Please help with my planning

dismichelle

Mouseketeer
I have no clue as of where to start. This is our first trip to WDW ever.

Last summer, hubby was diagnosed with a rare spinal disease similar to multiple sclerosis. He was in a wheelchair for a couple months, but has miracously gotten to the point where he can walk mostly unassisted.

Since he's doing much better, we've decided to take this "disease break" and go to Disney World. The trip is planned for October, and even though we and the doctors have no clue as to what his condition will be at that time, we're planning it to the point where he is today.

Now the hard part, it's me, DH, two preteens, one-year old, and a two-year old. We're looking at renting points for DVC to get a villa. Which villa to choose?

We were pretty set on AKL, but have been reading that since BLT is on the monorail, it may be the easiest.

Basically what I'm looking for is the best place to stay so that hubby and the baby will be able to go back to the room mid-day to take a break and get away from the sun for a bit. At the point he's at now, he could probably use a wheelchair for someplace as big as Disney, but I know he would refuse to do that.

Also, do the bus stops have a place to sit and rest while waiting for the bus.

What would be the best situation for him to possibly push baby in a stroller to get back to the room by himself? or would that not be feasible and we'd all need to go back to help him out, and kind of "drop him off" there?

Thanks for any help.

My advice would be to look at what park you plan to spend the most time at and stay close to that park.
If it's going to be MK, Bay Lake Tower would be a good choice. Besides the monorail, you can also walk to MK from the Contemporary.

If you plan to spend the most time at Epcot or the Studio, then Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas would be a better choice. They are just a short boat ride away from both of those parks.

Even though he doesn't want to use a wheelchair, he needs to think about what would conserve his energy. Using a wheelchair or ECV to get around would help him to save his energy for having fun instead of just getting around. It is VERY easy to do more than you planned. Most people walk between 4 and 7 miles a day at WDW. But, it's not all at one time. You walk for a bit, then sit for a show, then stand, walk some more. If you just started out in the morning walking and walked until you had gone that distance, you would feel more tired. But, since you are walking in small bits during the course of the day, it feels like less. It may not catch up to you for several days.

First congratulations on your first trip to the world. I would highly recommend renting an ECV WDW is so big just getting to Magic Kingdom from the transportation ticket center is a lot of walking. The worst thing I did was hold off too long renting one. I was making the trip miserable for everyone. Once I rented one I could never go back

I too think an ECV would be best for him for in the parks. A wheelchair would be tough for him to use unless one of the older kids are going to push him. I don't know how easy it will be there for him to take the youngest and go back to the room by himself. If he has to take a bus then he will have to either carry the child the full way to the bus or push the stroller and then hold the child and fold up the stroller and get it and child on and off the bus. That is hard for a healthy person let alone someone who has health problems.

I too think an ECV would be best for him for in the parks. A wheelchair would be tough for him to use unless one of the older kids are going to push him. I don't know how easy it will be there for him to take the youngest and go back to the room by himself. If he has to take a bus then he will have to either carry the child the full way to the bus or push the stroller and then hold the child and fold up the stroller and get it and child on and off the bus. That is hard for a healthy person let alone someone who has health problems.

Well, we've never been, so we don't/didn't know the whole setup or ease of use on the buses. I'm thinking it will probably be best for all of us to go back to the room for a mid-afternoon break/rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter