Poly this nov/dec

DanieB

Mouseketeer
Hello,
We have never been to the poly and planning to stay right after thanksgiving. I saw some reviews mentioning this might not be a good year to visit because there is work being done on the property. Should we be worried? We are not regular visitors so waiting for our "next" visit isn't an option. I apologize if this info is posted somewhere and I haven't found it yet. We have not been to WDW since 2019 and I am drowning in planning overwhelm at the moment! Thanks!

Hello,
We have never been to the poly and planning to stay right after thanksgiving. I saw some reviews mentioning this might not be a good year to visit because there is work being done on the property. Should we be worried? We are not regular visitors so waiting for our "next" visit isn't an option. I apologize if this info is posted somewhere and I haven't found it yet. We have not been to WDW since 2019 and I am drowning in planning overwhelm at the moment! Thanks!

Hi there. The current Poly work is a new DVC tower being constructed on the former Luau Cove area between Poly and the Grand Floridian Wedding Chapel. It is a material project involving high rise construction along with a new pool and is expected to be completed late 2024. However Poly is a relatively wide resort and it is basically “off to the side” and out of the way for a large majority of Poly guests. It can be a material impact for the Standard View category on the hotel side as some (but not all) of those rooms directly face the site. For that reason I would be cautious of booking that category, and if you do just know what you’re getting in to and make sure to request a location in one of the longhouses away from construction. But for all other room types, it is my opinion that the construction is predominantly a non-issue and won’t have a negative impact on your stay.

Note the walking path to GF (and the Poly gym) is currently detoured around the site and it’s certainly not as pretty a walk like it once was, but it’s still manageable.

Hope that helps, happy to answer any questions.

Hi there. The current Poly work is a new DVC tower being constructed on the former Luau Cove area between Poly and the Grand Floridian Wedding Chapel. It is a material project involving high rise construction along with a new pool and is expected to be completed late 2024. However Poly is a relatively wide resort and it is basically “off to the side” and out of the way for a large majority of Poly guests. It can be a material impact for the Standard View category on the hotel side as some (but not all) of those rooms directly face the site. For that reason I would be cautious of booking that category, and if you do just know what you’re getting in to and make sure to request a location in one of the longhouses away from construction. But for all other room types, it is my opinion that the construction is predominantly a non-issue and won’t have a negative impact on your stay.

Note the walking path to GF (and the Poly gym) is currently detoured around the site and it’s certainly not as pretty a walk like it once was, but it’s still manageable.

Hope that helps, happy to answer any questions.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful! We were looking at the different room options so this confirms to opt for something other than standard just to be safe. Happy to know we can still make it work … we have been waiting to stay at the poly and can’t wait!

The DVC side of the resort is on the opposite side of construction. We stayed there over Christmas and didn't even see the construction unless we were on the monorail or walking over to the GF. You can book DVC villas with cash or through a broker like DVC rental store. They partner with the Dis. It's a great resort! Happy planning!

The DVC side of the resort is on the opposite side of construction. We stayed there over Christmas and didn't even see the construction unless we were on the monorail or walking over to the GF. You can book DVC villas with cash or through a broker like DVC rental store. They partner with the Dis. It's a great resort! Happy planning!
Thanks so much for this info! We are so exciting to be planning a stay here. I might be more excited than my kids 😊

I saw a stroller up against the construction fence from someone in a very pricy cash room from the monorail.

You could be staring at a construction fence or up against very loud construction. I'm a hard pass.

No way I would be staying (cash not DVC) Poly until it at least isn't fenced off. Who knows when that is. Maybe mid 2024?

I saw a stroller up against the construction fence from someone in a very pricy cash room from the monorail.

You could be staring at a construction fence or up against very loud construction. I'm a hard pass.

No way I would be staying (cash not DVC) Poly until it at least isn't fenced off. Who knows when that is. Maybe mid 2024?
That is what I am worried about. I was thinking certain room categories will keep us from facing the construction - did you see what areas were affected?

That is what I am worried about. I was thinking certain room categories will keep us from facing the construction - did you see what areas were affected?
You can see it on the map of Poly. You wouldn't be near it with DVC or club level. And to some degree pool view. And I think there are some other view categories. With bad luck, you could be right on this construction. It is CLOSE to a couple of the cash buildings.

Completely unacceptable for how much these rooms cost IMO.

Also, the construction calls for parking lot changes as well. That could be very disruptive, and who knows when they do that part.

You can see it on the map of Poly. You wouldn't be near it with DVC or club level. And to some degree pool view. And I think there are some other view categories. With bad luck, you could be right on this construction. It is CLOSE to a couple of the cash buildings.

Completely unacceptable for how much these rooms cost IMO.

Also, the construction calls for parking lot changes as well. That could be very disruptive, and who knows when they do that part.
Thank you for this info!

If you google room finder for the Poly you'll be able to look up room categories and what specific buildings they are in. Then you can book a room accordingly and request a room in a certain building. Or for example, if you go the DVC route- you'll know that those rooms are only in Pago Pago, Moorea or Tokelau buildings- all of which aren't affected by construction so it won't matter what room your in!

If you google room finder for the Poly you'll be able to look up room categories and what specific buildings they are in. Then you can book a room accordingly and request a room in a certain building. Or for example, if you go the DVC route- you'll know that those rooms are only in Pago Pago, Moorea or Tokelau buildings- all of which aren't affected by construction so it won't matter what room your in!
Oh wow I had no idea I could get all this info! Thanks!

We are staying on the hotel side the first week of June and Standard View is the one you want to avoid there. Aotearoa is Standard and overlooks the construction site. Our TA booked us Pool/Marina, Samoa will avoid construction entirely as it's in the center of the resort between the pools and next to the CL building. Fiji there may be some noise impact during the day but Pool/Marina view rooms face the marina and not the site. We requested Samoa.

DVC side doesn't have the issue at all, it's clear on the other side of the resort. We were actually booked in a DVC studio originally for this trip and the only reason we switched was because the DVC rooms were excluded when discounts were released for our dates.

We are staying on the hotel side the first week of June and Standard View is the one you want to avoid there. Aotearoa is Standard and overlooks the construction site. Our TA booked us Pool/Marina, Samoa will avoid construction entirely as it's in the center of the resort between the pools and next to the CL building. Fiji there may be some noise impact during the day but Pool/Marina view rooms face the marina and not the site. We requested Samoa.

DVC side doesn't have the issue at all, it's clear on the other side of the resort. We were actually booked in a DVC studio originally for this trip and the only reason we switched was because the DVC rooms were excluded when discounts were released for our dates.
Thank you! We were actually looking to book pool/marina after hearing standard may be stuck with the construction view. I think we will go with that to be safe. Have a wonderful trip!

What room requests do people make for Poly DVC rooms? We are there in early December for the first time and I'm not sure what I should consider when making a room request. Thanks!

I'm with RoseGold. Don't until it's done would be my plan. The Poly's a lovely resort that's something of a mess with all that currently.

Maybe I just had more than I cared for of seeing that ugly chunk of concrete when we went out of VGF1 in May. We didn't have any view of it from our villa, didn't hear any noise from it or the GF construction.

I suppose I'm just beyond weary from the seemingly endless Epcot construction that still feels like being a mouse in a maze what with all those barricades.

Honestly, I think it's neverending. Feels like it, anyway. Yeah, a very entitled rant. But, daggone it, Disney! Will all this construction ever end?

I'm with RoseGold. Don't until it's done would be my plan. The Poly's a lovely resort that's something of a mess with all that currently.

Maybe I just had more than I cared for of seeing that ugly chunk of concrete when we went out of VGF1 in May. We didn't have any view of it from our villa, didn't hear any noise from it or the GF construction.

I suppose I'm just beyond weary from the seemingly endless Epcot construction that still feels like being a mouse in a maze what with all those barricades.

Honestly, I think it's neverending. Feels like it, anyway. Yeah, a very entitled rant. But, daggone it, Disney! Will all this construction ever end?
Thanks for sharing your input. As someone who doesn't get to go often it feels like there is so much construction to avoid and hard to figure out when and where to go to avoid all this!

As someone who doesn't get to go often it feels like there is so much construction to avoid and hard to figure out when and where to go to avoid all this!

That would be tough, because you naturally want a trip that's magical.

We probably go too often for me not to be weary of the construction. Definitely an entitled concern, huh?

As others have said, you can book a pool/marina view which will get you some distance that may alleviate any noise that could be annoying if closer. I'd do that if determined to stay Poly hotel side.

A room request is never guaranteed. It's just a "Pleeease, Disney, may we?" Said request could land you in a somewhat disagreeable room. Even then, you can go to the front desk and ask to be moved but very well might not be able to.

But, if it's unlikely you'll return anytime soon, staying where your dreams want you to be can overcome quite a lot of drawbacks. Your heart's wish will tell you what the best decision is for you.

That would be tough, because you naturally want a trip that's magical.

We probably go too often for me not to be weary of the construction. Definitely an entitled concern, huh?

As others have said, you can book a pool/marina view which will get you some distance that may alleviate any noise that could be annoying if closer. I'd do that if determined to stay Poly hotel side.

A room request is never guaranteed. It's just a "Pleeease, Disney, may we?" Said request could land you in a somewhat disagreeable room. Even then, you can go to the front desk and ask to be moved but very well might not be able to.

But, if it's unlikely you'll return anytime soon, staying where your dreams want you to be can overcome quite a lot of drawbacks. Your heart's wish will tell you what the best decision is for you.
Thanks so much for your input. So many Disney decisions to make!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter