• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please talk to me about the Candy Cane Inn!

BriannaRuth

DIS Veteran
We normally stay at the DLH but this year we're going with my daughter's girl scout troop. They're staying at the Candy Cane Inn, so we'll be staying there as well. I've seen pretty good reviews for it, but it's obviously not the DLH.

I saw one post that it was a 20 minute walk to the entrance ... is that correct? Actually if so, I guess it's not that much further than the DLH by the time you go through DTD. Also saw that it has a free shuttle, but we like to be first in line at the gate to have a chance of riding PP in the AM so I'm guessing we're not going to be able to use it. Any idea what time we'd need to leave the room if we want to be first at the gate? (Not first at security, just first at any of the gates.)

Is there any room or area that we should request? Are the standard rooms ok? We'll just have 2 in the room so don't need a big room.

Thanks!

I haven't stayed but I might try it this summer. The standard rooms are the smallest (but fine for 2) closest to the entrance (shuttle, pool, breakfast area). The deluxe are a little bigger and a little further back and the premium are at the back of the 'U' and a re the biggest and with those rooms you will get breakfast delivered to your room.
If we opt to stay, we will most likely walk for our magic morning because I like to be right at the gates and the shuttle doesn't start running until 6:30am for a 7:00 magic morning

We normally stay at the DLH but this year we're going with my daughter's girl scout troop. They're staying at the Candy Cane Inn, so we'll be staying there as well. I've seen pretty good reviews for it, but it's obviously not the DLH.

I saw one post that it was a 20 minute walk to the entrance ... is that correct? Actually if so, I guess it's not that much further than the DLH by the time you go through DTD.
It is an 8 minute walk if you are power walking, 10-12 minutes casual. One minor crosswalk if I recall.

Comparing distances? Check this: https://www.mouseplanet.com/7280/How_Far_Is_It

Also saw that it has a free shuttle, but we like to be first in line at the gate to have a chance of riding PP in the AM so I'm guessing we're not going to be able to use it. Any idea what time we'd need to leave the room if we want to be first at the gate? (Not first at security, just first at any of the gates.)
The free shuttle is really good and in my experience runs like clockwork every 30 minutes (top and bottom of the hour from CCI, quarter and three-quarter hour from DLR).

It starts 30 minutes before regular park opening and on days with Magic Morning at DL, starts 30 minutes before that.

Bottom line is if you are going to DCA on a DL MM day (Tue/Thu/Sat), and DCA opens at the same time as DL (as typical) you can leave CCI 30, 60 or 90 minutes before DCA opens. 60 would be good for RD.

Getting to DL early for RD on non-MM or MM days is a challenge. You will not get to the security gates until about 20 minutes RD. That is not that great. Bottom line is you will need to walk those mornings or catch an Uber if you want to be inside security and in line at the DL turnstiles 30-40 minutes early (a good RD strategy IMO).

DCA has the same issues on days where you cannot catch the early shuttle for DL MM. Which means Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri.

If you want to walk to DLR for RD, then plan at least 20 minutes to get to the DL or DCA gates to allow time for security. Allow 30 minutes to be sure.

To be first at the DL or DCA gates, you need to be there at least 45 minutes early before the park or MM happens.

Is there any room or area that we should request? Are the standard rooms ok? We'll just have 2 in the room so don't need a big room.
Standard rooms are fine and I have used those a bunch. Others speak highly of the deluxe rooms and those are available if you want.

:wizard:

Last edited:
We stayed several years back, and I recall the standard rooms being on the small side and a bit dated, which was fine because we really only used it to sleep and shower. But the rooms are super clean, and housekeeping does a fabulous job. The grounds of the property are gorgeous - very lush, with flowers and plants everywhere. The staff is amazing - super friendly and very helpful. We did not use the free shuttle because oftentimes it was quicker to walk to the parks, but it was nice to know that it was there to be used. The breakfast is great, as long as you get there early. What they put out is what they put out, so if you come closer to it's ending time, there are slim pickings. The pool area is nice as well. I'd definitely stay there again.

I enjoy Candy Cane... I do prefer the premium rooms myself. The walk is closer to 10-15 mins depending on how fast you walk.

Love it! Standard rooms are fine, clean, enough room for 2...good breakfast and shuttle is dependable. I usually walk in the morning....10 minutes max. It is a very easy walk....one small crosswalk/signal light and on the same side of Harbor as the entrance.

Do not stay in room 151! It is next to house cleaning. We stayed there on May 11th after 2 nights at DLH. At check in they gave me a king room (for 5 people). I told him I reserved a deluxe 2 Queen. He asked if I did it online and I said yes. He then informed me I reserved a king. After I showed him my confirmation email of 2 Queens, he kindly put us in the only first floor room ready, 151. After we checked in and unloaded the car we started to get ready to head back to the park. We had been in the room for about an hour and all of a sudden our door opens and it is a housekeeper. She quickly says sorry and walks out. She never knocked and the room was cleaned and good to go, so I am not sure why she was walking in. When I told the office about it, the clerk made a face like "not again" and made a note of my complaint. While I think the keep the grounds and room looking nice, the rooms are too small for 5 people. They had a nice breakfast which we were all fans of, but the housekeeper barging in left a very bad impression on us and we will not be returning to the Candy Cane Inn.

We’ve stayed at all the on site hotels and twice at Candy Cane Inn. I have a friend who LOVES it there and will only stay there. She had an issue once there and they really took care of her so I’d say they have excellent customer service. It is family owned and they really care about repeat business and their reputation.
I think what you get is very consistent across multiple stays. I’ve stayed in a Standard room and a premium room. I would put 4 people max in a standard room. They are small. But they are very clean. They aren’t new and fancy but they don’t feel outdated either...more charming. The grounds are very pretty. Reminds me of Fantasyland a little bit with the cobblestone and all the hanging baskets. Small pool in middle of parking lot but lots of greenery. My daughters love staying there because they love the breakfast. My oldest (11) told me she likes it just as much as staying on-site because of the breakfast.
I like it...but not as much as my friend, lol. I prefer to be a little closer (Fairfield Inn) when not staying on-site BUT I’ll happily stay here again in the future. The shuttle is awesome too. We use it sometimes and sometimes we walk (10-12 minutes). Overall, it’s cute, clean, easy, and you know what you’re getting. One of the few hotels that don’t charge for parking!

Its our off site hotel of choice. We've stayed there most times than I can count in the last 12-14 years. Its close, the shuttle is great, and breakfast is enough to start the day. We've never encountered any of the noise or housekeeping issues that others have occasionally mentioned. The grounds are beautiful for a little motel. They take care pride in the appearance.

When we started staying there years ago we had a nice visit with the shuttle driver. He was telling us the story of how the hotel started. It was a year after DL opened. The man who built it was a young guy who had immigrated with his family from Turkey. He took a gamble that DL would take off and invested in property and built a motel. The family still owned the hotel at that time, and I believe they still do.

I stayed there a couple years ago on a last minute trip with just one of my girls. I think she was 5 at the time. Its a pretty easy walk to the park (even for the 5yo) though we also used the shuttle a couple times which was nice. I found the room to be quite dark (second floor) and fairly small but mostly we were just sleeping there so it wasn't a huge deal. It was clean and the property was cute. Breakfast was OK but I admit I was kind of expecting a little more after all the raving about it on this board.

We stayed at the Tropicana this past weekend and while the room was small, the recent refurb/remodel was very pleasant (though it would have been even better if they had also replaced the loud, older room A/C units...this is a problem with a lot of the hotels on Harbor tho). They don't include breakfast but there is a fridge and microwave in the room so you can easily bring your own stuff or purchase stuff at their mini-mart/coffee bar. Love being so much closer. I have also stayed at all 3 on site hotels, the Park Vue Inn, the Hojo, the Carousel (RIP), the Grand Legacy (when it was the Ramada) and the new Holiday Inn Express behind the Fairfield/Courtyard. While I would stay at CCI again, I feel like the last several times I've gone to book there were closer, cheaper (but still decent) options that won out.

When Grand Cal DVC rooms are booked, Candy Cane is our go to. I’ve stayed there 4 times with another trip coming in a month. I always stay in standard rooms and they are just fine. The beds are so so comfy, hot water in the shower, good water pressure... yes ask for a room away from housekeeping.

The breakfast is a fairly large spread. I love eating next to the pool with the cool (not cold) SoCal morning air... grabbing the shuttle after eating or walking if the timing doesn’t work. The service at CCI is top notch. You will definitely love your stay!

I stayed there a couple years ago on a last minute trip with just one of my girls. I think she was 5 at the time. Its a pretty easy walk to the park (even for the 5yo) though we also used the shuttle a couple times which was nice. I found the room to be quite dark (second floor) and fairly small but mostly we were just sleeping there so it wasn't a huge deal. It was clean and the property was cute. Breakfast was OK but I admit I was kind of expecting a little more after all the raving about it on this board.

We stayed at the Tropicana this past weekend and while the room was small, the recent refurb/remodel was very pleasant (though it would have been even better if they had also replaced the loud, older room A/C units...this is a problem with a lot of the hotels on Harbor tho). They don't include breakfast but there is a fridge and microwave in the room so you can easily bring your own stuff or purchase stuff at their mini-mart/coffee bar. Love being so much closer. I have also stayed at all 3 on site hotels, the Park Vue Inn, the Hojo, the Carousel (RIP), the Grand Legacy (when it was the Ramada) and the new Holiday Inn Express behind the Fairfield/Courtyard. While I would stay at CCI again, I feel like the last several times I've gone to book there were closer, cheaper (but still decent) options that won out.

Which off site one is your favorite? We’ve only stayed at PVI but have reservations for CCI. Seems so far compared to PVI but the rate was cheaper and seem the same other than the distance.

Which off site one is your favorite? We’ve only stayed at PVI but have reservations for CCI. Seems so far compared to PVI but the rate was cheaper and seem the same other than the distance.

I'd say CCI is nicer than PVI but the location for PVI is so nice. But I'd probably pick Tropicana over both unless provided breakfast is extremely important to you.

I'd say CCI is nicer than PVI but the location for PVI is so nice. But I'd probably pick Tropicana over both unless provided breakfast is extremely important to you.

Thanks.The free parking is nice and Tropicana is more expensive plus would have to pay parking. Too bad CCI can’t be in PVIs location :)

Thanks for all the opinions! I'm feeling better about staying here. Will definitely ask for a room away from housekeeping.

Chiming in with all the positives...we have been staying at CCI for years and always had good experiences. Free parking (you can usually park very near your door), breakfast (nothing fancy but good enough to get you going), shuttle, friendly helpful staff, AAA discount, and clean comfortable rooms all ensure that we return again and again. I really like that it is a small, rather than giant corporate, operation. One thing I will say is that the last couple of times I have asked for early housekeeping on our way in to the parks as we came back in the early afternoon once to a room that hadn't been serviced yet (which they promptly took care of, but I like it to have been done already when we return at midday).

The walk is really easy and quick and there's something about already being on the DL side of Harbor that makes it seem faster than the "across the street" hotels.

It's a great and affordable place to stay!

It’s my favorite offsite. We’ve tried others but we always come back. We usually walk to the parks in the morning and then we take the shuttle back at night. The continental breakfast is nice, we like to eat at the tables outside near the pool. And my favorite part is the landscaping. It’s just so darn pretty.

I just now booked it for our September trip. It is our go to place to stay for all of the reasons mentioned above. We are just two adults so we booked the standard room. When our boys were younger we found the Deluxe rooms to be better for a family of 4. We also like to request the second floor to avoid noisy people above us who like to do jumping jacks at 1am.

Do they have breakfast available early enough to get to the park 45 minutes ahead of opening on MM?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter