Island Garden view or Oceanview?

• Island Garden

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Oceanview

Votes: 31 64.6%

• Total voters

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
Getting ready to book our trip and so torn on booking an island view or to splurge and book an Oceanview. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we’ll be celebrating my 40th birthday. Of course I want to book the Oceanview but am cringing at the price...we’re staying 9 nights and I have a lot of things on our to do list that will cost. Plus we’re coming from the east coast so our flight is expensive.

I will say I am a huge “view” person...every resort we’ve ever booked at Disney World I’ve booked the best view/room category...same on our Disney cruises. I’ve always booked extended verandas. I LOVE sitting out on our balcony during trips and having coffee or a glass of wine. I look forward to it a lot and its so relaxing to me. So that’s making me wonder if an Oceanview is worth it?

Any feedback on these two room categories would be appreciated:)

One time trip? Ocean view in Ewe building. 9th floor or above. Rooms in the 50 series. You get the biggest balcony and best views. Nothing better.
Thank you for the room recommendation!:) Yes planning on just doing this one time...aaahh so torn but might just go for an Oceanview.

We have stayed in a standard, island, and oceanview room. The standard view room looked out over the conference center and we managed to catch a couple wedding receptions as a result. The island view rooms had decent views. The mountains off in the distance are not unpleasant to look at.

Our best view by far was from the grand villa. It was the highest grand villa in the side above Aunty's Beach House.

A panoramic taken from the middle of the 40+ foot wide balcony:
IMG_2664.png

We had an Island Gardens view room for a couple of days at the end our stay that was quite pleasant and allowed us to see some activities going on below. We also had an ocean view at the start, which was a beautiful, amazing experience and I can still close my eyes and see it now! I don't know who you're travelling with and if it's practical, but if if the cost of staying in ocean view for the whole time is going to impact what you can do the rest of the time could you do the first 6 days in the Garden Island view then the last 3 days in the Ocean view?

I would also recommend asking for a high floor in Ewa tower, and renting DVC points (if you aren't already).

One time trip? Ocean view in Ewe building. 9th floor or above. Rooms in the 50 series. You get the biggest balcony and best views. Nothing better.
Ocean view. EWA tower, higher floor is what we like. You are going all the way for a once in a lifetime trip, do splurge and get the ocean view. It is worth the extra points/cash at least for us.

Can confirm. Ewa Building, Deluxe Studio, Room 1254. We enjoyed views like this every day.

kXylFR8.jpg

58Qcd62.jpg

TtrmLmJ.jpg

7bzAmNA.jpg

Thank you everyone for the replies and feedback! And the amazing pictures!!

Ugh I’m still so torn...I REALLY want an Oceanview but I’m just so worried about over extending ourselves money wise. Especially since we want to do so many activities which will cost a lot while we’re there. I also want to reserve a cabana and executive lanai (hopefully) for a couple days while we’re there.

If we go with the island garden view is this a huge dealbreaker? Hopefully I’ll still enjoy sitting out on our balcony?

I just cannot wait for this trip. I literally got choked up looking at pictures of Aulani and Hawai’i this morning. This will be such a dream come true for me and my family!!

We just went in December and moved around the island but stayed at Aulani for 4 nights on DVC rental points and Military discount. It was an AMAZING trip even with Covid. We stayed over 2 weeks total and my son did school virtually and my husband and I worked virtually. I was even able to upgrade our AA flight to Business class with lie flat seats. I could go on and on about how this trip was the best we've ever had.
However, we always do a "Roses and Thorns" recap to see what everyone liked the best and what we could have improved on. Out of EVERYTHING we did, activities around the island, meals, hiking, snorkeling, exploring Aulani etc, etc. the ONE thing that my family agreed on, was the view at Aulani from our Island View sucked. We really enjoy sitting out at night and in the mornings having a view. We also found, with Covid and limited seating for dining that we took more meals on our balcony. We have teenagers so it just gave a bit of extra room having a balcony for us all to have our space but the view of a parking garage with a bit of Island was awful......So, YMMV but I would say skip the cabana and executive lanai and splurge on the Ocean View!

We just went in December and moved around the island but stayed at Aulani for 4 nights on DVC rental points and Military discount. It was an AMAZING trip even with Covid. We stayed over 2 weeks total and my son did school virtually and my husband and I worked virtually. I was even able to upgrade our AA flight to Business class with lie flat seats. I could go on and on about how this trip was the best we've ever had.
However, we always do a "Roses and Thorns" recap to see what everyone liked the best and what we could have improved on. Out of EVERYTHING we did, activities around the island, meals, hiking, snorkeling, exploring Aulani etc, etc. the ONE thing that my family agreed on, was the view at Aulani from our Island View sucked. We really enjoy sitting out at night and in the mornings having a view. We also found, with Covid and limited seating for dining that we took more meals on our balcony. We have teenagers so it just gave a bit of extra room having a balcony for us all to have our space but the view of a parking garage with a bit of Island was awful......So, YMMV but I would say skip the cabana and executive lanai and splurge on the Ocean View!
Thank you! This is honestly the kind of feedback I need and maybe the extra push I’ll need to just go for it and book an Oceanview!!

For a once in a lifetime trip, I would recommend getting a 1 bedroom oceanview room.

If that's not in the budget, I would compare the price of a lower view 1 bedroom. Having a living room and kitchen at Aulani is huge, since food options are limited and expensive.

Best of both worlds? Last time we went, we got an island view that looked out over the open spot next door to the ocean. Most would call it a "partial ocean view" but it was as nice as the ones looking out over the pools for us.

Thank you everyone for the replies and feedback! And the amazing pictures!!

Ugh I’m still so torn...I REALLY want an Oceanview but I’m just so worried about over extending ourselves money wise. Especially since we want to do so many activities which will cost a lot while we’re there. I also want to reserve a cabana and executive lanai (hopefully) for a couple days while we’re there.

If we go with the island garden view is this a huge dealbreaker? Hopefully I’ll still enjoy sitting out on our balcony?

I just cannot wait for this trip. I literally got choked up looking at pictures of Aulani and Hawai’i this morning. This will be such a dream come true for me and my family!!

Dealbreaker? Not at all! How much time are you really going to be spending in your room when you have Aulani’s amenities and all of Oahu outside?

I’ve stayed in an Island Garden View hotel room. Waianae Tower, Room 1123. I actually really enjoyed the sunrises over the golf course and mountains. We did see one of the parking garages in the foreground, but there was still a bit of an ocean view to the west.

P.S. It was also a lot quieter than our rooms facing the pools since the laughter and screaming tends to carry up and, in normal times, you’d hear singing from Makahiki in the mornings and music from the Olelo Room at night.

Vco1EuE.jpg

Rvlz1wQ.jpg

Last edited:

Of course everyone is different, but if it was a choice between the two I would skip the cabana. If you just want a shady spot to read and relax there are seats around the pool and on the beach. We've rented one at a waterpark before as I wanted a base and somewhere to leave belongings, but this isn't really necessary when you have a room.

I've attached a couple of pictures from our ocean view studio in case you wanted a bit of encouragement, but none of this is a dealbreaker! You don't go to Hawaii for a room. You will have an amazing time whichever you pick.

aulani3.jpgIMG_4528.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
Of course everyone is different, but if it was a choice between the two I would skip the cabana. If you just want a shady spot to read and relax there are seats around the pool and on the beach. We've rented one at a waterpark before as I wanted a base and somewhere to leave belongings, but this isn't really necessary when you have a room.

I've attached a couple of pictures from our ocean view studio in case you wanted a bit of encouragement, but none of this is a dealbreaker! You don't go to Hawaii for a room. You will have an amazing time whichever you pick.

View attachment 561550View attachment 561551

Agreed.

I’d also skip the cabana. I’ve never thought the cabanas looked appealing; they’re dark and tucked in odd corners of the various pools without any premium views. If you’re spending the day at the pools, just send someone to claim some lounge chairs in a shady spot a little before 8 a.m. I’d also never spend money on the casabellas or executive lanai either since down at the beach there are plenty of available lounge chairs with umbrellas and space to spread. The executive lanai isn’t particularly private since it’s right next to a gate and heavily trafficked walkway between the beach and pools.

For an idea, here are some pics.

Last edited:
A different perspective: One time I was given a free upgrade to a partial oceanview in a hotel in Honolulu. I was so excited and thought I would spend all my evenings watching the sunset on the patio while drinking a glass of wine. Turns out I didn't do that once because we were always at dinner during sunset. During the day we were always out doing something, and at night when we actually spent time in the room it was too dark to see anything. So for me I would not spend the extra money on oceanview, and instead use that money on activities.

Dealbreaker? Not at all! How much time are you really going to be spending in your room when you have Aulani’s amenities and all of Oahu outside?

I’ve stayed in an Island Garden View hotel room. Waianae Tower, Room 1123. I actually really enjoyed the sunrises over the golf course and mountains. We did see one of the parking garages in the foreground, but there was still a bit of an ocean view to the west.

P.S. It was also a lot quieter than our rooms facing the pools since the laughter and screaming tends to carry up and, in normal times, you’d hear singing from Makahiki in the mornings and music from the Olelo Room at night.

Vco1EuE.jpg

Rvlz1wQ.jpg

This is a gorgeous view!! This is a regular island garden view with two queens right? Not a studio or DVC?

Thank you for sharing the pics and room number!:)

My two cents. Save the money. Most time is not spent in your room (hopefully) in Hawaii. You can also get a few island garden views that can see the water. If you are in your room for the views you are missing out on a lot outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter