Poly News - Kiki Tikis Splash Play Area Refurbishment February through March 2021

GADisneyDad14

Disney Resorts Board
I have not seen this discussed/posted, but looks like Disney recently added the refurb notice below to their website. Glad they are doing this kind of thing while the resort side is closed, but that's really short notice for Villa guests for what is a rather popular amenity for the kiddos. Granted I have kids at prime splash pad ages, but this would have us looking to make a change if we had a reservation during this time.

Kiki Tikis Splash Play Area will be closed while it undergoes refurbishment from February through March 2021. While Kiki Tikis is unavailable, Guests at Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows may enjoy the Lava feature pool and slide and the Oasis pool.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/polynesian-resort/

Kind of bummed to hear about this. We just booked a last minute Poly trip for the end-ish of Feb. Decided to take advantage of the lower guest occupancy with the refurb since it's my dream resort. Now I am starting to think I'll be over paying for a not so great version of the Poly.

Kind of bummed to hear about this. We just booked a last minute Poly trip for the end-ish of Feb. Decided to take advantage of the lower guest occupancy with the refurb since it's my dream resort. Now I am starting to think I'll be over paying for a not so great version of the Poly.
Do you have young children? My daughter was obsessed with this play area when she was 3, and I’d be totally bummed too if I had young children and was staying when it was closed for refurb.

I was so excited to stay for the same reasons and I feel like the splash pad may be topper. We're thinking of changing to the GF. I don't know where else?

I was so excited to stay for the same reasons and I feel like the splash pad may be topper. We're thinking of changing to the GF. I don't know where else?

GF is a great choice, they have a big splash pad area. Wilderness Lodge also has a great splash pad area for the kids. (Copper Creek Villas or Boulder Ridge are both currently open) You can always look up videos on YouTube and see which one your kids like better!! You honestly can’t go wrong with either!! Good luck deciding!

Last edited:
I’m also bummed about Kiki Tikis being closed. We’re going in March and dedicated 2 non-park days to explore WDW and enjoy the pool. With a young kid, a splash pad area was important to have. Now we have to see if there are any other DVC rooms somewhere else that are available for the dates we need. :sad:

I know this seems like a small thing, but it was in fact the last straw for us. Very disappointing we had to find out about these boards instead of getting a notification email from Disney, given we have a stay booked in March. We're not DVC (yet, this was our "scouting" trip) so we were paying cash and at over $600 a night (after room discount), there is simply too much we'd be missing out on. Kiddie areas at the pool are a really big thing for my youngest son, and while I can live with a resort that doesn't have one, I don't think he'd handle well us going to a pool that has a splash pad in full view that he can't go play on because it's closed for repairs.

Just booked a one bedroom at Old Key West instead. Think DS would like the sandcastle pool and the little wading area and sandy playground. Plus, it gives us a chance to try a one bedroom and see if the extra space is worth the tradeoff of having to deal with bus only transportation and internal bus loops. And we save a few hundred bucks as a bonus.

I know this seems like a small thing, but it was in fact the last straw for us. Very disappointing we had to find out about these boards instead of getting a notification email from Disney, given we have a stay booked in March. We're not DVC (yet, this was our "scouting" trip) so we were paying cash and at over $600 a night (after room discount), there is simply too much we'd be missing out on. Kiddie areas at the pool are a really big thing for my youngest son, and while I can live with a resort that doesn't have one, I don't think he'd handle well us going to a pool that has a splash pad in full view that he can't go play on because it's closed for repairs.

Just booked a one bedroom at Old Key West instead. Think DS would like the sandcastle pool and the little wading area and sandy playground. Plus, it gives us a chance to try a one bedroom and see if the extra space is worth the tradeoff of having to deal with bus only transportation and internal bus loops. And we save a few hundred bucks as a bonus.

It's not a small thing and I understand completely. We're now scrambling to change our reservation to any open DVC.

I just found out about this on this site. It was the last straw for us and so inconvenient to add yet another closure so close to our dates. We just booked at the Grand Floridian for our first stay there. I will miss staying at the Poly, but will look forward to be back when all of the amenities are available.

I just found out about this on this site. It was the last straw for us and so inconvenient to add yet another closure so close to our dates. We just booked at the Grand Floridian for our first stay there. I will miss staying at the Poly, but will look forward to be back when all of the amenities are available.

:welcome:to the boards! The GF is beautiful!! Enjoy your trip!

Do you have young children? My daughter was obsessed with this play area when she was 3, and I’d be totally bummed too if I had young children and was staying when it was closed for refurb.
My daughter is a little older but on the small side, so she likes to go to splash pads but will go to the big pool if its really busy and there are babies (she like to give the littler ones space).
I saw a lower rate for GF with the Visa Cardholder offer. I might be swayed to jump over there.

Thank you so much! I'm still feeling a little disappointed, but how can you have a bad time at the Grand Floridian?!?!? I know we will love it!

You can’t!!!! I LOVE the Grand!! It’s so beautiful! I’m sure you’ll have a great trip! Stop over on the GF board if you have any questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter