Please PRAY for this little boy, an uncomprehensible tragedy

I’ve heard of lawnmowers spitting out pebbles that struck and injured people before, but none so seriously.

So sad. The school should be responsible for their medical bills. Hopefully any money raise on the fundraising will go to the boy for his college or when he turns 21 to use it as he wishes.
My son cut his finger in wood shop. Needed a few stitches. School wanted us to claim it on our medical I said nope not going to do it. Get a letter in the mail where we had to pay the bill or they will f up our credit. Went to school to do have a little talk with the principal. Than the school insurance paid for it.

So sad. The school should be responsible for their medical bills. Hopefully any money raise on the fundraising will go to the boy for his college or when he turns 21 to use it as he wishes.
My son cut his finger in wood shop. Needed a few stitches. School wanted us to claim it on our medical I said nope not going to do it. Get a letter in the mail where we had to pay the bill or they will f up our credit. Went to school to do have a little talk with the principal. Than the school insurance paid for it.

Sounds like it was a city landscaper that was mowing, not a school one. If so, the family should be able to sue the city for compensation to cover medical bills and rehabilitation and possibly pain and suffering. I hope so at least.

When I was in high schools many years ago, the mower was across a 4 lane road mowing the football field. Something from the mower flew across the street and through our classroom window. The windows are Head high so it's lucky we were all seated.

So this is why Dad never allowed us to be in the yard when he was mowing. Makes sense now.
Same - I was never allowed out either.
But could they prove causation? Was it reasonably foreseeable? Perhaps a freak accident? Poor child.
Right? :rolleyes: But I guess you and I, being from another culture, don't jump right to the "who's getting sued" discussion as a matter of course. My thoughts are with the child and his family, as well as the landscaper who had absolutely no intention of hurting him. :sad1:

Right? :rolleyes: But I guess you and I, being from another culture, don't jump right to the "who's getting sued" discussion as a matter of course. My thoughts are with the child and his family, as well as the landscaper who had absolutely no intention of hurting him. :sad1:

I think why Americans jump to suing is because of the medical system here and the need to pay for care beyond what the families insurance will cover, if they have insurance. Hill-Burton helps in some cases, but not in all so go fund me and suing is often the only way to avoid bankruptcy and get needed care.

But could they prove causation? Was it reasonably foreseeable? Perhaps a freak accident? Poor child.
First step would be seeing if all safety devices originally installed on the mower were still installed at the time of the accident. Not sure what size mower this was, but I've seen large mowers with chains hanging down over the discharge chute, I assume to help "catch" projectiles shot out.

It may not be foreseeable that a piece of rebar would be caught up in the mower, but it's all but common knowledge that rocks & stones can shoot out causing damage.

I think why Americans jump to suing is because of the medical system here and the need to pay for care beyond what the families insurance will cover, if they have insurance. Hill-Burton helps in some cases, but not in all so go fund me and suing is often the only way to avoid bankruptcy and get needed care.
Suing wouldn't have crossed my mind, but you have a valid point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter