POFQ or Caribbean Beach

Marshmelo

DIS Veteran
Hopefully planning to go next October and wanting to decide where to stay. We stayed at PO Riverside last time (2018) and didn't really care for it. It was beautiful but just too large. For that reason I thought POFQ would be great for the size as well as the boat transportation to Disney Springs. We didn't use the boat to DS last time except for once because the walk was a lot further than the bus stop, but I'm thinking with POFQ being so much smaller, we will be close to the boat launch, especially if I request and hopefully get it. Staying at POFQ would be a no brainer if it weren't for the Skyliner being available at CBR now. I have never stayed there but it looks really nice and having the Skyliner to HS and EPCOT would be really nice. However, I know CBR is huge also. I would have to request a building close to the Skyliner and hope that we get our request. Throw into the mix of all this that my DH was less than thrilled with the bus system last time and says he doesn't want to ride them next time so we will probably be relying on uber/Minnie Vans to get to parks and/or DS when we can't use skyliner or a boat (not sure if it's easier at one resort over another to do this). It is important for us to have easy access to dinner options, that's why I thought POFQ for the boat to DS but we could also take the Skyliner to EPCOT and Riviera for dinner choices from CBR. What would you do? Thanks in advance for any input and positive/negative aspects you could point out!

We've stayed at POR, POFQ, and CBR in the last 5 years.

I agree with your sentiments on POR. While I liked the resort, for some reason it seemed even bigger than CBR to me! I did not stay at CBR post skyliner, so my opinion may not hold much weight or be helpful. But here goes....

CBR has the best pool, hand down. The POFQ pool is adequate. There is a child's play area which is about as nice as CBR's, maybe even the same just different theme, but the main pool doesn't have as great of a slide and is on the small side. However, when POR opens, being able to pool hop between the two is pretty cool. Even though CBR still beats POR's pool, 2 main pools is a great way to spend a resort day.

As for theme, I really like CBRs and thought I wouldn't like POFQ's. I was wrong. The streets and theme is really great, especially at night.

For size, POFQ has the advantage for sure. No internal buses needed and all buildings are close to the main hall.

For dining, CBR may have the advantage now with Sebastian's, but the main food areas are all the same to me. POFQ has beignets, so maybe it evens out, lol. POFQ doesn't have a sit down, but you can go over to POR's if you wanted one, or just go to the springs.

Taking the boat to and from the Springs is a nice bonus. Sometimes that line can get long and you have to wait a bit to and from, but it is a nicer way to get there vs the buses.

I haven't stayed at CBR but have stayed at both POR (2014) and POFQ (2018). We were at POFQ for our honeymoon for 10 days and we stayed in building 5 which is one of the closest to the food court, lobby, pool, and bus stop. It was ridiculously convenient! Our room was the first one on the second floor (5201), closest to the food court and made for a super easy time getting anywhere! We could see the pool from our room (laundry was also next to the pool).

We took the boat to DS (well, DS to POFQ because there was lightning on our way there) and it was a very pleasant ride. The boat dock is right near the pool. We also walked over to POR one night to see Yee Haa Bob and it was a lovely walk.

Our one complaint about POFQ is that because it is so small, the bus service to and from parks was way less frequent than the larger resorts. We would regularly wait 45+ minutes for a bus back to the resort while we watched other resorts get 3+ buses back to their resorts in the same time period. Because of this we found we ended up using Lyft when we wanted to go back to the resort, both for afternoon breaks or at night.

I have stayed at both just a couple of weeks ago staying at CB for two nights after an amazing 9 night stay at WL. I have stayed many times at CB and this most recent visit I am no longer a fan. Yes it is on the Skyliner route but I would choose Pop over CB hands down. CB seemed very weathered to me. It seemed almost dirty. Very busy, very big, not lush and pretty to me at all. Yes the changes are new in some areas but even our room seemed old and we had a nice location. I don't know for whatever reason for me it was unimpressive for a DIsney resort. Port Orleans is absolutely beautiful. Very peaceful and lovely. CB is very busy, very loud and the Rivera is a large resort right there it seems so out of place. I would choose POR without question. My opinion of course.

Hopefully planning to go next October and wanting to decide where to stay. We stayed at PO Riverside last time (2018) and didn't really care for it. It was beautiful but just too large. For that reason I thought POFQ would be great for the size as well as the boat transportation to Disney Springs. We didn't use the boat to DS last time except for once because the walk was a lot further than the bus stop, but I'm thinking with POFQ being so much smaller, we will be close to the boat launch, especially if I request and hopefully get it. Staying at POFQ would be a no brainer if it weren't for the Skyliner being available at CBR now. I have never stayed there but it looks really nice and having the Skyliner to HS and EPCOT would be really nice. However, I know CBR is huge also. I would have to request a building close to the Skyliner and hope that we get our request. Throw into the mix of all this that my DH was less than thrilled with the bus system last time and says he doesn't want to ride them next time so we will probably be relying on uber/Minnie Vans to get to parks and/or DS when we can't use skyliner or a boat (not sure if it's easier at one resort over another to do this). It is important for us to have easy access to dinner options, that's why I thought POFQ for the boat to DS but we could also take the Skyliner to EPCOT and Riviera for dinner choices from CBR. What would you do? Thanks in advance for any input and positive/negative aspects you could point out!

We’ve stayed at CBR, POR and POFQ. CBR earlier this month and POFQ and POR in the last several years; multiple visits. I am very biased and I know my opinion is unpopular but I vote french quarter. I really dislike CBR. My only positive for CBR is the skyliner, however that’s over shadowed by how large CBR is and some other negatives. If you disliked POR for resort size, you’ll most definitely find CBR large. I think CBR feels a lot larger than POR. My two cents on CBR-
-more bus stops on internal bus loop than French quarter, even when riverside and French quarter combine stops which is fairly normal.
-if size/walking distance is of concern, at CBR you’ll want to book a preferred room and not just a room close to the skyliner. You will want to be close to both the skyliner and the lobby. A walk to the market can be 10 min if not nearby. Hopefully by then the island marketplaces (grab and go satellite locations) will be reopened.
-rooms at CBR are tired and old feeling. They need a refurb badly. Can’t recall exactly when French quarter last was redone but they have a new feel. I think it was 2018.
-don’t care for Caribbean theming. FQ theming is more unique imo.
-grounds aren’t as nice as port Orleans.
-dining- neither resorts have any significant positives or negatives in either favor. Sebastian’s is better than boatwrights IMO. I think the center town market at CBR is a bit nicer since the lobby was recently remodeled but it’s food offering is nothing different than FQ.

The skyliner is a big positive but do keep in mind, bus service to DHS and Epcot has been greatly reduced at skyliner resorts so when the skyliner does go down, Disney is slow to get the buses going, not just from the resort but from the parks/Disney Springs. As long as you’re good with added expense of uber and/or Minnie van, that will be a non issue if you’re planning to avoid the buses.

If you thought POR was too large, you are going to HATE CBR! We love POR - it's quiet, yes, the bus makes a loop but there aren't that many stops and there is always a stop nearby. Mostly though, we love the QUIET. It's such a break from the parks and the food court and pool are not too far away once you know your way around. By design, POR walkways meander around. Once you figure that out there are always quicker ways to get around. If you liked everything about POR except the spread-out nature of it, you'll love POFQ.

But we aren't talking about POR, we are talking about CBR. The place is HUGE and has its own internal (or should I say inFERnal) bus, and it takes forever to get around. Park buses follow the same route and also take forever. Certainly better if you have a car, but still can be difficult to get around the resort itself. We booked a room there but got so frustrated in the first couple of hours that my wife called and got us moved to AoA instead. Let me tell you, AoA ROCKS compared to CBR! It's also got the skyliner it's not so spread out, the buses are far more reliable and we liked the food court better - worth considering for sure, especially if you spring for a 1BR suite room (POP too, but no 1 BRs). Remember that the Skyliner shuts down during storms, putting you back on a bus.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far! It sounds like the Skyliner being at CBR isn’t enough to make it better than POFQ. I was leaning toward POFQ anyway but the Skyliner was trying to lure me away. Let’s just hope PO opens back up by next fall. @Lumpy1106, thanks for the suggestion I will check into AoA although I was thinking it was a bit pricey for a suite. Maybe there will be some good deals next year.

I’ve stayed at CBR twice but about ten years ago and I recently stayed at POFQ a year ago.

I loved our stays at both but the edge goes to POFQ. I love the theming and small resort. The food was great. We never used the pool but it looked good to me. We had building 4 and were so close to everything but any building is close to everything. The buses were great too. Never had a long wait.

We also love the theming of CBR and the pool was awesome. Never had bad bus service but this was years ago. But Back then people complained about the bus service and we never had issues. I do like the new look of CBR and wouldn’t mind staying there again.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far! It sounds like the Skyliner being at CBR isn’t enough to make it better than POFQ. I was leaning toward POFQ anyway but the Skyliner was trying to lure me away. Let’s just hope PO opens back up by next fall. @Lumpy1106, thanks for the suggestion I will check into AoA although I was thinking it was a bit pricey for a suite. Maybe there will be some good deals next year.
Yeah, I don't disagree about the cost - It was around $400/night when we stayed there in 2018 and it's gone up considerably since the Skyliner opened. We saw that coming - and it's a big reason why we are DVC members now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter