new decor is especially beautiful, light and airy. there are hidden mickeys on the bedspreads, and a few other places too ;)
the location is the best! walking to Epcot and MGM, and the Boardwalk is so convenient.
The pool, SAB, is way better than any pool I have ever seen. I usually am not a pool person, but at SAB, I always want to go in it!

There are many reasons as the other replies said also, but another one too, is to try something different! :)

Have a a great time planning!

Laura :)

Thank you for your responses. We have a lot to think about! Regarding the "return code," we received a card on our door (just like the "Privacy Please" card) while we were still staying at the Poly. The rquirement to receive the discount was to book a room for next year prior to checking out. There was a little glitch with the printing of the cards (long story) so Disney will not book my reservation until January.

The card is for 40% off rack rates (the same as if we were to wait for the codes to come out on Mousesavers.com in September 2003 for November 2003). In this instance we get to book 8 months ahead with this code, a great thing, I think! I asked if anyone could use this code, and the answer was no, I guess they have the names, dates and room numbers of those they have given the postcards to? I assume it is similar to receiving a postcard in the mail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter