Poly...should we or shouldn't we...that is the question

Haygar2

DIS Veteran
Our 25th anniversary is next year and I am starting to plan our vacation. Based on this year (for the time frame we are going next year) the Poly has minimal discounts. The Poly is my dream resort. I have always wanted to stay there. And my husband is in agreement. He wants to swim in the pool. LOL. Who am I to argue? Is it worth potentially paying rack rate or should I maybe try somewhere else? Looks like the 30% discounts are a thing of the past anyway. We could look into DVC points, but that makes me nervous because you can't cancel once you book it. You just never know what might come up.

You should. :)
Go for a couple of days and do a split stay st a Value resort if money is an issue. That's what we do.
It's not the money. The nice thing about planning a year in advance is I put some back every month and it will be paid for by the time the trip rolls around. I guess I should just plan on rack rate and if we get a discount we get lucky. LOL

Who knows what the discounts will be next year! You’re right, they’ve been pretty skimpy. Late summer has some of the best discounts. And it sounds like that’s about your time frame, late August? When you book don’t forget to mention you’re celebrating your 25th Anniversary.

Our first Poly stay was for our 26 th Anniversary( just couldn’t swing it for our 25th). We loved it and it was worth every penny. We even were upgraded to a lagoon view that could have been described as a TPV. We let them know we were celebrating when we made the Ressie and when we checked in. Staying again this year for a belated 37th Anniversary!

Yes to the Poly.
Did you look at mousesavers 'historical discounts?' They have a chart of when the room discounts were released each year, stay dates covered, and range of discounts. At least you'll have a good guess as to when to look for them.

Our first Poly stay was for our 26 th Anniversary( just couldn’t swing it for our 25th). We loved it and it was worth every penny. We even were upgraded to a lagoon view that could have been described as a TPV. We let them know we were celebrating when we made the Ressie and when we checked in. Staying again this year for a belated 37th Anniversary!

Congratulations!! I would love it if we would get upgraded to a better view. All I am hoping for is that I am not looking at the parking lot. Thank you for telling me that it was worth it. Makes my decision a bit easier. lol

We’re here now and everytime we come I remember why I love it so much - Capt Cooks, Pineapple Lanai, tropical feel/look, and Hawaiian music piped through resort with tiki torches lit at night....AMAZING

Yes! This! On a previous visit we ate at Kona 3 times. I had an addiction to the Samoan for breakfast. So sad to see it gone. And my husband really wants to swim in the pool.

Who knows what the discounts will be next year! You’re right, they’ve been pretty skimpy. Late summer has some of the best discounts. And it sounds like that’s about your time frame, late August? When you book don’t forget to mention you’re celebrating your 25th Anniversary.

Sorry. We will be there the first full week in August. As long as my school schedule stays the same too. I started back to school this past January and I will go through summers until I graduate. So we have to plan around that.

Since money doesn’t seem to be a factor, go for it! The convenience of booking directly with WDW gives you the piece of mind it sounds like renting DVC points might not. However, if you did want to go the DVC route, some credit cards offer trip insurance or you can purchase it separately, too, for a minimal cost. Congratulations on 25 Years!!!

:cheer2:

The Poly was out of reach for us this year as well. So we were booked at Yacht Club using a PIN code. Then YC came out with a better AP discount and I had that applied. Then one day I was screwing around checking various discounts and found that Contemporary Garden Wing was available(CR is one of the few deluxes let to cross off our list). I was waffling back and forth about switching because the pool is nothing special and one of my sons loves the YC. As I was about to make the change to CR I was on the website checking pricing and dates for the PIN code and comparing them to the AP discount and up pops a deal for the Poly thats only about 50$ more per night than YC. I'd been looking for 2 months and nothing was available at Poly for under 600$ per night. Booked it immediately. You just never know what is going to come available I guess.

Our 25th anniversary is next year and I am starting to plan our vacation. Based on this year (for the time frame we are going next year) the Poly has minimal discounts. The Poly is my dream resort. I have always wanted to stay there. And my husband is in agreement. He wants to swim in the pool. LOL. Who am I to argue? Is it worth potentially paying rack rate or should I maybe try somewhere else? Looks like the 30% discounts are a thing of the past anyway. We could look into DVC points, but that makes me nervous because you can't cancel once you book it. You just never know what might come up.

I would book at the current rate and keep checking back for discounts. Polynesian is my favorite, we stayed there for my golden birthday last year :)

I recommend finding a travel agency that offers agency-exclusive rates on Disney resorts. That's what I do and it really helps. The rates are lower than anything you can get directly from Disney.

When we booked Poly for last September (but didn't go because of Irma) we rented DVC points and it was HALF of what the rack rate showed on the Disney website. So I would definitely look into that!! We purchased the Point Protection Plan and it covered cancellation.

Doing the same route for our next 2 trips, along with the trip protection plan because we have had crazy things come up around vacation time in the past and have learned our lesson.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter