POLL: How many DIS are willing to pay to play Wizard101?

Will you pay to play Wizard 101?

• Yes, $9.95/month is reasonable

• No, $9.95/month is too much

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goofy05

GreenieMimi
That is the question I pose to you tonight. I, myself, feel that a monthly subscription of $9.95 is a bit high for a game that consists of nothing more than battling and/or questing. I would like to see more of a community aspect within the game itself, not outside, as it's been.
Your thoughts?
Thanks!

We are willing to pay because of the different levels of payment. It will be worth it for Bob and I.

I said yes, though I sincerely hope that they can have family accounts. Right now of course like many of you my son and I have different accounts so we can play at the same time. I don't mind the thought of paying that price for the two of us, just not twice! lol
kim

I know will not go for a subscription, but will probably play peeps up until I cant go further.

We are willing to pay because of the different levels of payment. It will be worth it for Bob and I.

I did not see the different levels of payments, are you talking about the "other options" in the future? (bolded below)

Hey folks, I wanted to drop a quick note about the pricing model before the game goes live. We’re going to be using a “hybrid model” for Wizard101, which means that the game will be available with limited content for Free (roughly half of Wizard City, and the PvP system which will be coming online shortly after launch.) Players can purchase unlimited access to all of Wizard101’s content in a couple of ways:

- Monthly Subscription. You can buy a recurring subscription for $9.95 per month that gives you full access to the game content, chat systems and other great benefits.
- Pre-paid subscription. You can buy a recurring subscription for 6 months or 12 months at a discounted price.

In addition, we are looking to bring other pricing options online shortly after launch:

- Time for Crowns. In addition, we’re going to allow you to buy pre-paid months using crowns. Initially crowns will be available online, and eventually (through some really cool programs that we haven’t talked about yet) we’ll provide other ways for players to get crowns, as well.
- Other pricing options that will be announced at a later date

We have a lot of exciting stuff coming down the pipe, but the first step is to get the game launched successfully … so to make that happen, we’re going to start with the traditional online game model of subscriptions and a cash shop. Stay tuned as we bring you more options post launch and, as always, enjoy the game!
Watson
Fred Howard

No subscription for me. I've enjoyed testing the beta, but if I get to the point with a free account where there's really nothing left to do, so be it.

Halfway through Wizard City is not very much content. But theoretically, even subscribers could run out of content, because that's the nature of this kind of game. While it is very well done, it is "consumable", and that has a limited appeal for me. Granted I am a hard customer; I would have even hesitated to pay for VMK if they had offered that option.

But I know Wizard 101 needs to make money, and I wish them the best of success.

The pricing options may be $9.95 per month, $49.95 per 6 months and $79.95 per year similiar to another game I used to play. They mention buying pre-paid months with crowns which will be available online or through "cool programs they haven't talked about yet". I might wait to see what these cool programs are before I do anything.

Also was wondering, as I stated in another post, I had an Upgrade Now button on my screen that others did not have. It took me to a page that said "this page is not ready for you yet". I was talking about the Upgrade button in the game when I got a message stating that I had been reported for using bad language. It was shortly after that that I got an in game message to quit the game and log back in to get rid of that Upgrade button.

I logged out and back in on one account but not the other. The one that still had the Upgrade Now button could not get into Cyclops Lane because it was for subscribing members only. I wonder if the game sent me the message to keep me quiet.

Now I am wondering what will happen after the game launches to my wizards that have gone past this point. Will I get a message that I will not be able to play until I pay since I have gotten past their free area?

I think the poll and responses were formed wrong.

Will I pay to play via what they have outlined?
Yes, I will. I will most definitely pay the $9.95 as listed.

But only until I finish one player, one time, through the game.
As I am already almost in krok and have been playing just one day, I do not feel this will be a long period of time for me to find and kill the bad guy IF they have the next world available.
It does not appear to be a continuing storyline. At some point you will catch the bad guy, and they are under the assumption you will wish to start over with a new person. I, however, am very happy to finish and be done with it.
Quest mmorpg's have very little appeal to me. For example, I reached the end of the Pirates Online storyline, in one month, got to level 40, and have never logged in again. I have no secondary player in that game. I know what happens, I know how to play, and I know how it ends. Therefore, I'm done.
That was the appeal of VMK, it was never ending...but I won't go into that.

Do I feel that amount they are asking per month to be egregious?
Yes, yes, yes.

If you look at the amount asked per month, compare to other mmorpg available now, they are asking at least $5.00 more per month. I had read somewhere, but I am not certain about this, that you can have more than one log in per email address (account). I know that I have two log-ins for my one email address now. If that is how it will be, then that is a bit more fair for families. However if you are a single player, then this amount is extremely high. Also, this is marketed toward tween players. I can't imagine any tween I know paying $10 per month for this game. I can't imagine my parents paying $10 per month if they had a tween player living at home.

:wizard:

No I will not get a paid account. I made that mistake with POTC and got a years subscription only to reach my maximum level after 3 months. So yeah they throw us a few new quests now and then, but basically I can log on once a month finish those and still am stuck at being a pirate master, sigh. I do enjoy this game, however that being said there are other games out there that have a larger variety of activities to do and they are FREE. Frankly the non stop grind is really not my cup of tea, but I did see they took some of my suggestions seriously and will add room building and alchemy later...

I said yes. My plan is to pre-purchase 6 month (for the discount) and see how far I go during that time, how much I still like playing, etc.

Looking back at my playing habits since VMK went away, this is the only game that I seem to log in to on a daily basis. While the social aspect is definitely lacking, I really enjoy the game itself.

While DH has enjoyed playing with me, he's already decided that he will not continue. DD never started playing, although I know she wants to. If there is some sort of family deal, we'd maybe set up a second account and have both of them on it.

The way I see it, I would have jumped at the chance to pay for play at VMK. Still would if it came back tomorrow. So, if I enjoy this game, why not help it continue? Hopefully, there will be more options as far as payng to play, free play, etc. as they get closer to launch.

I look at it this way: the basic principles of Wizard 101 and Toontown are the same. They are both turn-based combat games, with several minigames and quests.

Toontown has established itself as a very humorous, fun, and fairly sociable game and updates regularly.

Wizard 101 has not established itself as a fun and updating game, and the community aspect of it is slim to none.

I look at it this way:
~Toontown has better minigames.
~Speedchat and True Friends chat are both superior in Toontown.
~Toontown is more community-based.
~The "grind" in Toontown is not as bad as most other games because there are so many ways of achieving one goal.
~The quests are (for the most part) on the shorter side in Toontown, and that means that you don't have to spend a whole day doing one thing. (Think of it this way, there is no tomb of the Beguiler in Toontown :rotfl2: )
~There are no costly, game-breaking Cash Shop items in Toontown.
~The music is better in Wizard 101. It's certainly not as catchy or whimsical, but it's orchestrated pretty well.
~The graphics are better in Wizard 101.
~There are better clothes options in Wizard 101.
~All mah Dis peeps play Wiz 101 (For real for real) :rotfl2:

I think that Wizard 101 is only cosmetically superior to Toontown. They both cost the same, so I think I'd go for the better game. It's even more true because it rhymes!

Keep in mind that Toontown has had several years to develop. Wizards is just starting so it's difficult to determine what will happen. Based on the quality of the game during beta, the availability of staff to answer questions, I'm willing to give them a chance and will subscribe.

Heya! I wanted to thank everyone who's posted WHY they will or won't pay, it's very enlightening to those of us who have never paid for subscription type games. For those who do, I have a question. If you were to pay for the first month, but not the second or third, then decided to try it again later because of a new world or quest, would you then have to start a new character because you hadn't kept your original character active?
Thanks again!

Keep in mind that Toontown has had several years to develop. Wizards is just starting so it's difficult to determine what will happen. Based on the quality of the game during beta, the availability of staff to answer questions, I'm willing to give them a chance and will subscribe.

I'm sorry, I must not have made my post clear enough. The reason I would pay to play Toontown over Wizard 101 is because it's been open for years and also because it's difficult to determine the path Wizard 101 will go down.

Heya! I wanted to thank everyone who's posted WHY they will or won't pay, it's very enlightening to those of us who have never paid for subscription type games. For those who do, I have a question. If you were to pay for the first month, but not the second or third, then decided to try it again later because of a new world or quest, would you then have to start a new character because you hadn't kept your original character active?
Thanks again!

Can't say for sure with Wizards, but with POTC and Club penguin you keep your old character, you are simply limited to what you can accesss and do until you renew or upgrade to pay to play. :)

I'm sorry, I must not have made my post clear enough. The reason I would pay to play Toontown over Wizard 101 is because it's been open for years and also because it's difficult to determine the path Wizard 101 will go down.

The reason I would pay to play Wizard 101 over Toontown is because after all these years, TT still has so many issues. The customer services stinks whereas so far Wizard 101 has been great. I finally had to report TT to the Better Business Bureau after a year of trying to get an issue resolved. Funny how it was resolved the following week. I currently have two active TT accounts that I haven't used since the announcement that VMK was closing and I will be cancelling them when the year is up.

For those who do, I have a question. If you were to pay for the first month, but not the second or third, then decided to try it again later because of a new world or quest, would you then have to start a new character because you hadn't kept your original character active?
Thanks again!

Not sure what Wizard will do but in TT you can let your subscription expire and the toon information is left on their servers for if and when you want to return.

I put undecided, because although I probably won't pay for one for myself, I really do think that the amount is reasonable subscription compared to other on-line game subscriptions.

I think the $10 a month is high, but if the six or 12 months discounts are good enough, I may consider signing up for a six month membership.

The one that still had the Upgrade Now button could not get into Cyclops Lane because it was for subscribing members only.
Doesn't the content in Cyclops Lane, Triton Ave., Firecat Alley and Colossus Blvd. make up a lot more than half of Wizard City's game time? (The earlier quests fly by very quickly.) It sounds to me like the free account is more of a free week's trial, at the most. (For second-timers, I mean. I know it took a lot longer for me the first time around.)
Now I am wondering what will happen after the game launches to my wizards that have gone past this point. Will I get a message that I will not be able to play until I pay since I have gotten past their free area?
I am wondering that too.

As of this morning they are offering a $60 subscription for a year. This offer is good until Monday the 8th. I wish I had copied the direct post, it was on the wizard forums this morning. The forums are down now.

We will be buying two. One for my husband and one for me. My son's account will go under my husband (hopefully they will transfer the character, otherwise I will to start him over).

It did give me pause when I read it. When my husband read it he immediatly went looking for a place to pay.

He and I have had so much fun over the past few months playing this game. There is not as much content as toontown, but I can't get him on that and I also will let our subcription run out on that do to VMK closing.

I like that anytime I have written directly to them (wizards) I get a real human response quickly.

As far as reaching the end of the game quickly, since the wipe we have really been savoring the game. We have been beating the bosses over and over to get the good loot, actually reading what the NPC's say when you are sent on a new task etc. just enjoying rather than getting to the end ASAP.

Even if it was $10 a month with no discount it is still less than the cost of us both going to a movie... so I would rather budget my entertainment in this way...

That sounds reasonable to me, I believe I will probably get myself a year subscription. Candlz prior they had been implying you would get 2 accounts for your subscription did you see language that disputed that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter