Poly at Christmas-miss out on Holiday cheer

WendyisDarling

DIS Veteran
I've read so many posts about Christmas Decor. It seems Polynesian does very little, which I kind of understand.
Need to book our room like yesterday. We always stay Poly
and often split stay, but Polynesian is home base. We won't split stay this trip.
I've been looking at the deluxe resorts that are most commented on for the Christmas magnificence. But feel pulled back to our familiar. I know you can visit other resorts, but it's not the same as being in the midst of it.

For those who have stayed at Polynesian over Christmas, I'm sure you enjoyed yourselves , but did you regret not staying in a more festive resort?
And do you disagree that it lacks Christmas charm?

I've never stayed at Poly Christmas time or otherwise, but we've stayed at the Contemporary in November and didn't find anything spectacular about it. The smell of gingerbread also wore on me after a few days too.

I've read so many posts about Christmas Decor. It seems Polynesian does very little, which I kind of understand.
Need to book our room like yesterday. We always stay Poly
and often split stay, but Polynesian is home base. We won't split stay this trip.
I've been looking at the deluxe resorts that are most commented on for the Christmas magnificence. But feel pulled back to our familiar. I know you can visit other resorts, but it's not the same as being in the midst of it.

For those who have stayed at Polynesian over Christmas, I'm sure you enjoyed yourselves , but did you regret not staying in a more festive resort?
And do you disagree that it lacks Christmas charm?
I did not regret staying in a more heavily decorated resort. We were very happy with the Polynesian in December. We did have a little tree in our room that we wrapped our lei's on :)

Based on our experience in 2016, most resorts are not "heavily" decorated any more. You'll get a tree or two, some wreaths and garland around, that sort of thing. The Boardwalk area also has the gingerbread and candy stuff.

We've stayed at the Poly, GF and WL at Christmas time. The Poly doesn't have the holiday feel of the WL and GF which totally immerse you in Christmas. The Poly had a few decorations, and a tree, but definitely not a big holiday feel there at all. For us, we would pick the Poly over GF and WL except for at Christmas, but at Christmas, GF is or favorite. The band and piano alternating in the lobby playing in the evenings; the Gingerbread House and the photopass set up in front of the big Christmas tree have always tipped the scale for us. For us, we stayed at the Poly between Christmas season stays at WL and GF-- the Poly was fantastic enough that I missed the Christmas décor at WL a little, but the convenience of walking to the TTC to get the Express monorail to EPCOT, or MK more than made up for any twinge I had about the decorations. After staying at GF the next year though, we have returned to GF during the holiday season, but not the Poly. Transportation, other than to MK, is generally a pain at GF, but it the GF lobby is just fantastic at the holidays. That said- the Poly is always fantastic, so I doubt you would regret it if it is where you really want to stay-- the GF is just a short monorail ride away. Plus, if you have not stayed at GF during the holidays before you don't know what your are missing, AND if you aren't going to ever be at the resort in the evening to hear the band/piano or even be in the lobby much, then you won't be missing that much as you won't be taking in the atmosphere anyway.

I'm curious : anyone knows when are the MK Resorts usually all decorated for Christmas?

2 years ago we went right after Jersey week and Contemporary was decorated -- and the gingerbread house was almost complete at GF. Last year we went Thanksgiving Weekend and both Contemporary and GF were decorated. We didn't notice anything that stood out at the Poly, but weren't really paying much attention to the lobby area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter