POFQ or AKL

MidwestMulan

Earning My Ears
We are currently booked for a Girls only trip (my DD and I) for 9 nights in late July. We are currently booked at POFQ. but I am considering upgrading us to AKL. I have never stayed at AKL-- what would be some of the major benefits? I know the animals will be great and the rooms are bigger, but any other hidden gems I should know about? Also, possibly considering a split stay?

Thanks!

I love AKL, so I am biased some of the ones that come to mind are some of the best dining on property and access to Deluxe Extra Evening Hours. I think with such a long trip a split stay that lines up with being at AKL around those extra evening hours would be great.

We stayed at POFQ recently and it was one and done for us. The food options are, to put it mildly, not great. Proximity to the parks I think is slightly better (AKL’s driveway alone is a hike) but if you can swing all 9 nights there I would not hesitate to upgrade - more space, more scenery, better food options, as long as you’re OK with being more isolated.

We are currently booked for a Girls only trip (my DD and I) for 9 nights in late July. We are currently booked at POFQ. but I am considering upgrading us to AKL. I have never stayed at AKL-- what would be some of the major benefits? I know the animals will be great and the rooms are bigger, but any other hidden gems I should know about? Also, possibly considering a split stay?

Thanks!
I love AKL, hopping on the bus is super easy and the stop is covered but as you can imagine, it's a bus ride to all parks. So long as you don't mind all bus transport to the parks, it's a great resort. We like the main pool at Jambo and loved having a savanna view room. Dining is also good so long as it's all open. If you don't do a savanna view room, there are a ton of lookouts around the resort to animal watch.

I love AKL, hopping on the bus is super easy and the stop is covered but as you can imagine, it's a bus ride to all parks. So long as you don't mind all bus transport to the parks, it's a great resort. We like the main pool at Jambo and loved having a savanna view room. Dining is also good so long as it's all open. If you don't do a savanna view room, there are a ton of lookouts around the resort to animal watch.
If you book a regular room, you can also request "partial savanna view." it's not a booking category, but my TA has put it in on our reservation and every time, we've had a great view of the animals, if you don't mind a post or tree in the way!

Thanks!
100% we'd stick with POFQ. We did Kidani once and while the 2 bedroom was amazing; we really didn't like the resort, food options, pool, or transportation. The animals are cool, but really only something you see on your way out the door or on a down day and just not worth it in our opinion.

I personally would not want to be at AKL for 9 days. It's long bus rides to the parks and DS for all of your entertainment and dining outside of the resort. I could see staying maybe 3 nights to enjoy the resort dining, animals, and pools. Would also visit AK while staying there as it's the closest park.

POFQ has a great location for busing to the parks. You can easily walk over to POR for their amenities and a leisurely boat ride to DS for more dining and shopping options. POFQ is also a nice small resort with easy walking to the lobby, Sassagoula's, Scat Cat's, bus stop, etc. We really enjoy the themeing and atmosphere around the resort as well. Quaint little streets, towering trees, lovely flowers and bushes....:love:

I haven't stayed there, but I would absolutely choose AKL if you at all plan to do any kind of downtime at the resort. I know I'm in the minority but POFQ was a one and done for me. What some folks find small and quaint I found claustrophobic and the on site dining frankly stinks, very limited options and I found the beignets probably the most overrated food on property. The proximity to DS is very nice and mitigates the dining issues somewhat but it got very old very quickly having to get on a boat any time I wanted decent food. Plus if you're going during summer storm season that boat is down more often than not during prime dinner hours, I ended up taking rideshares most of the time I went. It's closer to the parks is about all. Tbh I would take a look at some of the resort tours on YouTube to get a feel for what each resort is like and see which one appeals more.

my 2 favorite resorts! We've done a split stay our last two trips. We start at FQ for easy access to DS and then switch to AKL . Can't go wrong with either one!

Split stay between the two?? These are 2 of our favorite resorts, only if it's in Jambo for AKL. AKL definitely has great food but those are mainly the TS restaurants and POFQ by far has a better QS area and for us that is very important. I always tell people that you have to stay at AKL at least once, because it is by far the most unique resort at WDW, again only in Jambo. Because of the atmoshphere and the lobby is fantastic to come back too every night. POFQ is a fantastic theme, with the New Orleans style streets and railings on the buildings, horse drawn carriages walking by at night, the river and of course the boat to DS. And yes we really like the beignets:)

AKL but I’m admittedly one of the very few that doesn’t care for POFQ.
I also love the theming and ambiance of AKL and think it has much better food options.

Just came back from 7 days at Jambo house ! Loved it and would definitely go back. The food and ambiance was great . This is the first time we stayed at a deluxe. We usually stay at POFQ . You cannot go wrong with either one! If your budget allows you to though try AKL ! You will not be disappointed!

We love both resorts so either one is a great pick. Some benefits to AKL is that the hallways are indoors with air-conditioning as opposed to walking outside to your room at POFQ which could make a difference with the heat in July. I like AKL because in the rooms, you have a sofa to relax on and the balcony to sit out on for some morning coffee. If you are planning any non-park days, having a large indoor lobby like AKL is a benefit since there really isn't any seating area in the lobby at POFQ. The pool area at AKL is way nicer too. As long as you are good with how far it is to get to the parks from AKL, I'd vote on the upgrade. Have a wonderful trip!!

I love both resorts--my two faves--but I do not love a split stay. I like unpacking and settling in for the duration. Split stay means having a day in there when you might not have access to your room for several hours.

I love DAK, so being at AKL is a bonus there, since the buses come frequently and take about 5 minutes to get there. The bus ride to MK is really no longer than the bus ride from any other non-monorail resort, so that doesn't bother me. It's true that Epcot and DHS are much closer to FQ--if that's a consideration for you--and of course the boat ride to DS is great.

FQ is much less expensive than AKL, so that's always part of the decision process.

I guess what I'm saying is that you cannot go wrong with either of your choices!

Thanks!
The extended evening hours and additional dining options are major benefits. You get 2 resorts if you stay at AKL. I do prefer the Kidani pool to Jambo but Jambo is better for dining. My family has done the walk between the two numerous times in order to take advantage of both.

We were not crazy about AKL the one time we stayed there. We were out early and came back late so never got to see the animals from our room. We had to see them from the viewing areas the one time we came back for dinner at Boma which is what we do when we stay at other resorts and visit for dinner. We found the hallways long and the bus system not as good as moderate resorts that also only have bus as an option.

Thanks everyone for all your help! We made the decision to try out AKL as we have done POFQ before and we did POR last year and visited POFQ a couple times while there. Thanks for all of the advice... and onward to planning! 60 days out today, so just made our dining reservations including both a breakfast and dinner at Boma!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter