Poly and Contemp way to 70's

Brando 90210

Earning My Ears
Do any of you agree with me that although the Poly and the Contemporary are fun resorts they are just a little bit to 1970's. The Grand Floridian makes these two resorts look like a joke. The only thing that the Poly is missing is patio latterns on the balcony's for that true retro look.These two resorts need to be updated fast!

Thank You !!!! Does any body else agree or diagree with me. I just cannot belive that they charge almost the same rates for these two resorts as the Grand Floridian. The Floridian is a 4 Diamond award winnner and the most beautiful resort in WDW and all of Orlando with the Beach Club,Boardwalk, and Wilderness Lodge being close seconds.

No way, the Contempo and Poly are perfect just as they are. They are not meant to look or be as nice and flashy as the GF! NO change needed at the CR or POLY.

I really felt like I was in a tropical paradise when we stayed at the Poly. We can't wait to go back in '04.

I have to agree with Plutopal!! I think that both the Poly and CR are wonderful just the way they are!! I've never stayed at GF and from what I've read, I'm not sure that I'd really want to. Yes, it's a beautiful resort but a bit too stuffy for me. I want my vacation to be fun and maybe a little quirky, I just wouldn't fit in!!

No, I love the Poly just the way it is. It is not meant to be like any other resort at WDW and it isn't. That is the magic of Disney, a resort for all tastes!

I also agree with PlutoPal. I stayed at both the CR and the Polynesian in 2002 and loved both stays. My DH and I liked the CR a bit more than the Polynesian, but both were first class. I have no interest whatsoever in staying at the GF. I have enough hoity-toity snooty hotels when I'm not staying at WDW. I find the GF ... well ... bland. Why have vanilla when you have have something interesting?

BTW, I was a teenager in the 70's so I don't have the same adversion to that decade as the OP does ;).

I like the Polynesian just the way it is and the Contemporary is a cool retro building IMO. To me the Grand Floridian is a rather poor version of the lovely resort it copies but to each their own.

Originally posted by Brando 90210
Thank You !!!! Does any body else agree or diagree with me. I just cannot belive that they charge almost the same rates for these two resorts as the Grand Floridian. The Floridian is a 4 Diamond award winnner and the most beautiful resort in WDW and all of Orlando with the Beach Club,Boardwalk, and Wilderness Lodge being close seconds.
It is true then that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find nothing fascinating about the Grand Floridian. The building are huge and stick out like a sore thumb and the interior decoration reminds me of a trip to Grandma's house. No thanks. I will take South Seas tropical over stuffy colonial any day.

I for one hope they never change the Poly! Its perfect just the way it is.

I dont really care for the GF. Sure, I wouldnt pass up a free stay there, but if I had that kind of money, I wouldnt be spending it to stay there. We walked around there once and while it was nice, I felt out of place. It seemed too uptight for me.

I don't see anything wrong with either resort. The Polynesian seems like a south seas paradise to me. The Contemporary doesn't seem dated to me. Have you seen the interiors of the rooms? They've been updated, as has everything else at the Contemporary. The only 70s remains I recall is the mosaic in the grand canyon concourse.

The reason the Poly and Contemp are different is because people like different themes. I don't care for the Grand Floridian but that does not mean its a dump or not a good resort or over priced, it just means I perfer a different theme. We love the Poly and can't see it changing..smjj

One of the wonderful things about having nearly 20 on property hotels...is that thar's sump'in for everyone...personally...I hope they never significantly change either the Poly or the CR....I like 'em both...as I do the GF....if every hotel were carbon copies...that would be a huge loss...

I agree with most posters...each resort has its own magic...leave them alone!:D We love both the Poly and GF. We've never stayed at the CR but my DH has expressed an interest in trying it for a couple of nights sometime.

I can not think of a more relaxing place to stay then the Poly. We walk in the doors and just sigh. I find it more relaxing then Hawaii!

Wouldn't change a thing about any of them. Contemporary isn't my cup of tea, I liked GF, had nice stays at BC, BWI, CBR, and POR, but Polynesian is our family's favorite resort.

I lived through the 70s as a teen/young adult--I'm not sure what you mean about these resorts having a 70s look? I'll grant that Contemporary is no longer "modern" in architecture and style as it would have been in the 70s, but--then again, GF isn't 21st century style either, is it? Thankfully, all of the resorts are 21st century where it counts--ammenities and service.

BTW, Brando--what exactly would you change and not lose the south seas feel of the resort? Just curious. . .

I would be very hard pressed to pay the same amount at the Poly as the Grand Floridian. Do not get me wrong here I like the Poly I just stayed there last September for 11 nights on one heck of a deal at $99 per night, just that it does not seem to be on the same level as the Floridian. A few things I would change about the Polynesian resort would be to revamp the quiet pool it looks very old, the elevators seem a little worn, and put new flooring in the GCH.Another good idea would be to build another quiet pool between Tokelau, Tahiti, and Rapa Nui.

I agree. I haven't stayed at the Poly, but I've spent some time there at the Kona Cafe (which I love by the way) and the Luau. I have stayed at the Contemporary and although I loved the experience I must agree that it's certainly a flashback to the 70's. I did like walking to MK and having monorail access. We had a nice room - somehow we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite. (that'll never happen again). I think the Poly and the Contemporary could use a facelift. I'm an Epcot Resort Fan myself - love the YC/BC. We did stay at the Grand once and it was beautiful. Don't like the pool though. Can't beat Stormalong Bay.

PamNC

They are both a bit dated seeming though i think the Contemprary is faring worse. The Polynesian's arcitecture has a bit dated feeling but I think they could fix that. The grounds are beautiful though and I really like it there.
I loved looking at Pictures of the Contemproary when it opened. I didn't get to WDW until 1996 and after seeing all the other resorts and finally going into the Contemporary it was so disappointing. While the main building is still interesting the garden wings are actually ugly in my opinion. The rounds are very steril and bland. They either need to do a makeover similar to Tomorrowland and make it retro-fantasy future or maybe just take it back to 1971 completely in style and decore.

One thing I really like about the Poly is the music, does anyone have a website with the background music they play at the Poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter