Please...tell me that I'll love Old Key West!

Mom B

DIS Veteran
We're not DVC members (at this time, but there's always hope!) but are
planning to stay at OKW in October 2002 (on rented points). DH and I
stayed there in Jan '99 (primarily because, w/o kids,
I really wanted the one bedroom with the jacuzzi) and really enjoyed it.
It also was the most economical alternative I could find (as this time we'll
be accompanied by DS, his wife, and 2 kids; DD and her husband;
our teen DD and DS; also my mom and DH's parents).

But just last night we got out the videos of our 1997 trip, when we stayed
at Wilderness Lodge, and I got to thinking how much we'll miss the
atmosphere, the waterfall, the geyser, the water pageant...and I wonder
if I'm going to regret the decision.

Please tell me why we're going to love OKW this time around. I'm a
little worried about it being so spread out and spending so much time to
get from place to place. I know we'll love the rooms, but there's more to
it than that. Will we hate the ground floor units(I understand there isn't
much of a view?)...since we need to have "no stairs" for the older ones?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!:)

we stayed at OKW this past August and it was nice. However, if I do stay again I will be specific in asking that we stay close to the lobby. The studio we had was 3832 and it was close to nothing. I had to take the car every time we had to go to the general store. Also, the nearest ice machine was located at the bus stop. In essence it was not as convenient as the Broadwalk, which is where we stayed a week earlier. If location is not important then you will enjoy the scenery and the quiet atmosphere. We have stayed at many locations thorough our WDW and OKW was the most inconvenient of all of them. Enjoy your vacation!!

How many units are you getting? A Grand Villa won't even hold your entire party. I mention those because they all start on the second floor. You can get one in the new buildings, they do have elevators, but it seems that you are going to need two two bedroom units. One of these can be on the ground floor and the other on a higher floor. That may make all your requests possible/

I'm not sure about the ground floor Grand Villas at OKW, but in April we had a ground floor 2 bedroom unit and we loved the view. We asked for a golf course view and ended up with a view of the golf course and water. It was great. We all enjoyed sitting out on the deck watching the animals and the golfers. Admittedly, this isn't the same as people watching on the Boardwalk, but it was exactly what we wanted.

Also, we had a car and drove to most of the parks. However, on the few occasions that we did take the bus, we had no problems. We weren't close to the Hospitality House (HH), but whenever we wanted to go there, we drove. It took 2 minutes to drive there and we always found parking in front of the HH.

Enjoy!!!

Rich is right, no ground floor GVs, but I too would do his suggestion of a ground floor 2 bedroom and a second floor 2 bedroom directly above. I am sure they could accomodate you with that request, and then some of you would have good views. Also, not all ground floor units are viewless. I think it is mostly the studios that have a limited view because of the vegetation. Most patio/balconys have some sort of view. We too like the wildlife watching here.

you will have more fun at the boardwalk...OLD keywest is for older people...boring..do not tell yams anything about the size of your party...he will rat on you!!!!!

Mom B, I think you will love OKW. We are owners at BWV but have stayed twice now at OKW because BWV were full. Last March, we were in a 1 bedroom at OKW - ground level. We did not request a specific location (just wanted non-smoking) and had a beautiful view of the golf course. We were in Bldg. 24 and it was great! We stayed at WL resort last Thanksgiving and yes, it is magnificent. But, IMHO, all the Disney resorts are spectacular in their own right. We have never been disappointed with any of our stays! OKW has its own ambience. It is a relaxing resort with beautiful landscaping and views of the golf course. The rooms are spacious, which I think you will enjoy with the size of your group. We felt "at home" at OKW, so much so, that when I can, I want to add on points through a resale at OKW. Don't worry about your choice - just expect to have a great time. :D Happy planning!

LOL, Pluto! And I never will tell how many were in our 1 bedroom last summer because I don't want to get flamed....

Mom B,

We bought at VWL and took our first trip home in July. We spent the first three nights at OKW in a studio. It's not WL, true, but it has its own charm. It was so quiet and relaxing after all the chaos of the parks. A couple of times we got off the bus at Hospitality House and took the ten minute walk back to our unit (I forget the number, I think it was 4-something). And one morning I went out on our little patio to find a bunny had beaten me to it. He wasn't at all fazed by my presence, and I think we became friends. We had a car, and if we had quick business in the lobby, we'd use it. Otherwise, we used the buses. DH refuses to drive around WDW, and we all prefer the buses to a car now. As long as you allow plent of time (you're on vacation, right?), you shouldn't have any problems with the transportation. As far as missing the atmosphere at WL, I can't promise that you won't. VWL is our home, and after the three nites at OKW, we spent five nites in a one-bedroom at VWL. We do love it there. Disney went all out on the theming at the Lodge, but the Florida theming is very well done at OKW. It's just different, and definitely not as obvious as WL or AKL.

Thanks so much for all your input! I feel very reassured. And,
yes, I do believe that anywhere in WDW is a special place, so
why should I have worried? I think we will request a building
close to the main pool, etc., and a bus stop and hope that will
help. We'll probably have at least one rental car, too.

By the way, we are getting a two bedroom and 4 studios for
our group...that way we have one unit with some "sitting space"
and the full kitchen for the group to use, but most of the
smaller family units can have their own "space" as well. After
all, only one family are smokers, so they'll need to be in
smoking, and that way the ones with little kids can have their
"quiet time" if they need it, etc., and so can the grandparents.
I'd love to do the Grand Villa someday, but then again, we
probably couldn't handle all that "togetherness" for too long!

Thanks again!:bounce:

I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful time. The combination of a two-bedroom and studio units is a great idea for a large group. The studios at OKW are terrific but if you judge the resort only on a studio stay you don't get the "full effect". The studios are primarily on the corners and tend to have obstructed views and you don't get the home feel.

It's true you are not within walking distance to parks but I don't think you'll find your travel times from OKW much different than those from WLV. In fact, you'll be considerably closer to MGM and Epcot.

If you are not in a studio, there isn't even any need to go to the front area of the resort after you check-in. If you do choose to go there, you can hop on any bus or I've found the walk from most areas to be no more than 5-10 minutes. I think being able to look out on the golf course in the early morning is magical. You never know what kind of wild life is going to be out there.

Relax, it's going to be a terrific trip!

you have 3 view - water (including pool), woods, and golf course - I generally ask for water view (not pool), near a quiet pool and a bus stop. not always in this order.

We purchased at the BWV in May of last year. We were already planning a trip to WDW in December and could only get into OKW. I was a little disappointed but that was only until we walked in the door. It was fabulous! We had a 3rd floor 2 bdr with a beautiful view of the 7th green of the LBV golf course. We were there for 8 days and it was so sad to leave. We rented bikes and swam, and absolutely loved our stay. Our next trip is in 4 wks, finally at the BWV but my DH is really wishing we were going back to OKW. I think you will love it.

It really "warms my heart" to hear all the wonderful stories
and encouragement. I can feel the "magic" coming back...and
I'm ready to go, confident that it will be wonderful experience
that we're looking for! Thanks to everyone!

Our home resort is OKW and we love it there!!! It is a little spread out, but if you request a room closer to the main buliding, there's not a walk at all, and then you're close to the restaurants and the main pool. There are also several queit pools spread throughout the resort. There's a little boat that will take you to Downtown Disney (or at least there used to be...sometimes that runs a little unpredicatably) and we have personally never had a problem with the bus service to the parks etc. It has kind of a laid back feel to it, which is nice on vacation. I don't think you'll regret your decision.

I think when we've stayed at OKW the only times we've been back to the front area after check-in was to pick up our packages delivered there. Oh wait, that was EVERY day. :D

Actually, I don't think you'll have any problems with a ground floor view in a 2-br unit (I'm assuming that will be ground floor so everyone in your party can access it). When we've stayed at OKW we've been with my brother who requires a handicap unit so, ground floor is all we've had. The view from the living room was great - overlooking the golf course. I did find that the vegetation covered quite a bit of the windows in the 2nd bedroom/studio and did cut down on the view from there. It did add to the ‘tropical’ feel though.

I love OKW, better than BWV! No offense, but BWV has a killer walk from room to lobby, room to pool and room to lake! We stayed above the Atlantic Dance Hall and it had a mag view, but the walk was killer.

I wouldn't even want to trip down to the buses!

OKW is quite, homey and beautiful. BWV is too, but very busy, lots of locals and conventions.

Just my opinion.

I love OKW and regardless of what Pluto says ( I am sure tongue in cheek) it is not just for old people and it is not boring. It is quiet and soothing and trust me, there will be some kid screaming and that will liven things up.
Some ground floors have a lot of flora in front of them, but, not all.
The newer buildings have elevators (they are all non smoking, btw), so, perhaps that could be an option.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have since 92. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter