Poll: Have you changed your plans?

Have your travel plans changed because of the Antigen test option?

• No, changes have no impact on our travel plans

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • We are now travelling because of the Antigen test option

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • We are now travelling because our children under 12 can return to school/activities right away

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • We are now NOT travelling because a negative test is still required

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • We are NOT going because of BOTH no mask mandates and negative test requirement

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted no change as I have travelled 4 times during the pandemic, but this makes international (including the Caribbean/Mexico) travel much more appealing/affordable. Being able to pack a $40 antigen test vs a $150 pcr through switch health adds up for a family of five.

I can't seem to find this anywhere, but did they lift the restriction on short cross border trips < 72 hours so that we only have to provide vax proof each way? I'd love to make a quick x-border shopping trip if that's back in place!

I can't seem to find this anywhere, but did they lift the restriction on short cross border trips < 72 hours so that we only have to provide vax proof each way? I'd love to make a quick x-border shopping trip if that's back in place!
No, not yet :(

We were leaving our spring break plans until this announcement came out but we have ultimately decided to just do a staycation in downtown Vancouver for a couple of nights at a Fairmont using a BC residents rate. We have a Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska booked for the end of July which looks to definitely be sailing so we will save our $$ as the excursions are quite pricey. If they bring back the 72hr exemption to testing by spring break then we will pop over the border for a night or two as well to do some shopping and such down in Seattle. But otherwise we'll be staying in BC. And I need to renew my 13 year olds passport as it expires in May and since the offices are still not open (unless your travel is within 25 business days) my plan is to get it sent off in the mail before the end of March.
Can’t wait to be able to go down to Bellingham! A couple of nights at The Harrison Hot Springs hotel would be fun too! I love it there.

Technically, we’re not changing plans since a negative test is still required.
I chose not going because still need testing On the poll, but our plans haven’t changed. We still cancelled o March Break trip because of the risk we test positive and be fined.

No change here yet. We don't travel till end of March and return early April so kinda hoping testing will be gone by then 🤞🏻

As for the fine if returning positive, my DH read somewhere that because they lowered the travel advisory its more likely they will not be fining people. We live fairly close to a border and have a solid quarantine plan, so hopefully they will let us through.

We can always look into buying covid insurance also from Manulife.

Worse case we'll postpone our trip till the early fall. 🤷‍♀️
I'm also going at the end of March and I return home on April 1st. My fingers are crossed that we won't have to test to come home but I'm going even if I have to swim across Lake Ontario to get out of this country. 😁. Happy travels everyone.

{{sigh}} The changes have made no appreciable difference for us and I'm brutally disappointed with them. I suppose the lower price of RATs is an improvement but that was never the biggest issue for us (family of 2). Our issue would be having to quarantine outside of Canada with a positive result and that hasn't changed. :(

I've purchased quarantine insurance from Manulife and I'm off to Cuba on Tuesday. We've got cruises booked for April and May; both sailing out of Los Angeles. Hopefully, we will be done with the re-entry testing by then.

{{sigh}} The changes have made no appreciable difference for us and I'm brutally disappointed with them. I suppose the lower price of RATs is an improvement but that was never the biggest issue for us (family of 2). Our issue would be having to quarantine outside of Canada with a positive result and that hasn't changed. :(
We are the same. I get the feeling however that testing requirements will be changing in the next 4 or 5 weeks. I'm thinking mid-end March.

We are driving in two week from Windsor area. Family of 5 and daughter just tested positive twice with at home rapid test (pretty much symptom free). If this goes through the house, which I assume it will, I'm wondering if it's worth the $750 to just go get PCR tested now. It sucks that we can't use the cheaper RATs for the 10-180 day 'no testing' clause.

I just don't know if we would simply drive across the border anyways if someone is positive and assume we wouldn't get fined. We will be returning to Canada in exactly 4 weeks and I don't think they will get rid of the 5K threat; without it there is no reason to have any restrictions because no one would follow the guidelines.

We are driving in two week from Windsor area. Family of 5 and daughter just tested positive twice with at home rapid test (pretty much symptom free). If this goes through the house, which I assume it will, I'm wondering if it's worth the $750 to just go get PCR tested now. It sucks that we can't use the cheaper RATs for the 10-180 day 'no testing' clause..

Since you are driving, could you possibly maybe stop at a Walgreens or CVS on your way down to Florida and get everyone PCR tested? That way if you all test positive you will already be in the states X number of days, stay for the 10 days then you won't have to test again to come back home.

I think because you live so close to the border, if you have a solid quarantine plan and follow all the rules, you have a strong case to be allowed to go home.

If the numbers keep going down I can see them easing up on the restrictions sooner than later. So many families go away for March Break, it would make sense IMO for them to lift the testing restrictions by then.

Since you are driving, could you possibly maybe stop at a Walgreens or CVS on your way down to Florida and get everyone PCR tested? That way if you all test positive you will already be in the states X number of days, stay for the 10 days then you won't have to test again to come back home.

I think because you live so close to the border, if you have a solid quarantine plan and follow all the rules, you have a strong case to be allowed to go home.

If the numbers keep going down I can see them easing up on the restrictions sooner than later. So many families go away for March Break, it would make sense IMO for them to lift the testing restrictions by then.
Wouldn’t you have to isolate for 5 days out of your vacation if the tests come back positive? Not sure it’s worth it.

If we all test positive this week then i dont think We would have to isolate again; the PCR would be picking up the remnants of the virus and we would be well past the contagious period. That's one reason canada has the 10-180 day factor: you can keep testing positive.
But I'm not a doctor nor do I know the exact wording of the American guidance off hand.

If we all test positive this week then i dont think We would have to isolate again; the PCR would be picking up the remnants of the virus and we would be well past the contagious period. That's one reason canada has the 10-180 day factor: you can keep testing positive.
But I'm not a doctor nor do I know the exact wording of the American guidance off hand.
Every state is différent for quarantine So in my opinion it is better tu have you all tested by PCR now, than you can cross thé border in both ways. You will have to check if you need a test and a noté from a doctor saying you are not contagious anymore.

That's another question I have; if driving back into Canada with proof of testing positive 10-180 days, do I need a doctor's note too? I haven't ran across that last part on the govt sites.

That's another question I have; if driving back into Canada with proof of testing positive 10-180 days, do I need a doctor's note too? I haven't ran across that last part on the govt sites.
No, you just need the health professional’s note to go TO the US for proof of recovery.

We changed our previous plans (Costa Rica) to Disney so that we could avoid flights and possible quarantine. Luckily we are in driving distance.

If this goes through the house, which I assume it will, I'm wondering if it's worth the $750 to just go get PCR tested now. It sucks that we can't use the cheaper RATs for the 10-180 day 'no testing' clause.

Maybe they will open up the PCR tests again soon for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter