Poll: For those of you who have owned DVC greater than 5 years, do you plan to stay long term or sell?

For those of you who have owned DVC greater than 5 years, do you plan to stay long term or sell?

• Keep long term (barring unexpected circumstances)

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • I have plans to sell

Votes: 32 14.3%

• Total voters
We bought in 1996. Since them we have readjusted our points and resorts. We still enjoy DVC very much, However, how we go has changed. We used to go to HHI and now we only go to Florida; we used to stay in one or two bedrooms and now we stay mostly in studios: we used to fly and since Covid have driven only; we used to go during summer and spring breaks and now we go before Thanksgiving and one other time that changes. DVCs flexibility allowed us to adapt to our changing needs. We've liked some of Disneys changes and not like others. But that is all okay because overall we still want to go.

We will be long haulers. Members since 2016. We bought DVC after our kids were older and out of the house. "Addonitis" struck a year later. We are not happy with the recent changes at Disney (too many to mention and they've been rehashed so many times over). We're hoping for Disney to return to pre-covid ways. In the meantime, we will use our DVC for the room, but visit competitors parks. Selling now would also bring us a nice return, but if we chose to buy again later, DVC may be too costly. In other words, it's cheaper to keep her. Besides, CEO's/Board presidents come and go and this current state shall pass too.

I forgot to mention the direction the company is taking. Bad taste in my mouth on top of how they are handling the parks

Because of our age, I imagine we will sell some. However there are family members to whom we will be gifting some points to. I didn’t vote.

We were in WDW April 3-10 and had a wonderful time even though the weather wasn’t warm enough for us to swim, and staying at BCV, it was what I expected to do. We enjoyed the Flower and Garden displays, and the musical entertainment. We renewed our AP’s but did downsize to Sorcerer Pass. We will buy single day tix so we can enter MK on December 30. It’s a tradition for us to see the Christmas parade in daylight that day.

We have owned since 2003, and our first stay was at VWL during December that year, and that’s a tradition for us. We often write our Christmas cards while there.

Last edited:

Because of our age, I imagine we will sell some.
We just had that discussion this year. Returning from our most recent trip, we had decided to sell one of the 2 contracts and keep the other one.
Was very happy with how quickly our AKL contract sold. Plan to keep the BWV contract for at least another 10 years, then decide.

We have no intention of fully selling, but maybe after the kids leave the house I could see us going down from our current 700 points.
But if the kids still enjoy Disney as they get older I’m sure we will keep our points and continue to take big family trips with them and their families as they get older. There is a world where I could actually see us continuing to add points for GV trips as the kids get older too.

Bought in 2011. we don't like change, buying/selling, all of that, so we likely wont' sell. But who knows . Kids are grown, dues are kinda high, and with no APs being sold, we'll be curtailing our Disney travel if that doesn't change. But we'd still try renting out points first. And we hope to take some couple trips for festivals. Tempted to sell for sure though, as we could potentially get almost double what we paid in 2011. we bought during the recession, and never, ever expected prices to go up like they did.

Last edited:

I did not vote because we have sold just over half our DVC points. After a trip to Orlando in May, we are letting our AP’s expire. We don’t plan to return to Orlando until summer 2023 and may not go back to a Disney park for a few years or more. It has become a chore. I think I will just remember the old park days fondly and the memories when it was more carefree than now.

Last edited:
Planned to keep forever but its looking iffy. May sell some locations. Will def keep Aulani. But I'm willing to give in a couple years for the ship to right. We'll see what is truly "Covid related".

We bought in 2011 and 2013. We always say we are going to sell when they hike up ticket price but then.... we go back to disney, our grade school children talk about disney all the time, and so we will keep for another 5 years or more....

Planned to keep forever but its looking iffy. May sell some locations.
Thats what happened to us. We had 2 contracts and went twice a year. Before our last trip, we had talked about selling one and just going once a year. After our trip, it was fun, but not as enjoyable as other trips, we decided to sell 1 contract. Still plan to hold the other for many more years.

10 1/2 year veterans and plan to use until our use years expire In the early 2060’s. Adding points now so we can accommodate our kids and possibly families as adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter