Poll: Refund or Credit?

Refund or Credit?

• Refund

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • Credit

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Why hasn’t my cruise been cancelled yet?!?!

Votes: 34 19.1%
  • Still hoping to sail!

Votes: 20 11.2%

• Total voters
I struggle with this. My cruise was canceled, April 18. Part of me wants to rebook, but it says no refund/non transferable. So if I book and things go bad, I’m SOL. Could buy insurance, but would it cover if pandemic still happening or reoccurrence. Im just not comfortable with the situation and probably won’t saI’ll again until a vaccine is released. So probably take the refund. I have September cruises booked that I will probably also cancel, but waiting until my PIF date in June

I have a June Alaska cruise booked. Annoyed that Disney hasn't cancelled it yet. (Like they have any other choice.)

Will take a refund.
WAY too much money to leave as a credit.
They will. They have a lot of cancellations. Heard the call line was over a 2 hour wait.

I struggle with this. My cruise was canceled, April 18. Part of me wants to rebook, but it says no refund/non transferable. So if I book and things go bad, I’m SOL. Could buy insurance, but would it cover if pandemic still happening or reoccurrence. Im just not comfortable with the situation and probably won’t saI’ll again until a vaccine is released. So probably take the refund. I have September cruises booked that I will probably also cancel, but waiting until my PIF date in June
Yours says no refund? Ours said we could refund for 100% (not the extra credit). Hmm. That's changed?

I was told that if I rebooked and then cancel later, I'd get a refund of what I paid a year and a half ago. So I decided to roll the dice (IMHO risk free) and see if our scientists can find a cure. If they don't, I'll almost surely cancel and take the refund at my PIF date just after the holidays.

I was told that if I rebooked and then cancel later, I'd get a refund of what I paid a year and a half ago. So I decided to roll the dice (IMHO risk free) and see if our scientists can find a cure. If they don't, I'll almost surely cancel and take the refund at my PIF date just after the holidays.
That's what I was told, too. We were the March 14. Maybe later cruises had different deals?

They will. They have a lot of cancellations. Heard the call line was over a 2 hour wait.

I know they will. They actually dint have a choice as Vancouver will be closed. I’m fine with the wait, but I need Disney to actually cancel. It’s not like the cruise can happen without a departure port.

Yours says no refund? Ours said we could refund for 100% (not the extra credit). Hmm. That's changed?

no I can get a full refund right now. But if I book with the discount for a future cruise, that one says the new cruise would be non refundable

no I can get a full refund right now. But if I book with the discount for a future cruise, that one says the new cruise would be non refundable
For my now cancelled April 24 cruise, I received an email from Costco that says I have the choice of a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit good for 15 months from the original cruise date. It doesn't say anything about whether the FCC would be refundable. So, I have a couple of questions:
1 - can I pick the 125% FCC and park it like a placeholder and pick my new cruise later? or do I need to pick the new cruise now?
2 - if I pick the 125% FCC and then decide not to use it, can I get a full refund of my original amount (assuming either I never picked a new cruise or I cancel before PIF for the new cruise)?

I realize I can call Costco/Disney and ask, but given the long wait times I thought someone here might already have the answer. TIA!

For my now cancelled April 24 cruise, I received an email from Costco that says I have the choice of a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit good for 15 months from the original cruise date. It doesn't say anything about whether the FCC would be refundable. So, I have a couple of questions:
1 - can I pick the 125% FCC and park it like a placeholder and pick my new cruise later? or do I need to pick the new cruise now?
2 - if I pick the 125% FCC and then decide not to use it, can I get a full refund of my original amount (assuming either I never picked a new cruise or I cancel before PIF for the new cruise)?

I realize I can call Costco/Disney and ask, but given the long wait times I thought someone here might already have the answer. TIA!
What I was told was that all funds were moved to future credits. I didn't have to give them my answer right away. But the "however" to that is that if I was going to be cruising within 15 months - and that really is more like 6-10 months, depending on when things might "get back to normal" - then I had to book. Even now, I see very few desirable rooms on the sailing I did book, because others that were on my cruise were looking exactly where I was ... one year later. It was spring break and we are assuming that will be all we can do, vacation time-wise, next year, too.

So, no, you don't have to book right away, but depending on the end date (15 months exactly to the day of your original start date), your choices will start to become limited as time goes on and more sailings are cancelled.

yes, you can park it, not use it, but later get a full refund if you don’t chose a cruise....that’s where we are.

In case you didn’t get the email. Note the non refundable in the last paragraph. So assuming you would need to buy insurance right away and hope it covers, esp if the pandemic isnt done with us yet. Life has a way of messing with our plans.....

Attachments

• EF459B1D-0C0E-4A7D-B8BC-1B77E614D010.jpeg
    EF459B1D-0C0E-4A7D-B8BC-1B77E614D010.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 38
In case you didn’t get the email. Note the non refundable in the last paragraph. So assuming you would need to buy insurance right away and hope it covers, esp if the pandemic isnt done with us yet. Life has a way of messing with our plans.....
Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that the only part that is non-refundable is the 25% extra in cruise credit. I've been told by multiple CM's that that the original amount of my original cruise that was cancelled would be refunded as long as I requested it before the new cruise's PIF date.

So as long as you request the refund before that you should still be able to get the original amount that you paid for the cancelled cruise back. You just won't get the extra 25% cruise credit that they offered.

Psy

I'm pretty sure that the only part that is non-refundable is the 25% extra in cruise credit. I've been told by multiple CM's that that the original amount of my original cruise that was cancelled would be refunded as long as I requested it before the new cruise's PIF date.

So as long as you request the refund before that you should still be able to get the original amount that you paid for the cancelled cruise back. You just won't get the extra 25% cruise credit that they offered.

Psy

Agreed. If you read two sentences down, it states that if you can't use the FCC, you will be refunded the original amount paid in full. I would hold on to the credit just in case something interesting does come along, assuming you don't need the money right now.

Agreed. If you read two sentences down, it states that if you can't use the FCC, you will be refunded the original amount paid in full. I would hold on to the credit just in case something interesting does come along, assuming you don't need the money right now.

Yep, and in addition to saying you can be refunded up to the amount you paid, it goes on to state that ordinary cancellation terms of the future cruise apply... which I read to mean that the refundable portion (i.e., up to amount paid, not including the extra 25%) will remain refundable up until PIF for the new cruise, and then will be prorated according to the usual schedule (i.e., deposit, then 75%, then 50% etc.).

I'll give you that this is poorly worded. But there is a well-known rule of contract interpretation that specific terms are given greater weight than general terms. So even though it may generally say "non-refundable" at the start - it specifically says refundable up to 100% of fare paid, and that creates an exception.

**am ethically obligated as a lawyer to include a disclaimer here that this is not legal advice and should not be relied on, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Maybe I’ll rethink my plan since it’s always good to have extra eyes review a document. I’ll check with my TA.

What can you use the credit on? With the expectation of receiving 125% credit, I'm considering upgrading my room now before our impending cancellation (HNL to YVR) to make that 25% bonus stretch further. I know port excursions, tips, etc can be used, but can you use it for ground transportation or even airfare? The airfare piques my interest but I think it's more than 25% more expensive than what I can buy outright with cash and that's not even considering I might use miles in the future too.

EDIT: Nevermind. It seems Disney is no longer allowing room upgrades on our cruise. I just tried now and I could pick another room in my same category but that was it.

Last edited:
Sigh I would love to take a refund at this point but DCL won't allow it. Had the Dream scheduled for 3/9 but had to cancel literally 48 hours before I got the flu (the version the flu shot did not cover). Others on the same cruise were already doing that due to Covid19. I know this was right before the government shut things down and DCL was nice to give us full credit applied to another cruise within the next 12 months. However, to book another cruise will still cost us additional money that I personally didn't want to spend (esp now with jobs on the line). There are also school schedules so our choices rebooking are very limited. So consider yourself lucky you have a choice and extra time. :-(

We took the refund. This whole thing will have to be a distant memory before I am able to convince DH to cruise again. He was a tough sell before all of this.

We're still scheduled for July 2020 and I *hope* that everything clears up by then. I understand that it may not but everything is entirely unpredictable right now. I'll say this much: If we are allowed to cruise then we will cruise. Otherwise, I think we'll take the credit. This cruise has been a dream for the last 15 years, and I'm committed to doing it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter