POLL: Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian?

Which do you prefer??

• Disneyland Hotel

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Grand Californian

Votes: 67 64.4%

• Total voters

MickeyMinnieMom

If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
I know these things are subjective, but wonder what the DIS DL experts would say here!

It’s a 3 night trip, just my daughter (12yrs) and I, end of June (catching the tail end of the SWGE reservations).

We’re big WDW people; my daughter has only been to DL once.

Which would you prefer?

I'll start off by saying that I love both resorts for different reasons. DLH has that historical Disney charm, and GCH is drop dead gorgeous with an amazing location -- although DLH location is also good being right next to DtD.

For a first visit I say go for GCH. It's an amazing feeling being in DCA and just walking directly back into your hotel. I also just love GCH's theme in general. The lobby is gorgeous and there is just a luxurious feeling to it. I also love that almost all GCH rooms (I believe there are still a handful without) have balconies. We have frequently gotten a room with a view of the monorail. It made for fun breaks on the balcony, enjoying a snack and watching the monorail whizz by.

As I said, DLH has a great historical Disney charm. I love the roaming characters in the lobby, Trader Sams, and Steakhouse 55 lounge. However, our room was a bit worn when we stayed there. It was sparkling clean, but you could tell the rooms are getting a bit aged.

Until last year I had only stayed at the GCH but tried DLH in October for my birthday. Both are very different and only ever was 2 adults so I can't speak to any activities like the pool and water slides for kids. I will start off by saying I enjoyed the DLH, the atmosphere was charming, the grounds were lovely, the staff was magical. I had always heard the rooms the DLH were larger than GCH, but for us that ended up not being the case; in fact I think our room was smaller than any of the rooms I've had at the GCH. It was at the end of the hall, and felt like it was left over space they weren't sure what to do with so I felt more cramped there than I ever have at the Grand. If money isn't an issue I would pick the Grand I think every time. The distance can't be beat, the balcony, the decor... it is just more my style. I love being steps away from DCA, and DTD in the areas I frequent the most. We will be stating at the GCH in August when we go and while I will still make the treck down to DLH for Trader Sams I don't know if it would be enough for me to stay there again as my first choice. I also like White Water Snacks better for the quick service at the hotel along with the dining options.

GCH. At 12, I think your daughter would get more out of it. The location, the setup, and the more mature feel to it will probably appeal to her; it sure did with my girls at that age. DLH is great for younger kids and adults but doesn't offer as much for a tween IMO. One of the drawbacks to DLH is the lack of a nice lobby to hang out in and explore. GCH's lobby has a huge fireplace, lots of seating in the beautiful common space, lounge, gift shop and terrace all right there. DLH's amenities are sort of spread out in different locations around the resort.

I didn't vote as I haven't stayed at both yet. I have stayed at GCH twice in the last 4 years and we will be staying at DLH in September so I can't compare until then. But we loved GCH, its such a beautiful hotel. The pool was okay, my girls were a bit underwhelmed as it felt small. But our rooms were lovely and even though we had "standard" view rooms, our view was great. We enjoyed wandering the lobby and admiring the details.

I'm looking forward to staying at DLH for the historicity and nostalgia. My girls are excited about the monorail pool and the fireworks in the headboards. I have heard the rooms at DLH are showing their age whereas GCH just renovated their rooms last year. But still, seeing hidden Mickey's in faucet handles and carpet swirls will make up for that!

DLH is great, but it is better for people that really love old disney. The last time I was there the GM did tell me that a lot of the rooms were getting touched up. So I dont know how long that normally takes. For historic sakes its a great place to wander about. But i guess it depends on how much your child actually cares about that kind of thing.

GCH for me is always the best, its more expensive yes. But you really do get a lot for your money. The room sizes are good, the theme through out the hotel is great. And just like others said, you really can't beat that lobby. When they light the fireplaces. They have TV's playing disney cartoons. Holiday times is always the best because of all the things they serve in the lobby. Plus the entrance to DCA is a very nice thing to have.

I wont comment on staff because i have never stayed on Disney property where the staff has been anything but amazing.

As WDW people, we prefer DLH. To us, GCH, while beautiful, is just a scaled down version of WL. It is like spending a higher price than you do for WL at WDW, but getting the condensed version. If we were not WDW people, our opinion might be completely different. That said, that higher price does have the benefit of an entrance directly into the park (CA). DLH is completely different than anywhere we have stayed at WDW, which is why we prefer staying there. You really can't go wrong with either resort. They are both great!

Realistically ask yourself how long you’ll be in the hotel... I haven’t stayed in the GCH but I have been in there to get to breakfast and see the lobby. It’s beautiful, rustic (in that wonderful fake but really well done way), and good location. With that said, I’m not sure it’s worth the extra price, AND, I really love the classic feel of DLH. I’ve stayed there a couple times around Halloween and have just loved the feel. The staff are amazingly nice, the hotel and towers just look iconically Disneyland. The lobby has some fantastic old pictures of the hotel, Walt, and famous guests. While I’ve never used the pool (no time) they look great. It’s a little further away but only maybe 5 extra minutes to walk to, totally safe, totally Disney controlled areas, and it forces you to walk all the way along downtown Disney, which is nice to see. Only you can judge what your daughter would care about vs not, but if you guys are one of those hardcore families that will be in the park all day until bed time, chances are you’re not going to be spending any meaningful time in the hotel. DLH is still on property, the rooms might feel a little old, but have always been clean and given me a good nights rest, and it’s a bit cheaper.

(Also, there is music playing in the lobby areas of DLH, right? Is that also in the GCH, I can’t recall if it is or not...)

(Also, there is music playing in the lobby areas of DLH, right? Is that also in the GCH, I can’t recall if it is or not...)

In the GCH they often have a live piano player playing Disney songs. The ones I've heard sound like a semi-classical interpretation of the songs. Its really pleasant to hear the music reverberating through the huge interior lobby (5 stories). Although it does not impact the sound in the rooms at all.

I have stayed in all 3 hotels - #1 Disneyland Hotel (40, maybe 50 plus times), #2 GCH (3 times), #3 Paradise Pier (6 times, 3 of those booked by family and not by my choice). While we have stayed at GCH a few times and agree with others that it is beautiful, my family absolutely LOVES the Disneyland Hotel. For the same or slightly more than the price of a standard room at GCH, we get a concierge room at DLH. The concierge service is incredible and the staff that works in the lounge goes out of their way to make sure you are taken care of. We like to go to the lounge to watch the fireworks while having dessert on the day we arrive. It's a great way to start our vacation before we are able to actually head into the parks the next day. Our daughter is 11 (almost 12) and she loves DLH, as well. She still enjoys the waterslides at the pool (heck, I even enjoy them), the roaming characters in the lobby, and the headboards in the rooms. I especially love the nostalgic lobby, but I also love mid-century modern decor and have been staying at DLH since I was a toddler.

The first time we stayed at GCH, we had a horrible experience. Check-in took over an hour, we were put in a room that felt like it was the equivalent to walking from Paradise Pier to get to the parks, and the service was slow and lacked that Disney spark. We booked a cabana by the pool and the cabana attendant showed us to our cabana and then did not reappear again until lunchtime. It was incredibly frustrating and disappointing. We decided to write it off as fluke, but GCH never really rose above an average hotel experience the next two times we went.

That being said, the GCH lobby is beautiful and we will often sit in the lobby to listen to the piano player while our daughter has a snack from the quick service place near the pool. It's a nice place to take a break from the parks for an hour. And if it's Christmas time, you're in for a real treat. The lobby is even more beautiful! Christmas time at DLH is also fun. They have a HUGE gingerbread house in the lobby and Santa visits at least once a day. As a matter of fact, it's our favorite place to visit Santa because it seems that no one knows he is there. Last year, our daughter hung out with him for a good 15 minutes before another family showed up. The same with the roaming characters - a lot of people will just walk right past them and not interact with them. Our daughter once spent almost a half hour with Goofy pranking people in the lobby. It's an odd difference from the park where people immediately start forming a line to get an autograph with them.

The bottom line is - both GCH and DLH are clean and comfortable hotels to stay in. It really depends on how much time you plan to spend in the hotel and your personal preferences when it comes to style, distance from the parks, and what you consider essential in a hotel stay.

I voted DLH but honestly it's so hard to pick. Being WDW people i think DLH would be better for you. DLH feels like an extension of Disneyland with lots of memorabilia and history through out the whole hotel. I also agree with the sentiment that it makes you walk through Downtown Disney to get the parks so you don't have to devote extra time for it. DLH has the better pool in my opinion which will be good since you're going in summer, plus theres Trader Sams and Tangaroa Terrace that just got refurbed. I just got back from GC last month and there's still construction on the pool bar that kind of kills the mood of the pool a little bit.

I like GC because of the proximity to the park: being able to bounce in and out of DCA is great. To me, GC is more relaxing and it's easy for me to go back and let my kids rest/nap. I'm thinking that won't really matter for a 12 year old, especially if you're rope drop to fireworks people. While DLH is farther than GC it is by no means a long walk, and you also have the monorail that drops you right off in front of it.

I love both hotels and i think you can't go wrong either way. Enjoy your trip!

Stayed for the first time at GCH earlier this year following a few years being at DLH. It was great, but really still a bit of a toss up between the two, so I can’t really justify spending that much extra. I’ll definitely be eating dinner one night at Napa Rose no matter where we stay.

Disneyland hotel has brighter and larger rooms and its quite a bit cheaper. They also have better pools and Trader Sams. To me its a much more special place to stay. I love walking around the lobby and looking at the old pictures from the 1960s, 70 and 80s. That kind of stuff matters to me and you can't get that at the Grand.

We have only stayed at DLH and love it. It is the most Disney hotel there for us. We do love walking through GCH and just admiring the hotel feel. Our whole family has agreed that DLH is our go to. GCH is beautiful but doesn't make me feel i am at Disney. We love the pool at DLH and the restaurants and shops. For us GCH is more like a really nice and pricey winter lodge. We definitely want to stay at GCH at least once. The proximity to the parks is a great plus, but haven't found a price that makes it worth it for us. Also I do find that DLH has less people wandering in the hotel. We sometimes sit in one of the lobby or grab a snack and eat and/or rest outside one of the towers. It is always really quiet for us especially when we are over at frontier tower. GCH always seems way busier with people in the lobby.

DD is 11 and if given a choice she will always choose DLH. We spend quite some time at the hotel since we go for EMH and ar back by 2 pm. We either shop at DLH shops, or rest in the room, or use the pool or sit by the grass and see all the characters from Goofys come in n out. We walk the lobby and take pictures.

Good Luck choosing. You really can't go wrong.

In the GCH they often have a live piano player playing Disney songs. The ones I've heard sound like a semi-classical interpretation of the songs. Its really pleasant to hear the music reverberating through the huge interior lobby (5 stories). Although it does not impact the sound in the rooms at all.

I just feel like late at night when I’ve been waking through the lobby or looking for a vending machine or something I’ve heard Disney style classic music playing... which is just enjoyable. I’m not sure if all the hotels have that or not. It kinda blends into the background until there isn’t anything making noise and then you notice it...

Hi @MickeyMinnieMom :wave2:

I’m not really qualified to answer your question, I haven’t stayed a GCH and have only stayed one night at DLH.

When I sized things up from afar before going... while GCH appealed to me more as a resort, it seemed too much like WL so I opted for DLH. To me, DLH is sort of a retro mix of some elements of CR and some elements of Poly, plus a lot of Disney nostalgia. I’m not really into Disney history and such, but the artwork in the room (there was a black and white picture in my room of Walt walking through the castle by himself having a look around) and other classic Disney elements around the resort where rather moving. I know that sounds crazy and probably corny, it’s hard to explain.

I walked through GCH when there and had dinner at the bar at Napa Rose (best Disney meal I’ve ever had, BTW) and it confirmed to me that I had made the right choice with DLH. Too similar to what we can readily enjoy back East. As a WDW-vet with no/minimal experience with DL, DLH provided that ‘something familiar yet different’ feeling that I appreciated.

We’ll eventually make our way to DL for a legit stay sometime, and will more than likely pick DLH again.

Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter