Please talk me out of booking extra day

auteur55

Mouseketeer
So heading out for first time on Sept the 14th, just me and the little one 6 years old. Going to parks from 15th to 19th with 5 day park hoppers staying at DLH. This week is our one vacation this year so I've poured a lot into it.

Figured 5 days in park would be more then enough and we were going to wake up on Saturday the 20th and drive home. Problem is as i've read more and more comments here and started doing the math of the shorter hours I think it's possible there could still be a lot we want to do that we won't get the chance too. I usually avoid weekends because of crowds but that Saturday on the site says they are blocking annual passport. Rather then running home just to sit and be depressed all of Sunday maybe I should just do that Saturday in the park as well and drive home Sunday!

So is this a result of over planning anxiety? Over zealousness? Any tips on how that Saturday would be and if we're doing too much. Thanks!

So heading out for first time on Sept the 14th, just me and the little one 6 years old. Going to parks from 15th to 19th with 5 day park hoppers staying at DLH. This week is our one vacation this year so I've poured a lot into it.

Figured 5 days in park would be more then enough and we were going to wake up on Saturday the 20th and drive home. Problem is as i've read more and more comments here and started doing the math of the shorter hours I think it's possible there could still be a lot we want to do that we won't get the chance too. I usually avoid weekends because of crowds but that Saturday on the site says they are blocking annual passport. Rather then running home just to sit and be depressed all of Sunday maybe I should just do that Saturday in the park as well and drive home Sunday!

So is this a result of over planning anxiety? Over zealousness? Any tips on how that Saturday would be and if we're doing too much. Thanks!

If it were me, I'd stay over to Sunday and take a day off in the middle of the week. Five days in a row is exhausting. I prefer to have a day to relax, swim and shop in the middle.

On Saturday you can do rides in the early a.m., then switch to shows and entertainment with FP rides as they fit in for the afternoon and evening. There are many options available on the weekend that aren't during the weekdays during the off season.

6 day tickets are not offered. You are already planning on going to the parks 5 days. You will have no need to stay an extra day since you will not be able to add any additional park time.

Since you asked to be talked out of booking an extra day, I will not add in my reasons why I think you should book an extra day and take a mid week break from the parks :)

If staying an extra day is an option, and within your budget, for us, it wouldn't even be a question;)!

You could get up Saturday morning, and hit the Parks at opening, do anything you might have missed or would like to repeat, then go back to your hotel to rest and relax for the afternoon, before enjoying a last night in the Parks.

We usually go for a week(or more) at a time, and have never been exhausted from being there that long.

In fact(for us), the more days we're there, the more leisurely our touring is, and the more we can see, take in, experience, and enjoy, at a slower pace!::yes::

I would stay an extra day and take a break after the third day. If you or the little one like Fireworks or want to see Fantasmic, the weekend will be only chance to see them. With 5 days in the parks, even at a very slow pace, you will have plenty of time to do and see everything you want to.

I'm with you about never going on a Saturday. I would definitely drive home on Saturday so that you have time to unpack and unwind on Sunday. You won't be depressed until Monday, and that day will come regardless of what you do on Saturday. Plus, you'll need about an hour to post a trip report and photos on these boards!

You have five full days at DLR. That's more than enough time to see and do everything. No need to add another day. Plus, you won't be able to add a day to your tickets unless you upgrade to an Annual Passport or buy a separate ticket for Saturday.

Back when you could get 6 day park hoppers we did a 5 1/2 day visit, with just a partial day the 6th. The family consensus was that it was too much time. We were all tired and done with crowds and lines at the end. If we had just gone the 5 days it would have been better...the half day sorta was the tipping point of being too much for us. That said it wasn't a once in a lifetime trip...we used to go yearly, now it's every couple of years.

Of course when I say talk me out I mean talk me in. :) Definitely varying opinions. We were planning on staying at the parks late on Friday to see Fantasmic and Fireworks. So instead of paying another $400 to stay at DLH an extra night I booked Castle Inn which is in walking distance so we could get a good night sleep Friday. So I would move over to other hotel Friday then be waking up there and checking out.

I would have to buy a day ticket that day so an extra $200 bucks. I agree that it would make the trip much more leisurely I'm just thinking with the shorter hours it makes it so you have to hustle a bit to do all you want. I guess I could always just decide that Saturday morning whether we're done or not.

3 day hoppers are $305 plus another day at $96 is $401 - an annual pass is $520..... If I were you I would skip the Disneyland Hotel (which is nice but not worth $400 a night in my opinion), buy an annual pass and then visit again in the next 12 months! That way you would get to visit twice for the price of one trip. :)

5 days in September will be lots of time to ride and re-ride all your favorite rides. We find we can do pretty much everything in 5 days during the busier times of the year. Have a great trip!

I love DLR and we've always had enough time with 3 day trips. I think five would be plenty. I've never felt we left stuff undone.

Yeah I thought with the shorter hours and early closing day we might feel rushed but we do have that entire day Friday with the extended hours so maybe it's more then enough. I never planned a Disneyland trip in the past because so many had told me the place had descended into an overcrowded mess. Kind of like what this article says: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opin...e-increase-crowds-letters-20140522-story.html

But after my Disneycruise last year I just can't get enough of Disney and I'm hoping in September crowding won't be an issue. Probably just stick to the plan on leaving Saturday or we can find another activity in the area there. Any suggestions?

If it were me, I'd stay over to Sunday and take a day off in the middle of the week. Five days in a row is exhausting. I prefer to have a day to relax, swim and shop in the middle.

On Saturday you can do rides in the early a.m., then switch to shows and entertainment with FP rides as they fit in for the afternoon and evening. There are many options available on the weekend that aren't during the weekdays during the off season.

I second this. This is our strategy for our late Sept.-early Oct. trip. Of course it was an easy decision for us since for some reason DL is closing at 6 on Wednesday that week. We have designated that DTD and hotel character meal day.

Personally, I wouldn't add a 6th day in the parks. Though I would possibly add a day or two for non-park days. Five days in a row in theme parks with a small child would be pretty exhausting.

I never planned a Disneyland trip in the past because so many had told me the place had descended into an overcrowded mess. Kind of like what this article says: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-disneyland-price-increase-crowds-letters-20140522-story.html But after my Disneycruise last year I just can't get enough of Disney and I'm hoping in September crowding won't be an issue. Probably just stick to the plan on leaving Saturday or we can find another activity in the area there. Any suggestions?

The Times piece you linked is not a news article. It's an opinion piece, written by someone who admits to NOT being a fan of Disneyland. I have never experienced the Disneyland this person describes, or the park that the very bitter other locals wrote about in their own comments.

1. CROWDS: DLR is the 2nd busiest theme park resorts in the U.S. It's always had crowds. But over the 7 days I visited the parks in two trips this summer, the crowds were no worse than any other summer days.

2. PRICES: Nobody is being forced to visit DLR. The demand justifies the pricing. Sure tickets are expensive. But so are tickets to sporting events and concerts. I'd argue that Disney provides much more value than most of these.

3. Disney-fication: Locals amuse me sometimes. The "Anaheim Resort" only exists because of Disneyland. And imagine what Orlando would be today if WDW didn't exist. Personally I can't wait to be an Orange County resident (in a little over 2 weeks). When I live there, I will appreciate the park Walt Disney gave the world, instead of taking it for granted.

For those planning a DLR vacation, don't let the haters scare you. Disneyland is as magical today as it ever was.

I couldn't even finish that drivel. I got to the part that says "Both are pricey, time-demanding commitments that feed off our hope for memorable euphoria but leave us wandering around, waiting for hours and exhausted. (But at least with golf, you can drink.) We return because we think the experience will be better than the last" and had to stop.

I don't wait hours for any 1 attraction. I don't wander aimlessly or anything like that. I get exhausted sometimes but that's because it's a lot of walking and I'm out of shape.

I love Disneyland. I was once a local and now I'm not. I have loved pretty much all 200+ visits. I feel a bit sad for the author of that piece.

You have five full days at DLR. That's more than enough time to see and do everything. No need to add another day. Plus, you won't be able to add a day to your tickets unless you upgrade to an Annual Passport or buy a separate ticket for Saturday.

Agreed - I think 5 days is plenty, especially if the extra day would be a Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter