Poll: Decorate for Christmas

When do you start decorating for Christmas?

• Early November

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Middle November

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • After Thaksgiving

Votes: 97 56.7%
  • Early December

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • None of your business

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Middle December

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Right before Christmas

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
I voted "After Thanksgiving" but that includes Early December, Middle December, and Right before Christmas. When do we actually decorate? I don't remember. The tree doesn't got up until somewhere around the 10th - the 15th.

There's no poll option for "I don't celebrate Christmas." Way to make the Jewish kid feel left out. :p If I did decorate, I'd do it after Thanksgiving.

I know of two Jewish families who celebrate a secular Christmas and decorate. Granted, they're not very religious.

:confused: No tree or lights up at the Gumbo house? That surprises me, although I'm not sure why...

Many men are bah humbug when it comes to decorating. But like the Grinch, they turn into pussycats when the day finally arrives.

I have several friends who have already started Christmas decorating! As soon as Halloween ends, bam! It's Christmas everywhere! I even know people who are already listening to Christmas music.

Christmas is special, & I think it loses some of its "special-ness" when all the Christmas decor comes out in October. For me, by the time Christmas is actually here, all the decor looks tired & dismal if we've been looking at since before Halloween.

I don't like to rush the seasons. November is still fall, & Thanksgiving is still a fall holiday.

I LOVE Christmas decorating, but we've always waited until the Friday & Saturday after Thanksgiving to start decorating. If we're not hosting Thanksgiving at our house, we *might* start decorating the weekend before Thanksgiving just so it's done & we can relax after Thanksgiving - but that's the earliest we'll ever decorate. This year, we're hosting Thanksgiving, so, the day after Thanksgiving, I'll put away all our fall & Thanksgiving-specific decorations & then bring out the Christmas decor.

Sorry! Early Christmas decorating is a pet peeve of mine! LOL!

To answer the question, we decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving. We put away the Christmas decorations by the 12th day of Christmas (1/6). Our daughter's birthday is January 5th, so, some years, depending on what our plans are for her birthday, we will put the decorations on January 1st.

Music - Secretly in the car whenever I want, but never in front of DS until after Thanksgiving. (But on the way home from dinner at Grandma's counts as "after"!) He is staunchly against "Christmas Creep" infringing on his favorite holiday. - @RedAngie, our Christmas card one year had a picture of him holding a sign of that first comic you posted!

Outdoor Lights - Up on any convenient day around Thanksgiving (weather is a factor here) but not turned on until the day after Thanksgiving. Turned off the day after Epiphany, and taken down on the next convenient day.

Indoor Decorations - Up the long weekend after Thanksgiving, unless we're traveling. (If that's the case, in dribs and drabs as soon as I can get to them.) Down sometime the week after Christmas (because I'm off school, and usually feeling like it's a little cluttered by then anyway).

Tree (real) - Up two weekends before Christmas, down whenever the Boy Scouts tell me they're picking it up!

Can't vote as there is no - other option, I normally decorate for Christmas right after Halloween but this year I am waiting till Thanksgiving night.

I'm ready now! Likely I'll put everything up the weekend before Thanksgiving, including all lights and the tree and decor. Christmas music will probably happen next week. It'll all come down the first or second week of January.
I absolutely love the Christmas season, and love my decor. I love keeping it out for as long as possible and enjoying them. I've never grown tired of it, or thought it lost its specialness for being up for too long.

I'm itching to put up my decorations. I bought a ton of new stuff. But I have to wait until after Remembrance Day

I don't see my choice. Whenever I decide to get up off my lazy rump and do it. If the in laws are over for Thanksgiving. They're going up baby. If not, it might be a week later. It might be Christmas Eve. HAHA.

Just came in from getting all the Halloween stuff down. Christmas stuff starts going out tomorrow night.

I do agree with many of you though on Christmas creep. I decorate super early because I have to, but won't run the show before Thanksgiving and won't listen to music either. But once we watch the Philadelphia parade and Santa comes, it's all Christmas music for me...after listening to Alice's Restaurant.

I know of two Jewish families who celebrate a secular Christmas and decorate. Granted, they're not very religious.
Maybe I should do that since I'm not religious. I've always liked the secular aspects of Christmas. Even my grandma who was fairly religious sang Christmas carols.

I understood Thanksgiving in the original question to mean US Thanksgiving at the end of November, not Canadian Thanksgiving which is the second Monday of October (when US is celebrating Columbus Day). And all our stuff is down before Twelfth Night (Epiphany) because that is when Mardi Gras season starts. And it is bad luck to have Christmas decorations up after that. But you just take off the red stuff, add gold and purple and you have a Mardi Gras tree.

Music - Secretly in the car whenever I want
I always have at least 10 Christmas songs on my iPod at any given time, year round. I collected Christmas music compilation records (LPs) back in the day, and I've continued the collection into CDs. 4 weeks before Christmas I start putting 1/4th of my Christmas songs on my iPod each week so that, by Christmas, they're all on there (603 songs = 1.2 days worth of music), and then remove them in reverse after Christmas.

I am putting up outside Christmas lights today or tomorrow, only because the weather is still nice. They won't be turned on until the day after Thanksgiving. Interior decorating/tree will go up the weekend after Thanksgiving.

After Remembrance Day is the earliest we will start. We will maybe put the lights up as the weather is usually better.

Sunday after Thanksgiving.

if you have a live tree, you shouldn't put it up earlier than a week before. Otherwise, you have a really bad fire hazard.

Only a week!? :confused3 We usually put our live tree up 3-4 weeks before Christmas. As long as it stays watered it is fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter