Please read the fine print before jumping to conclusions...

The problem is that most of the people here are speaking from experience or from the experience of people they know. You are welcome to post anything you like and we are allowed to call you on it. I can scour the internet and find a great review of Tauck for any negative review that you have found. The problem isn't the information you are posting it is your tone and attitude and your blatant attempts to steer people clear of any company other than ABD. With 16 posts, it is very suspicious about who you are and what your intentions really are. Sorry I am not buying into it. I have read your research but what you are not taking into account is what people want from a trip, not everyone is going to want all the activites that ABD offers some people might like the itineraries of other companies it is dependent on the people taking the trip.

I for one don't see you as providing information I see you as steering people towards ABD and away from other companies, in particular a company that many including myself have said they might book their next trip with. I
I totally agree with this.

Lillyteen, I have watched you, in the space of four weeks:

Go from totally freaking out over a hotel room that might not be clean enough for you, and trying to freak out other posters by quoting *one* review on Trip Advisor that listed one of the most fabulous hotels I've ever stayed in as having "bug problems", while totally ignoring the dozens and dozens of GLOWING reviews the hotel got; to:

Being ABD's biggest fan and trying to steer people away from other tour companies based on totally unsubstantiated reviews you "googled" from unknown sources.

I REALLY have to wonder, as such a new poster, with so few posts, what your real agenda is here? You're awfully opinionated & biased for someone who is just looking for some discussions on the pros & cons of various tour companies.

This obviously is just my opinion, but if you want to "discuss/compare/share" stuff like this on this board (where the rest of us are basing our discussions on personal experience and the experiences of our friends) then you should maybe re-examine your attitude & approach. We LOVE discussion here, but we prefer it to be constructive & based on fact.

I'm not trying to be mean here. Honestly. You asked and I'm giving you my opinion. I apologize in advance if it seems harsh to you, but I don't know how else to say it.

Sayhello

I noticed with Tauck if you arrive early or leave later than the tour they will not provide transportation to or from the airport on those early or later days. Yet reading ABD it seems that they will, at least in some instances any way. Am I understanding that correctly?
I was looking at the Ireland Trip in 2010 and I'd love to fly in a day early and leave a day later but was worried about the transfers between the hotel and airport.

We arrived a day early for our Quest for the West and we had to arrange and pay for our own transportation that day from the airport to Jackson Hole.

TK

I've tried to be upbeat on this Dis board--and I also believe there is still lurking hostility out there, which is sometimes unfairly aimed! (And sometimes, the issue is fair game--and I cite to my own recent little tiff with the mysterious DisneyGuy). But I don't care--these boards are great for useful tips and information, and may be good for letting off frustration or passing along constructive criticism. I have no connections to Disney--other than being an admitted fan (heck, my Grad Nite was at Disneyland, and I've grown up with that park). We love the cruises--and thought it quite the find to come across ABD. Our kids--now 9 and nearly 16--have been fortunate to go on various trips, not all with ABD--but honestly, those three trips with ABD all rank number one with us for comfort, sights, entertainment and new friends. So I am loyal, maybe to a fault--but not blind, nor ignorant, nor without opinion nor am I always right. But...maybe we can all agree that the ABD product has been great to date, hope this ship that seems tilted at the moment rights itself and more great adventure is to come. More power to you if you find something even better! (There is plenty that is cheaper, that's for sure!). But I stand by my good opinion of the Disney company, and agree with others on this board that it should be assumed they are doing what they believe is best in a difficult economy, and that they have the wisdom to fix what needs fixing. Remember: say no do doom and gloom! Ta!

I've tried to be upbeat on this Dis board--and I also believe there is still lurking hostility out there, which is sometimes unfairly aimed! (And sometimes, the issue is fair game--and I cite to my own recent little tiff with the mysterious DisneyGuy). But I don't care--these boards are great for useful tips and information, and may be good for letting off frustration or passing along constructive criticism. I have no connections to Disney--other than being an admitted fan (heck, my Grad Nite was at Disneyland, and I've grown up with that park). We love the cruises--and thought it quite the find to come across ABD. Our kids--now 9 and nearly 16--have been fortunate to go on various trips, not all with ABD--but honestly, those three trips with ABD all rank number one with us for comfort, sights, entertainment and new friends. So I am loyal, maybe to a fault--but not blind, nor ignorant, nor without opinion nor am I always right. But...maybe we can all agree that the ABD product has been great to date, hope this ship that seems tilted at the moment rights itself and more great adventure is to come. More power to you if you find something even better! (There is plenty that is cheaper, that's for sure!). But I stand by my good opinion of the Disney company, and agree with others on this board that it should be assumed they are doing what they believe is best in a difficult economy, and that they have the wisdom to fix what needs fixing. Remember: say no do doom and gloom! Ta!

Please stop with the "doom and gloom" you are welcome to your opinons just as everyone else is and voicing my concerns and issues with ABD is not doom and gloom it is reality. I for one don't see the world through rose colored glasses and appreciate the honesty of the people who go on these trips. I don't think a posting a negative experience is doom and gloom, it is honesty and every person can make a decision on weather or not to take the experience for what they want. I am glad people post negative experiences, it helps me make descisons on my vacations.

Guess you missed the point--I too appreciate the trip reports, what to watch out for, what could be improved. I don't appreciate being taken out of context! I also believe in the positive--rose colored glasses is used to describe someone who won't see the world as it is. So that isn't apt to what I was talking about--and also, I would say I'm entitled to my opinion as well!

Wow..people are really getting mad at other people for expresing their opinions. Maybe we are taking out on each other our p'o'd ness at the new ABD dates/choices/prices?
Really..for every great review somewhere you can find a negative one somewhere else. That's why I like reviews here..they aren't from someone 'out there' or someone who is trying to get points at a review site..they are just Disney fans who share what they've seen or done. Yes, I take more seriously first hand experience, but so what if someone sees a bad report somewhere and reports it? Grain of salt.
Plus, I sure don't see as Doom and Gloom a concern about Disney shooting themselves in the foot doing things that are bad for the brand. I'm sure they had some reason for the high increases...they didn't just pull it out of a hat. After all the huge cancellations last year, maybe the higher prices will let them lock in a tour at a lower number and that's worth it to them. Again, I know the EBD caused alot of anger and confusion last year..remember that a very small percentage of people are as big planners or have as much knowledge as people on these boards. I still know people who go to Disney who have no clue that Magic Kingdom isn't in California and have never even heard of Fastpass.
But..I guess if this bombs in a spectacular fashion they will do something else. ABD has been around only a few years, so there's lots of reorganizing and focus they are still working out (this from a company that has been in the theme park business for almost 55 years and still dithers around with figuring out what nights to stay open late and what shows will be shown..yes, I know that is for proper planning for crowd levels, but it still drives the planner nuts.)

I've been lurking on the Disboard for a while and have enjoyed reading all the posts (good, bad and ugly). However, I feel compelled to share a few thoughts about the pros and cons between an AbD and Tauck tours.

A little background info....I have taken 4 AbD's (Spirit of America, Southwest Splendors, Enchanted China and Bella Italia). I have been on 2 Tauck tours including the one I am currently on (this is Day 5 of an 8-day Lakes of Michigan tours).

Pro's of AbD: Outstanding service from two AbD guides
Snacks provided while on the motorcoaches
Room gift and nice tour booklets

Pro's of Tauck: Selecting meals off the menu instead of a limited selection
Seat rotation on the motorcoaches
Lower costs of trips

Con's of AbD: Lack of apparent guest appreciation (pricing and elimination of EBD)
Limited meal choice

Con's of Tauck: One tour guide
Lack of personal attention (our guide did not offer to take any pictures of the guests)
Lack of special gifts or surprises (the itinerary was on one sheet of paper)

I'm trying to keep things brief, however, feel free to ask any questions you may have. By the way, that hasn't disuaded me from taking future AbD's. I am planning on taking the 2010 London/Paris and Alpine Magic AbD's back-to-back. There is just something magical about being on an AbD with wonderful guides and meeting other friendly travellers.

I am going to risk sounding rude so here it goes! Does the post below look suspect to anyone? DisFan09 are you sure that your not related to ABDlilly and lillyteen? Please convince me other wise!

I've been lurking on the Disboard for a while and have enjoyed reading all the posts (good, bad and ugly). However, I feel compelled to share a few thoughts about the pros and cons between an AbD and Tauck tours.

A little background info....I have taken 4 AbD's (Spirit of America, Southwest Splendors, Enchanted China and Bella Italia). I have been on 2 Tauck tours including the one I am currently on (this is Day 5 of an 8-day Lakes of Michigan tours).

Lower costs of trips

Con's of AbD: Lack of apparent guest appreciation (pricing and elimination of EBD)
Limited meal choice

Lack of personal attention (our guide did not offer to take any pictures of the guests)

I'm trying to keep things brief, however, feel free to ask any questions you may have. By the way, that hasn't disuaded me from taking future AbD's. I am planning on taking the 2010 London/Paris and Alpine Magic AbD's back-to-back. There is just something magical about being on an AbD with wonderful guides and meeting other friendly travellers.

I believe MOST of the posters on this board are accustomed to reading the fine print on any tour company's website concerning trip offerings. One thing I have learned on this board from posters as well as through my own ABD experience (Viva Italia 2008) is that each traveler is thoroughly familiar with the options/offerings/choices involved in planning their trip.

I am S-O-O-O disappointed with ABD this year, because my husband and I had decided we would do Flavors of France! We are not interested in another Italian adventure, even though Viva Italia was absolutely wonderful. But our future plans for Italy include Bed & Breakfasts in the Vicenza area in a couple of years. ABD gave us the confidence to go back there on our own.

We have looked at other Tour companies and have found some France tours that actually are more appealing to us than Flavors of France.

Since we cannot work with Disney this year (are not at all interested in Knights and Lights), does anyone here have any past experiences with Trafalgar Tours?

Thanks for any input. I know many of us are disappointed this year. Perhaps next year will be the year again for me and my husband. Otherwise, we will content ourselves with Italy, France, England, etc. etc in EPCOT !:rolleyes1

Lower costs of trips

Limited meal choice

I have a few questions. What does "seat rotation on the motorcoach" mean? They swivel or what? Or do you mean you are able to move around the bus and sit where you want. I've never known ABD to force you to sit in the same seat everyday or stop you from moving around the bus whenever you want.

Second question. You mentioned meeting other friendly travelers on the ABD tours. Aren't the Tauck travelers friendly?

Third question. Will the Tauck guide take your picture if you ask him to?

Fourth question. How many guests were there on your Tauck tours?

I am going to risk sounding rude so here it goes! Does the post below look suspect to anyone? DisFan09 are you sure that your not related to ABDlilly and lillyteen? Please convince me other wise!

HappyGrumpy, hopefully I can do the convincing. I know DisFan09 personally, having had the great pleasure of traveling with her on Bella Italia, and I'll be with her again in June 2010 for Knights and Lights. I don't know why it looked suspicious -- it was a fair comparison of two tour companies with an opinion of which she prefers.

You guys all know me here (or most do!) so I thought I'd be a good character witness! :)

Dotti

I've been lurking on the Disboard for a while and have enjoyed reading all the posts (good, bad and ugly). However, I feel compelled to share a few thoughts about the pros and cons between an AbD and Tauck tours....

Were your Tauck tours the regular tours or the Tauck Bridges? I ask because what really impressed me on the one ABD tour I've taken is the effort made by the guides to engage the kids and facilitate the formation of friendships. The reason I used a tour company was so that my son would have other kids with which to share the experience, so I'm curious if Tauck Bridges provides that same level of kid engagement (since they only have one guide, I'm inclined to think they don't/can't, but I'd like to hear from someone who has taken the tours). Thanks for any insight you can share.

No I'm not from ABD (but if they are in the market for a database administrator, I know where they can get one!!!).

I've never been on a Tauck trip (in fact the only other organized trip other than Enchanted China I've ever been on was Arizona River Runners which is SO a different kind of trip!!!) but I will be booking Italy this year (Rome-Tuscany-Venice) in July.

I'm glad we did China this year. With $1200 more a trip than we paid in 2009, we would never have been able to pay for that trip.

I am impressed with the number of pictures that the guides took (and with the number of opportunities to create picture situations that ABD created). Some of the pictures other places would probably have been able to create opportunities at, but others, I'm not so sure. And the guides took great care to make sure that everyone had copies of the pictures on their own cameras.

ABD didn't make us sit in specific seats on coaches, in fact there were times when we got off and were told we could leave stuff on the coach and when we got on other people had shoved our stuff off onto the floor and into the isle so they could have the seats we left our stuff in when we got off.

I don't know if Tauck or anyone else gives you snacks and water on the coaches, but ABD made VERY sure we always had water and even figured out that we liked cold water and made adjustments to not have room temperature water after the first few days.

I think without 2 guides, surprise rain storms would have been less camera friendly because there were frequently a trail of umbrellas from wherever to the coach so no one got wet, sometimes even when the rain wasn't very heavy.

I liked that our guides didn't use megaphones to irritate other tours (many tour guides in China seemed to be OVERLY fond of megaphones so they could be heard). I guess we probably should book with someone else so we have something to compare to, but I really like all of the care that ABD took.

I know that DD was NOT impressed with all the fish (hello... it's CHINA) but they did a good job making perfectly sure that she never had anything that had touched fish and it was a safe trip. There were times when the food choices were limited, but many of the meals were family style and there was a fairly wide array of choices.

Were your Tauck tours the regular tours or the Tauck Bridges? I ask because what really impressed me on the one ABD tour I've taken is the effort made by the guides to engage the kids and facilitate the formation of friendships. The reason I used a tour company was so that my son would have other kids with which to share the experience, so I'm curious if Tauck Bridges provides that same level of kid engagement (since they only have one guide, I'm inclined to think they don't/can't, but I'd like to hear from someone who has taken the tours). Thanks for any insight you can share.

Being the mother of an only child, I'm interested in this too. The interaction between the kids has been great on ABD trips. Although, I'm not sure that it requires any effort from anybody to make that happen. They mostly seem to bond on their own without any encouragement from guides or families. But the junior adventurers activities seem to solidify the bond.

ABD didn't make us sit in specific seats on coaches, in fact there were times when we got off and were told we could leave stuff on the coach and when we got on other people had shoved our stuff off onto the floor and into the isle so they could have the seats we left our stuff in when we got off.

How rude. People moved around on the ABD bus I was on as well, but no one shoved anyone's stuff onto the floor. I'd be pretty upset at the person that did that to my stuff.

No I'm not from ABD (but if they are in the market for a database administrator, I know where they can get one!!!).

I've never been on a Tauck trip (in fact the only other organized trip other than Enchanted China I've ever been on was Arizona River Runners which is SO a different kind of trip!!!) but I will be booking Italy this year (Rome-Tuscany-Venice) in July.

I'm glad we did China this year. With $1200 more a trip than we paid in 2009, we would never have been able to pay for that trip.

I am impressed with the number of pictures that the guides took (and with the number of opportunities to create picture situations that ABD created). Some of the pictures other places would probably have been able to create opportunities at, but others, I'm not so sure. And the guides took great care to make sure that everyone had copies of the pictures on their own cameras.

I don't know if Tauck or anyone else gives you snacks and water on the coaches, but ABD made VERY sure we always had water and even figured out that we liked cold water and made adjustments to not have room temperature water after the first few days.

I think without 2 guides, surprise rain storms would have been less camera friendly because there were frequently a trail of umbrellas from wherever to the coach so no one got wet, sometimes even when the rain wasn't very heavy.

I liked that our guides didn't use megaphones to irritate other tours (many tour guides in China seemed to be OVERLY fond of megaphones so they could be heard). I guess we probably should book with someone else so we have something to compare to, but I really like all of the care that ABD took.

I know that DD was NOT impressed with all the fish (hello... it's CHINA) but they did a good job making perfectly sure that she never had anything that had touched fish and it was a safe trip. There were times when the food choices were limited, but many of the meals were family style and there was a fairly wide array of choices.

On the Michigan Tauck tour that I am currently on (this is Day 6 of 8 days), there were no snacks offered during the motorcoach rides. Each seat had a water holder and there were bottles of Deja Blue water (room temperature) for us. The motorcoach rides we've had were not too long, an hour and a half at the most. Our tour director told us that based on past guest comments, they did not like long motorcoach rides.

To answer the other questions, this was not a Tauck Bridges tour. There are 44 of us on the tour, almost all are senior citizens. There is one 16 year old boy who is travelling with his grandmother. Other than he, my brother and I (both over 50 years old) are the next youngest. There is one couple who is celebrating their 47th wedding anniversary on our tour. :love:

Our tour director is pleasant enough but during the motorcoach rides, I found it a bit rude that while he was on the microphone talking to us, he sat in the stairwell area instead of standing and facing us. It's like listening to a radio instead of being on a tour. As for photo ops, we did one group shot while we were at Fort Mackinac. No other photos were done and surprisingly, only a handful of our fellow guests even had cameras. Compared to the 4 AbD's I've taken, this was definitely a different feel to the trip. Our AbD guides were very enthusiastic and friendly and it was the same when it came to taking pictures. They would offer to take your picture even before you had a chance to ask. And as a side note, when we sat in the motorcoach, we noticed that our tour director had a strong body odor. I tend to think that if there had been a second guide, that would have been pointed out to him. :scared1:

Hello my China buddy DisFan09

How does the current Tauck tour that you're on compare with the one that you previously took?

HappyGrumpy, hopefully I can do the convincing. I know DisFan09 personally, having had the great pleasure of traveling with her on Bella Italia, and I'll be with her again in June 2010 for Knights and Lights. I don't know why it looked suspicious -- it was a fair comparison of two tour companies with an opinion of which she prefers.

You guys all know me here (or most do!) so I thought I'd be a good character witness!

Dotti

Awesome!! Thanks for giving me a "witness" :goodvibes
Can get a Amen??:rotfl:

How rude. People moved around on the ABD bus I was on as well, but no one shoved anyone's stuff onto the floor. I'd be pretty upset at the person that did that to my stuff.
I so agree with this! That strikes me as really rude, too. On my SWS ABD, sometimes we sat in the same places, sometimes we switched around, but if there was stuff on a seat, people left it there & sat elsewhere. (The *least* you could do is put it on another seat -- although that's still rude -- but on the *FLOOR*??? I'd be pretty pissed!)

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter