Pointing out ASD to Resort staff

admepo

Mouseketeer
Hello! I have never felt compelled to point out our DS having an ASD at a resort but this year I am wondering if I should. We will be staying at WL at the end of July for 8 days. Jake has been prone to many more meltdowns lately and I am concerned someone will phone the desk to report us. What have your expereinces been with this???

Similar issues with DD. Not meltdowns but more like over friendly/in your face, hugs/talks to strangers etc. (yes, they have a safety plan in place at school and she takes a social skills class :goodvibes ). She is 8 and when she was little these behaviours were considered cute, now that she is older, people consider the behaviours odd more then anything.

Due to her outgoing/over friendly nature, she had a ton of cm interaction at WDW (whether they wanted the interaction or not :) . I think that the WDW resort cms have probably had more training then the average hotel employee regarding special needs children. All of the cm's who interacted with DD handled her over friendliness very well and didn't look at her as if she was odd, whereas others in the hotel industry have looked at her strangely in the past.

Doesn't WL have an awesome playground? Would it be possible for you to take Jake there during meltdowns, or for a big walk? For DD, distraction helps at the beginning of a similar situation, then it won't escalate into something.

I hope others have reccommendations for you but I wonder if you might want to consider emailing guest services about the situation and asking their opinion of this, or even faxing WL a few days before arrival and ask them to note this info. on your ressie. Also, maybe you could fax/call WL a few days before arrival and ask for an end room (and why). That way you would only have neighbours on one side.

As I said above, I hope other can offer some advice.
Suzy V.

We've wondered if anyone would complain when DD is VERY loudly giggling or squealing. I never thought of notifying the front desk, but the suggestions you got sound really good.

I would advise the front desk. DS is on the ASD spectrum, and lately has been saying things like "Don't hit me w/ hangers", "Don't pull my hair", "Don't slap me", etc...I think he is picking it up at school other than the hanger comment...I remember watching "Mommie Dearest" when he was in the room. I am always stressed that CPS will arrive at my door...if they looked at him they'd realize he was bruise and trauma free, but the whole experience would be horrible. If the front desk knows the possibilities they may handle things differently then if they had a report that a child was screaming in a room and no one understood why.

This information has been so helpful. Our son will be nearly 4 when we take him. He is communicative and most people don't even realize there is something wrong, but his behavior (meltdowns, anxiety attacks, etc.) can be VERY EMBARASSING. like you, our son will constantly say inappropriate things and I just know that we will need to tell the hotel that there is a problem.

We plan to go with the idea of being very flexible. We don't know what he will handle. He loves playgrounds so we definitely plan to take him there for some down time. He loves Buzz so we plan to stay at ASMOVIES.

Our family needs this trip. It has been such an emotional, stressful year and I just hope our trip goes ok. So many of my friends tell me not to take him, but I am realizing that we can't stop living!

Thanks for all the feedback. Good luck on your trip!

Thanks so much for all of your info. when we check in next Friday, my Dh will alert the CM about our son that way if there are any issues with him that at least they have a heads up. Can't wait for next week....not coming soon enough!!! :)

I wouldn't bother to say anything. There are SOOO many CM's that it will never get to all of them. And my guess is that if there is a problem, security is required to respond regardless.

Anne

have2getaway:
Your right, you can't stop doing things due to difficulties that may or may not arise during the vacation. I was once told by one of my daughters workers (a behavioural therapist) that we should take her to any live performances while she is young since it would be "too much for her to handle". Well, I didn't take that advice and the child has been to countless such events without difficulties.

I don't have much advice to offer, except, get to the parks AT opening if at all possible. In my experience it is quiet for the first couple of hours. Also, I assume you will have a stroller for your son. We rented a double WDW stroller for DD7 and DS4 12/04 and it was a godsend. If she became too over stimulated etc., she simply went in the stroller to read, eat, cuddle with a blanket, stuffed toy etc and IT MADE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN a so so trip and an awesome one. It gave her the personal space she needed when there was too much stimulation in the immediate area.

We stayed at all star movies 12/04 and the kids LOVED it. I know it is only a value resort but it it was so clean and the staff was so wonderful. The kids thought hey were in paradise (or so they said) . The only reason why we are staying at POP next trip is just to try something new. I would go back to ASMo in a heatbeat.

Happy planning!!
Suzy V.

ducklite said:
I wouldn't bother to say anything. There are SOOO many CM's that it will never get to all of them. And my guess is that if there is a problem, security is required to respond regardless.

Anne
good points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter