• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly concierge vs. standard room...is it worth it

sleepydoc

Earning My Ears
Our family of 4 (FW cabin alumni x many years) is heading to the Poly this March for 9 nights. We have AP rates for concierge...but today checked the standard room AP rates and they're $70+ dollars cheaper. It adds up over 9 nights...is it really worth it? My kids are 5 and 7.

Unless you plan on eating breakfast in your room to save money, then yes it does pay in my opinion. Breakfast for a family of 4 can easily run $30 and up. Now, free bottled water to take to the parks, at 2 bottles a piece at a park price of $2.50, you've now saved an additional $20 per night. There are snacks out all day, as well as beverages, has to amount to at least $10 per day. As well as deserts out every night, that another $10 per day at least. Now, add in secure building, private check-in and help with PS's, it's a no brainer to me!!! We love concierge at WDW, and other than staying in our DVC accomdations, we'll almost always stay concierge from now on!!!

Concierge is probably worth it, because of all the free food and drinks. I go up on the second floor and read a book a night when there is no one there. Feels great. If there is one reason why I would do concierge is because of one word: UNCRUSTABLES!!!

I say it is definately worth staying concierge.
You are not saving $70 a night at all by staying in a standard room.
when you stay concierge you have breakfast in th elounge every morning, snacks, and water all day.
so, how much do you think you'd really save if you hd to buy breakfast everymorning and snacks, and water..... if you ask me that adds up!!!!

Laura :)

I'm confused. I mean, do they put the water & snacks out in the AM so you can stock-up & bring them with you on the way to the parks?

When I'm at Disney, my day is spent in the parks, not at my hotel, so unless I was eating breakfast out every morning it doesn't seem to me to be that great a deal. As for snacks, what kinds are there? Are they the type to get all hot & mushy in your backpack? Do you want to leave the park to go back to your room to get cold water & snacks? Some people like the break, others do not. This would be easy on the monorail parks, but how much time would you wasts on the bus?

You say your children are 5 & 7, so are mine. Warm water would not go over well with mine, nor would saying, you have to wait until we get back to the room to get something to drink/eat.

I suppose I'd rather take the money & spend that $70x9=$630 on other things & bring my own breakfast & drink cold water at the parks. I would bring a refillable water bottle so when we got thirsty we could always refill at a water fountain.

Just thought I would give you another perspective. I'm sure that no matter what you choose, you will have a magical trip! :)

csmommy has some good points if you don't plan on enjoying the ammenities a resort has to offer. When we're in WDW we're only at the parks until around lunch and it's back to the resort for a rest and some pool time. Then around dinner, its off to wherever we're eating that night, and maybe a little more park time. So for me the concierge is GREAT and a time and money saver as well. Also, I like the personalized services you receive when staying concierge. If you plan on going all day at the parks, I agree that some of the money savings doesn't really apply, and if you plan on eating poptarts or the like in your room in the morning, then again it's doesn't help much. We usually go out to eat a few times we're there for the character breakfasts we like, and usually a stop at Kona is in order. The other ones we like the quickness and variety offered in the lounge. We're not big breakfast eaters, but a poptart or cereal bar in the room wouldn't satisfy me, my dh or my kids. In reality concierge, like anything else is a personal choice, and I like it so I don't mind spending the extra $$$ to receive it. The same applies to those who go to WDW and only eat at counter service since they can't fathom spending so much on a sit down meal. Me, we usually have at least one meal in a sitdown and sometimes two. Again, personal choice..... Do what you feel best, if you think the money savings is worthwhile to your family, don't stay concierge. Me, I'd spend that extra $$$ anyday for the pampering of concierge!!!

Edited for this... Also if you want to see all the Poly Concierge has to offer, go to this link. It's a link to Tikiman's website. He has a comprehensive listing on all the food offerings at the Poly Concierge, as well as some GREAT pictures!!!!

http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/conciergeservice.html

WE feel concierge was worth the extra money!! We figure for breakfest for three (continental ) Would be atleast 20.00 then as far as wine and appetizers before dinner (wine 6-7 a glass figure two each plus tip 20.00)
Then dessert at night (10.00) there is 50.00 and that is not counting snacks in the afternoon water and soda durring the day and at night! Plus the convienience of the staff helping with ps. For us it was worth it! Now if you will not be around the hotel much then no it is not worht the extra you would be better off bringing breakfest and water from home.

We thought it was worth it when we did it. At the time, we had a pre-teen & a teen , both boys, both eating machines, with us. Our teen certainly ate our monies worth, esp. on sushi night!
The concierge staff encourages you to stock up on sodas & waters etc.... They even got ginger ale for me, which wasn't available, otherwise... They arranged alot of things for us, we needed some special things because of health issues - It really made for a very easy, worry free trip. The pre-teen who was with us was a picky eater, but he still was able to find things to eat.

Thanks to all of you for your wise opinions!
jel0511- our family has the same philosophy. We spend some time in the parks, then back to the resort for lunch/pool/and maybe a nap, then on to the evening's events! It's a relaxing vacation without whining, overtired, miserable kids (most times!)
Leota-thanks for the info. We too have some health issues. My 5 yo DS has type 1 diabetes, so we have to be careful and watchful about everything that he eats (and some days he eats like a horse!) Having the concierge lounge may be helpful in that respect.
My DH was convinced the concierge was the right move-now you've all convinced me (the miser) as well! Some day when the kids are on the go all day, as csmommy mentioned, we may view it all differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter