• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly or Beach Club? Help us decide!

alimcn

Earning My Ears
We are planning an August 2021 trip. We go quite often and have stayed at many of the resorts. Our favorites are the Beach Club & the Poly. The past few times, we've stayed at the Beach Club--my husband's favorite, great water slide for our daughter, mermaid school, easy walk to Epcot, convenient transportation and the Skyliner stop is now very close. But we do love the Polynesian--our favorite lobby, great pool (but the water slide isn't quite as fun), super easy with the monorail, we love everything Hawaiian, and MK is a couple of minutes away.

We seem to change our mind daily. Do we stick with the Beach Club because we love it or do we head to the Poly this time around for a change? We know can't lose with either way but can you help us sway us? Which would you pick? :confused: :)

We’ve done a split stay of GF and Beach Club — planned most of our MK and AK days while staying at GF and then our Epcot and HS days while staying at Beach Club. What about something like that?

A split stay would give you the best of both worlds, but if that's not an option, my choice would be the Poly.

Like others mentioned, I’d do a split stay. We love both resorts and usually do a split stay between the two because we can never decide.

In August, I'd do Beach Club. The pool is nicer and it's easier to walk into Epcot to have dinner when it's raining/super hot.

Try renting a cabana at the pool one day to make the most of it. We really enjoyed it ... we did it on a day we were going to an after dark event.

I agree with the above. I've stayed at Beach Club in August and that pool + lazy river + waterslide + Beaches and Cream is just a perfect hot day combo!!

It would depend on which parks you plan on spending the most time in. We used to stay at Poly just about every trip but that was before the Epcot resorts opened. Once they opened, there was no going back. We spend maybe a half day at MK but some of just about every day at Epcot. We also do split stays but usually with a value or moderate and an Epcot resort. Day 1 and/or 2 spent at MK and AK, the rest of the trip usually at Epcot and or HS with an occasional side trip to either MK or AK. We always have PHs so that helps.

I would vote for the split stay. I would do a couple of days at Poly and then the rest at BC. Those days you are at the Poly, you could do MK on those days. This is the approach we take when we do split stays. I'm always looking for ways to minimize the amount of times we need to take the bus! :)

I agree it depends on the parks you spend the most time in. If all things are equal and since you’re not going during festival season I would say the Poly. But I’m in the minority in the sense that I think SAB is grossly overhyped by people, and I really struggled to find decent casual/QS dining in that area without going into Epcot (tbf Beaches and Cream was closed for refurb when I stayed at BC but the menu bores me anyway). I found myself really missing the MK area when I stayed at BC. It’s not a bad resort but I didn’t like the hallways on hallways setup and again the food was severely lacking there. For a F&W weekend trip it was perfect, but I don’t think I could do a standard week long vacation there.

It's close but I'd vote for Poly. I absolutely LOVE walking around the resort late at night. It's so peaceful with the lanterns lighting your way. BC has the better pool, but there is someone magical about sitting in the Poly pool and seeing the castle in the distance. By August '21, the walkway between GF and MK should be open, which means at park closing, when there are thousands of people waiting for buses and the monorail, you have the option of taking leisurely walk back to your resort.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I have thought about a split stay but to pack up in the middle of the week and spend half a day moving to a different resort doesn't sound too appealing. For you split-stayers, do find it worth it or a hassle?

We love both resorts; I would go the split stay route. We have done this several times and absolutely loved it. I preferred to throw our stuff back in the luggage and take an Uber over to the next resort, drop bags at bell desk then head to wherever was on the agenda that day. Just plan accordingly and this way you can also plan park days around the respective resorts for convenience. BC and Poly both have a ton of positives so time at each is the ultimate win-win for your vacation!

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I have thought about a split stay but to pack up in the middle of the week and spend half a day moving to a different resort doesn't sound too appealing. For you split-stayers, do find it worth it or a hassle?

I'm the same way. I see people always saying split-stays are great, but once I'm unpacked, I don't want to pack up again until departure day.

I would stick with BC. Better pool and easy and quick access to two parks. When that hot sun is baking at 12 noon you can head back for a break at the pool with ease.

We aren't fans of split stays, especially when it's super hot and you end up homeless during the hottest and/or stormiest part of the day.

If you do it, have a good plan for the day in case the weather doesn't cooperate, like a guided tour or special lunch reservation.

Beach Club. Don't forget the convenience of being close to DHS! With the new boarding group system, it is necessary to be in the park pre-rope drop & you can walk there in a pinch. I don't think there is anything better than Crescent Lake at night.

I would stay at the Beach Club...I have stayed at the MK resorts but I found my "home" at the YC/BC. The MK resorts are great for proximity to the MK, but that is it in my opinion. The Epcot resorts are more central. For August, I enjoy the pool more at YC/BC. The Poly pool is too small for the amount of people where I have always been able to find a chair at Stormalong Bay. I am not a fan of split stays because I like my midday pool break and want to be sure I have a room to go shower and change in before heading back to the parks for dinner, etc. Have fun planning!

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning more towards Beach Club...with a few visits to Ohana and to pin trade at the Poly. Summer 2021 can't come soon enough!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter