~~Please read~~ Announcing a BIG idea! - NEW UPDATE p.8!

Penny,
The thread is becoming really long, which is great, but I'm starting to get concerned that you may post a significant update (like sign-up info. for certain events) and it will get lost in all the posts. Since I've already expressed our interest, it would be great to not have to read all the post, in order to not miss out. Would it be possible to post any need to know info. on seperate posts? Thanks, Tammy :)

I'm excited too :)

I think the biggest problem I'm facing right now is that Disney don't seem to share my sense of urgency,...I mean, don't they know that we want to know about everything, like...RIGHT NOW? LOL.

For them, 7 months is still a long way away for an event - in fact, whilst you can sign the contracts early, they don't even lock in the prices until 6 months prior. So...hard as it may be, we just have to be patient for a little bit :)

Tammy, don't worry - when the time comes I promise any significant information will be on a new thread and call as much attention to it as possible so that everyone sees it. I think the next step will be a proper 'expression of interest' type thing so I can get a clearer idea of numbers plus everyone's email address, that way I can set up a mailing list to make sure everyone is in the loop when the events are opened up and I can start taking deposits. As some events have a maximum capacity - should they get to a point and sell out then obviously I want to give everyone the same chance to book their place because it'll be first come first serve. I don't think it would be fair if someone couldn't get in to something simply because they missed the announcement or hadn't visited the boards for a few days.

I would love to try and squeeze this into our budget for 2005
we are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children (they will be 9 & 2 yrs)
not sure what adventures club is or if its okay for families with kids
illuminations dessert would be great
no HM dinner out of our budget and not for kids
character breakfast or meal would be great
keep the info coming
need some great room rates and ticket rates - fingers crossed. :earboy2:

Hi Luv2nascar!

I plan to get some further information out on both the Adventurers Club meet, and the Illuminations Dessert Party today, so that should help give you an idea about what each event will involve :)

Of course, with the release of the new ticket structure on Thursday it all makes sense now why my rep was probably being a little cagey with her responses!!!

Well, it looks like I may have to change my flight times!!! We arrive on Sat, the 18th, but would love to do the Adventurers Club on the 17th. We'll be at either BWV or BC. Booked at BWV but hoping to be able to switch to BC at the 7 month window later this month. I'ld love to be able to tack on those nights before and after BWV at someplace with a discounted rate. Keep us up to speed Penny. I wish I could tell my dd, 11, about all this. But, the trip is a huge secret. Guess I'll just have to be excited all by myself.

Thanks for doing all this work Penny. This is going to be so wonderful. We met a lot of nice DISers last week and would love to meet some more in June. So, anything you plan would be terrific!!

Er, Goofy4tink...aren't you already within your 7 month window? At least it is by math :)

Ok people - more details of the first event at Adventurer's Club event can be found here! - details of the Illuminations Dessert Party I hope to get up either later today or tomorrow. :)

This sounds like lots of fun! I'd love to do it. If we could pull it together there would be three of us, unless I could talk my sister and her family into going, too. Of course, sll would depend on snow days this year. If we have none, school gets out the 14th. The school calendar acutally allows for 4, so currently last day is 6/20. Will be able to plan more in March.

I know my husband wouldnt want ot attend. That ususally woudnt be a problem because I go to Disney without him frequently. Unfortunately that's Father's day weekend so I guess I wont be able to make it.

Adventurer's Club sounds great. There would be three of us: me, DD (14) and DD (10). My dad MAY be joining us for this trip and I think I could get him to join us for this, too.

Melanie

WebmasterPenny said:
Er, Goofy4tink...aren't you already within your 7 month window? At least it is by math :)

Oh @##@$^^*^%*#@!!!!! What a dummy. Thanks Penny. Looks like I'll be on the phone on Monday morning. Sheesh.

When will be be taking names/money for different events? Will it be before January? We are going to be gone for awhile in December, so I might not see postings during the last couple of weeks of the month.

Thanks for doing all of this, it sounds like fun!

P.S. Is there a limit on the AC event as to how many people they can take for a private party?

DJ

WOW, this is the greatest timing ever. Just a few weeks ago I talked to a couple of Disney brides about doing something like this - essentially a big party organized and jointly financed. Unfortunately they were not in a position to do something like this any time soon.
So seeing your idea really makes me happy!! I'd be super interested in this event. I was just married a few weeks ago at Disney and our wedding was at MGM after hours - the Tower of Terror. I think an after hours park even would be the most memorable given its rarity and the many possibilities.
Can I contact you to discuss, or should I just stay tuned?

WebmasterPenny said:
I will also go off and dig out the information I have on the Haunted Mansion dinner. Two things that stick in my mind about it as a reason I didn't actively pursue that idea in the first instance was a) It was expensive and b) It had quite a low people capacity - maybe a max of 70 people? (Hence the reason it was expensive) - I seem to recall it was a rather fancy menu though!

I am late late late to this thread - but the HM soundstage is no longer an option, it was shut down - I'm sending you a PM about it. My wedding was supposed to be held there but we were moved due to not being able to use that space anymore. I was told capacity was 60, not 70 btw.

Good luck Goofy4tink!

Hi DJ, yes - the Adventurers Club does have a maximum capacity, I'm afraid it only holds - <b>200 people</b>.

When I generally totted up the response figures to Project X (many people put their head count, but for those that didn't if they replied "we" I counted two, if they said "I" then I counted one - so there is room for it to grow even more) I comfortably counted over 200 people interested...now, I think it's safe to assume that some folks won't be interested in doing the AC event, but even at this very early stage I'd say <i>potentially</i> this event could 'sell out' extremely quickly due to the popularity of the venue.

With regards to registering and paying - later today I am going to start a proper thread explaining how people can 'Register their interest'. From there not only will I have a better idea of numbers and their breakdowns, but I will also be able to create a mailing list so that I can send updates via email as well as via the boards. You will be able to join this mailing list regardless of whether you publicly post or are even registered for the DIS boards so no need to worry about posting any personal details (about your family or your email address) if you don't want to.

With regards to payment...well, that's going to be the fun bit :rolleyes: When it comes to the crunch it I will require 2 payments.

1st, a fully refundable deposit - I anticipate needing something in the region of $15 per adult and $10 per child, per event. If we have the numbers to support a big park event, then that one may be a little more, depends on final cost. What with Christmas and New Year, well we all have stuff to keep us busy at that time don't we? Therefore I will open the events I can officially sometime at the beginning of January but I will give notice beforehand of when that will be. I have a plan on how we can do this fairly so as to have each request time-stamped, and then a period of grace given for everyone to get payment to me - it'll be a strictly first come-first served situation based on that time-stamp. Should we reach capacity on certain events, then we will also have a waitlist.

2nd, balance payment - once I get the deposits, I'll also have a final breakdown of numbers and then I can work out the exact price. I'll be requiring this around 1st of April 2005.

Now, why is this going to be 'fun' you ask? Well, because I do have a Paypal account, but I'm not a business - this means I'm extremely limited in the amount of funds I'm allowed to pass through the account each month - substantially less than what all these events will cost that's for sure. I've also heard some rather nasty scare stories about PP recently too where they freeze peoples accounts for months at the blink of an eye - with all the money involved (other peoples money at that) it makes me very leery indeed of using them. So, that means the preferred payment method will have to be by check and mailed to me the good old fashioned way! If anyone has a problem with that then I am prepared to consider Paypal as a back up option, but if people can do checks, then that will be nicer :)

As soon as we are able to get sufffient fixed number for each event I will pay the deposit myself in order to lock in our price and dates asap - regardless of whether I've actually received or cashed everyone's payment. That's my personal committment to the project, I'm prepared to pay up front and have you guys 'pay me back' - that's me putting my money where my mouth is ;)

Unfortunately due to the nature of the events, we can't have everyone making payment direct to Disney - because that would have really been my preferred option, cut myself out of the loop completely, but things just don't work that way. Though I'll ask if we can do that for the backstage tours as those are offered by the Disney Institute and are an 'off the shelf' option rather than our other tailor-made events.

WonderwomanDC, I got your PM, I'll be replying to you soon I promise :) I will check the status of the HM set with my rep and see what she says - how long before your wedding did they give you notice that you had to change to ToT? Hmmmm, I know how Disney are though - they have a nasty tendency to keep selling things even if it's unavailable with a view to thinking that the problem might be fixed or they can just move it somewhere else when the time comes. I'll see what she says...

Oh, and the capacity depends on what kind of dinner you have there - 60 people Buffet, 70 Table, 100 people Reception Style :)

That's all for now but keep watching this space!

well shoot. I just found out they moved our TKD tournament in Orlando to July, so looks like we won't make it. I just don't think I can go 2X that close together. Too bad, because if they stuck with the orgional dates we would have arrive on the June 16. I bet they are moving it because of Fathers day, or they couldn't get the venue they wanted.

Penny - you are so awesome! What great ideas...we will be there in June, a familiy of 3 (2 adults one 7 y/o). Everything sounds like fun! Maybe once it gets closer I'll see if there's interest in pin trading and a round of golf...or have you already thought of it? Do they still have pin trading where a princess shows up?

Thanks for doing this!!

Sorry to hear you can't make it after all Sha-lyn :(

Jennz, I have mini-golf on my list of 'places we could have a private party' because I know that's always fun for both kids and adults, I must admit I hadn't thought about adult golf though. With that many DIS'ers there at the same time I see no reason why something couldn't be co-ordinated if there was sufficient interest :)

I've never heard of the pin-trading with a princess thing before so don't know if they still have it - if they don't, well you know that as long as it's in a private room we can arrange our own princess...that's the beauty of Group Sales, if we are paying then we can have pretty much whatever we like (within reason, naturally!)

Just in case anyone has missed it, details of the Illuminations Dessert Party can now be found here.

And the official registering of interest thread is here.

We were trying to find some time to get more use out of our AP's and were thinking about going in March during our Spring Break....but maybe we could change that up to come down in June! The dessert party and an after close party sound very interesting!

Penny - the princess at the pin trading thing was probably about 1 1/2 years ago and it was at the Contemporary Resort on their Friday night pin trades, a different princess came for 4 weeks or something like that. We didn't make it so that's the best I can remember...there was no extra fee and it didn't require pre-registration, I do remember that...maybe someone else remembers this??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter