• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please let the "wonderful children" gods shine on us.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this, havent read through all the posts...but if you dont want to be around kids...dont go to Disney. Its a FAMILY centered vacation area. I'm all for adult only trips to Dis...and I would love to go one day just Dh and I, but you really cant go there expecting peace and quiet 24/7. The place was built for families.

Walt built it for all familes to enjoy. And not every family includes little children.

Also, I haven't seen anyone suggest that they want a totally child free vacation while at WDW. Rather, they would like someplace to sleep where they didn't have to worry about children running up and down the hallway. Or screaming in the pool at midnight.

I have no problem being around kids at my resort, even when I don't have any along with me. But I can understand people who don't want to be around kids 24/7, even on a Disney vacation.

No flames because i think the point has been made that your staying at a exceptionally kid friendly place so kids are expected. Anyways a couple months ago we stayed overnight in a Best Western we frequent by my mom (GreenField Village @ 150.00 a night) anyways little did we know there was some sort of Childrens Christian convention going on with 13000 youngsters converged on the town. The kids ran up and down the hall around 11 or so at night, we called the front desk and security made it stop immediately. HOWEVER, no sooner did the the kids get settled then the adults converged in the hallways to have loud loud conversations whooping it up til 3 am! The issue was discussed with management and they compensated us (which was really unexpected and kind) but it truly was the adults who were worse!

I have taken our 3 children to WDW many times and have also been on two amazing trips without children with my DH. I can understand what OP is saying. In Sept, with our kids this year, there were two adorable little girls in a room close to us who came out of their room at 6:30 a.m. waving noise tubes around and playing flutes as loud as they could. Nobody made an effort to stop them and it looked like there was very little supervision of these two at other times. That was the parents' fault and was very disrespectul of other guests. I was thankful it didn't happen on our sleep-in day :goodvibes.

I don't think WDW is only for kids, but of course you have to understand that there will be lots of kids there. Its too bad that not all parents care about respecting other people's needs, but its a sad truth. I hope that you have a stress free trip with lots of perfect little angels who despite their sweetness, stay away from you (unless you want them close, of course :goodvibes).

Just a comment from a "dopey, counting mom". Parents count in order to teach their children to stop, think, and try to change their actions. In the beginning, it takes some children time to adjust their behaviors. Sometimes parents are doing it wrong. Sometimes the kids don't care because they know there are no penalties when the parent gets to 3. It seems to me you are younger, and while you find this amusing (I probably did too when I was younger/uninformed :lmao:) they are TRYING to discipline their children. Just a gentle reminder...when a parent is counting/trying to modify their child's behavior, please try not to laugh/giggle/ joke when the child or parent are near. The child will think it is funny or a joke and the behavior that the parent (and obviously you ) want to change will just take that much longer. Just another perspective.:goodvibes
You are wrong/uninformed. I have done my child-raising.

If your children know you mean business, you won't have to count. They'll listen to you the first time without making you count first. You don't have to call their name 100 times or count to make them stop. Really. :lmao:

I know those people are trying to make the kids behave, I just get annoyed listening to them try and, like I said, would rather hear just the kid than the kid and the dopey mom.

But I also know that there are all kinds of people at WDW and won't be pulling my hair out over it. It's a minor and temporary annoyance and it isn't like those people are everywhere. I'll still have a fine time. :)

Just a comment from a "dopey, counting mom". Parents count in order to teach their children to stop, think, and try to change their actions. In the beginning, it takes some children time to adjust their behaviors. Sometimes parents are doing it wrong. Sometimes the kids don't care because they know there are no penalties when the parent gets to 3. It seems to me you are younger, and while you find this amusing (I probably did too when I was younger/uninformed :lmao:) they are TRYING to discipline their children. Just a gentle reminder...when a parent is counting/trying to modify their child's behavior, please try not to laugh/giggle/ joke when the child or parent are near. The child will think it is funny or a joke and the behavior that the parent (and obviously you ) want to change will just take that much longer. Just another perspective.:goodvibes

I understand where you are coming from but again, your teaching opportunity for your children should not interfere with the experiences of the other guests. Standing outside another guests door at 6:30 AM loudly announcing to your child "I am going to count to 3 and you had better be back here" is simply not okay in my book. It is unfortunate that you will have to bring the child in to your room and the guests closest to you will have to hear the reprimand that is due but better that then yelling down a hallway that early in the morning.

I have no problems with "counting parents" who actually DO something about the situation when they reach "3." It's the ones who get to 3, the kids are still out of control, and then they either start over with the counting or just sort of surrender.

I can't tell you how many times I'm in the grocery store or somewhere similar and a parent is all, "Johnny, stop that right now! I mean it! Stop it!" And it goes on and on and on and the parent does NOTHING to actually stop the behavior.

If your children know you mean business, you won't have to count. They'll listen to you the first time without making you count first. You don't have to call their name 100 times or count to make them stop. Really. :lmao:

I know those people are trying to make the kids behave, I just get annoyed listening to them try and, like I said, would rather hear just the kid than the kid and the dopey mom.

But I also know that there are all kinds of people at WDW and won't be pulling my hair out over it. It's a minor and temporary annoyance and it isn't like those people are everywhere. I'll still have a fine time. :)

Counting works very well for my children. It's funny everybody thinks their way of parenting is the best. The older generation thinks there kids turned out perfect from there great parenting skills.Sorry I know better:lmao:. It's not a competition were all trying to accomplish the same thing. I would never go to wdw if kids were annoying to me. There is so many great places to vacation without kids. Wdw is a family place. I love seeing all the families and laughing loud children having fun. Thats what makes disney so magical.

Yes of course they do but when you stay in a larger room you don't hear the outside noise. The villas are quieter than a room. Plus DVC children are very well behaved. :)

OKW and SSR are the two quietest resorts at Disney and I have stayed at all of them.

Yeah - those "timeshare" kids are far superior and better behaved than the regular $500 per night Grand Floridian resort kids. :rotfl2:

have you tried renting points from DVC members? check the DVC section on this board.

I beg to differ, I think it CAN BE designed to be relaxing. hubby and I find a trip to WDW VERY relaxing. we enjoy our trips, even though we go without children. and we enjoy the children we encounter. but there still is nothing wrong with teaching children to be considerate of others when passing other rooms. it might not be "adults only" (sleeping in) in those rooms. maybe it is a family, just like yours, who FINALLY got the 2 year old to take a nap, so mom can nap, too, and dad can take the older kids to the pool?

this is just funny. nuf said on that.;)[/QUOTE]

Come on, those kids parents' prepaid their vacations by financing a timeshare. They MUST be well behaved. :rotfl2:

Walt built it for all familes to enjoy. And not every family includes little children.

Also, I haven't seen anyone suggest that they want a totally child free vacation while at WDW. Rather, they would like someplace to sleep where they didn't have to worry about children running up and down the hallway. Or screaming in the pool at midnight.

I have no problem being around kids at my resort, even when I don't have any along with me. But I can understand people who don't want to be around kids 24/7, even on a Disney vacation.

Going to disney is a privledge not a right. If you don't like screaming kids maybe you shouldn't go to disney. It's your choice

Yeah - those "timeshare" kids are far superior and better behaved than the regular $500 per night Grand Floridian resort kids. :rotfl2:[HAHAHAHA, sorry I just had to comment here, $500 and up. I must say that DVC attitude is the most absurd. I personally know DVC members and the kids are no better behaved than any other. lmbo

However, I can understand wanting an adult friendly hotel. There is a perfect one in Cancun. I cant see WDW ever seeing profit there. But who knows, one day we may have an Adventures Resort in DTD, lol... Now, how interesting would that be? lol As popular as the club was ( I never experienced it), a small Adventures Resort may boooooommm.....I think disney is magical with kids running around. Afterall, Isn't that when we all learned to love Mickey? As a child....I seem to run into WILD kids at most other locations I have ever visited. It just seems to be a part of life. Some settle down as they mature and others dont. Either way, We can find places to accomadate all our needs and we are all trying to raise our children, that which have different personalities, the best we can. Peace and Quiet is nice to have. At the present time, I dont know if WDW has a sure solution for guaranteed peace or quietness. Hope you do have a Magical Time and Hope all your dreams come true. Afterall, Thats why we are all in Disney!! Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!!!

I agree with the OP, it's so nice not to hear children running down the hall out of control. We have been lucky so far staying at SSR, that we have had peaceful vacations. I will say that several years ago, we did stay at ASMU and I was a nervous wreck;) I was prepared for all the children but what I wasn't prepared for were the unsupervised children. I'm a teacher and seeing children running around the pool, down the hallways and around the food court with no visible adult in charge just made me so nervous just couldn't relax. Could happen at any resort but just more visible at the values. In fact, we almost booked a night at a value on our next trip because we're arriving late, but my DH said that he didn't want me to stress out over the kids on our vacation when they're not OUR kids:)

Personally, We are Grand Floridian and Poly loyalists. We just dont like to stay anywhere else. Some others commented on extra rowdy children there, however, we have never noticed any problems. Maybe that is why I cant relate well. Both resorts have always been rather peaceful. We have stayed at a Value resort before (ASM) because we arrived early and couldnt add a night to our package. I must agree, it was "busier". I never said " l like children running in the hallways", or anywhere else for that matter, and parents should never allow such to happen. All I meant, Sometimes even the best of kids get overly excited and lose control of their manners. So, If my family happens to be staying next to any of my fellow DISers and my DS6, DD13, DD17, or DH happens to get out of control because its Mickey time~ I want to apologize now. We aren't notorious for those things but you just never know. I dont want you guys upset with me, Afterall, I will have my lime green Mickey head on. You will know Im a DISer (talk about embarrassed) and you are allowed to call my family on it. lol Those kids and that youthful DH of mine would just be shocked if one of you told them to settle down, hahahaha.....I would laugh!!! :rotfl2: Afterall, you can't have enough eyes on your family. :thumbsup2

I was very surprised to find that after raising your children, you would still find it amusing to joke about people trying to work with their children. My children KNOW I mean business. The parenting method of "counting" is CERTAINLY not for all, but is VERY popular not only with parents, but with teachers as well (albeit on a different scale). It is designed to teach the child to stop, think, and change the behavior on their own. I certainly do not think it is appropriate to do this in the hotel halls early/late or in restaurants. In the parks during the day....absolutely appropriate. It teaches the children that even in this exciting atmosphere, there are limits/rules. Unfortunately, this annoys you. There are many behaviors that "annoy" me also (ie: name-calling by adults and lack of empathy for parents who are trying to work with their children). Luckily, Disney is a big place, so hopefully you don't encounter this too much. On a last note, I am glad you are able to have fine time. :goodvibes.

I agree
Not to worry it was an inside joke.

If you really meant that comment, it still doesn't apply. You could actually look at it the other way. You shouldn't bring your screaming kids to Disney, becasue it is not a right.

And going to Disney is not a right. It is a privildge for those who can afford to pay for it. No one is entitled to go, just as no one is entitled to fly without being screened. (In case anyone is wondering, that is the argument padawans has decided to bring over here from the transportation board, and the cause of her not so funny comment)

I understand where you are coming from but again, your teaching opportunity for your children should not interfere with the experiences of the other guests. Standing outside another guests door at 6:30 AM loudly announcing to your child "I am going to count to 3 and you had better be back here" is simply not okay in my book. It is unfortunate that you will have to bring the child in to your room and the guests closest to you will have to hear the reprimand that is due but better that then yelling down a hallway that early in the morning.

I totally agree with you. I certainly would not EVER consider doing this in the hallways early/late or in restaurants. That being said, the parks are certainly an acceptable area IMO. My children have pretty much grown out of that stage (okay...maybe not the 12DD :lmao:) but I still remember and feel for those parents who are trying. I know this is a forum for discussion, but I still feel we shouldn't be calling parents "dopey" for trying. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter