Please remove this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're just "puffing" words, to make them sound more appetizing or special. Signature might also refer to their exclusive concoction, i.e., The Whopper is Burger King's "signature" burger. "Artisanal" generally refers to something that should have some kind of pedigree, like it's from a particular farm, it's a special blend, or the like, and, again, has come to be used as a filler word to make it sound better than just plain ol' ground beef. You might want to have some fun with your server (or chef) and ask what makes it so, and watch them squirm and come up with fancy-sounding answers.

I don’t know … my daughter’s university serves burgers that are a beef and mushroom blend. When I googled it, it looks like it’s not uncommon.

They're just "puffing" words, to make them sound more appetizing or special. Signature might also refer to their exclusive concoction, i.e., The Whopper is Burger King's "signature" burger. "Artisanal" generally refers to something that should have some kind of pedigree, like it's from a particular farm, it's a special blend, or the like, and, again, has come to be used as a filler word to make it sound better than just plain ol' ground beef. You might want to have some fun with your server (or chef) and ask what makes it so, and watch them squirm and come up with fancy-sounding answers.
This is very possible indeed, but it is equally possible that they are hiding something, I think asking what is in the blend is reasonable, for example let's say it contains pork and you will eat beef, but not pork for religious or dietary reasons, it would be reasonable to want to know this and Disney does hide pork in a lot of items without disclosing it.

This is very possible indeed, but it is equally possible that they are hiding something, I think asking what is in the blend is reasonable, for example let's say it contains pork and you will eat beef, but not pork for religious or dietary reasons, it would be reasonable to want to know this and Disney does hide pork in a lot of items without disclosing it.
What do they hide pork in? Unless it's something that always has pork, it's not really "hidden." No legitimate restaurant (including all at Disney) would hide pork in a beef patty and not disclose.

Has anyone confirmed the ingredients WDW uses in their "burgers" and other food products these days, such as meatballs? I have noticed that the menu does not call them "100% beef hamburgers." Instead WDW calls their menu item a " Signature Burger" at GF Cafe. Then menu then calls it, "An Artisanal 7-ounce patty." Is artisanal code for beef, pork, soybeans, something else?

It makes me think of fast places that offer "shakes" instead of "milkshakes" because they don't have real milk.

I noticed the vague wording on several WDW menus, and it caught my attention.

For example, The Paddock and Sassagoula Floatworks both offer a menu item called a, "Signature blend" burger" = what is the blend? A number of locations also use this same vague descriptor, so I am thinking WDW might be serving a similar food product in multiple locations.

I ask because I travel with someone who has food allergies. It is not as simple as stating a known allergy, because brands like Impossible burger use ingredients like soy protein concentrate and food starch modified. (Food starch can come from a number of sources). Bocoa Burger has cheese. Other brands use "Pea Protein."

If we don't know what we are being served, it is hard to prevent/track a food reaction.
Not sure why you don’t just ask to speak to the chef. If it were me, I’d say I have food allergies and would like to speak to the chef. Very common for those with allergies to do this. No need to make your server try and come up with an answer.

Has anyone confirmed the ingredients WDW uses in their "burgers" and other food products these days, such as meatballs? I have noticed that the menu does not call them "100% beef hamburgers." Instead WDW calls their menu item a " Signature Burger" at GF Cafe. Then menu then calls it, "An Artisanal 7-ounce patty." Is artisanal code for beef, pork, soybeans, something else?

It makes me think of fast places that offer "shakes" instead of "milkshakes" because they don't have real milk.

I noticed the vague wording on several WDW menus, and it caught my attention.

For example, The Paddock and Sassagoula Floatworks both offer a menu item called a, "Signature blend" burger" = what is the blend? A number of locations also use this same vague descriptor, so I am thinking WDW might be serving a similar food product in multiple locations.

I ask because I travel with someone who has food allergies. It is not as simple as stating a known allergy, because brands like Impossible burger use ingredients like soy protein concentrate and food starch modified. (Food starch can come from a number of sources). Bocoa Burger has cheese. Other brands use "Pea Protein."

If we don't know what we are being served, it is hard to prevent/track a food reaction.

From this page:

"Guests should contact Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com in advance if you or anyone in your party has either 4 or more allergy-friendly requests, requires pureed meals, or adheres to a medically-restrictive diet (such as very low protein).

Contact us after booking dining arrangements for your visit. We request that you don’t contact us any sooner than 14 days prior to your arrival. The Special Diets team will assist you in navigating the dining process, which may include providing the restaurants you intend to visit with your information and request in advance of your visit."

The person with the allergy(s) should reach out and discuss with them.

I don’t know … my daughter’s university serves burgers that are a beef and mushroom blend. When I googled it, it looks like it’s not uncommon.
Do they let the customer/student know there’s mushrooms? I’m highly allergic to mushrooms and it honestly would never occur to me to ask if there were any ‘shrooms in the burger meat…

What do they hide pork in? Unless it's something that always has pork, it's not really "hidden." No legitimate restaurant (including all at Disney) would hide pork in a beef patty and not disclose.
No, there have been several food festivals items (especially at Disney California Adventure) that you would not expect to have pork products, such as some Mac and cheese dishes where it wasn't listed and an ingredient.

Not saying they hide it in the burger meat, but just that if it says it is a blend, it is reasonable to want to know what it is a blend of in case something is hidden.

From this page:

"Guests should contact Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com in advance if you or anyone in your party has either 4 or more allergy-friendly requests, requires pureed meals, or adheres to a medically-restrictive diet (such as very low protein).

Contact us after booking dining arrangements for your visit. We request that you don’t contact us any sooner than 14 days prior to your arrival. The Special Diets team will assist you in navigating the dining process, which may include providing the restaurants you intend to visit with your information and request in advance of your visit."

The person with the allergy(s) should reach out and discuss with them.
And when you do contact them, all they say is to talk with them when you arrive at the restaurant.

Family with food allergies here. We tell them what we are allergic to and they have always given us the option of reading the actual label. So the concern you have to look for hidden items would be addressed. However, if you tell them you are allergic to those hidden items they will disclose it to you. So really not sure what the problem is that you are having and why you are providing all of the examples of hidden ingredients.

They try to be kind, so I don't want to knock WDW's chefs, but that isn't as simple as it sounds.

While the chefs are kind, they are usually very busy. They are trained in food prep, and are generally well trained in food prep, but they are not medical professionals. Most try to keep the conversation short and direct. They do not memorize the ingredients of every menu item WDW serves. Asking them to check on a product during the lunch rush is a big ask.

It also isn't easy to have an allergy at WDW because the allergen-free menus are often very limited. Looking quickly at just one menu, the AllStar Sports food court, folks with sesame allergies get 3 menu items: chicken strips, waffles, and Mac N' Cheese.

There is only 1 safe option listed for folks with a shellfish allergy: loaded potato barrels.
If you aren’t willing to ask when you get there, then your best bet is to bring your own food in. Telling you in advance is pretty useless, as ingredient could really change at any time.

And one doesn’t need to be a medical professional in order to give you or tell you a list of ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter