Please help with DHS issue

abbyandangel

Mouseketeer
I am asking here instead of transportation because this will be part of our DHS strategy. My DH absolutely refuses to take the bus so we drive from our resort. He says it goes back to spending 29 hours on a bus while in the military. Last trip we arrived a few minutes before the parking lot opened and were made to turn around. By the time we got back we wasted a lot of time. Timing the arrival perfectly is unlikely. Anyone have a strategy for this scenario? I am wondering if DD and I could get out at the turnaround and walk since it is so close to where the trams used to run. We would get to the park faster than he could turn around and park. She is a teen with a medical device so she has to be wanded every time which also eats up time. I know the problem would be solved if he would get on the bus but that won’t happen.

I am not sure why I can’t make this go away. My whole day has gone this way. Should have stayed in bed. Instead my iPad is making me respond to myself. >:(

Last edited:
Your DH probably won't like my answer, but I'd tell him to get over it and get on the bus for the sake of you and your daughter on your DHS day and move on. Or threaten to serve him S.O.S. aka Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast. ;)

One morning I pulled off to the shoulder near one of the ramps leading up to the DHS entrance a few minutes before opening. Others were doing the same. The parking lot opened at 7 that day and when the clock struck 7 all of us merged back on to the road.

I am asking here instead of transportation because this will be part of our DHS strategy. My DH absolutely refuses to take the bus so we drive from our resort. He says it goes back to spending 29 hours on a bus while in the military. Last trip we arrived a few minutes before the parking lot opened and were made to turn around. By the time we got back we wasted a lot of time. Timing the arrival perfectly is unlikely. Anyone have a strategy for this scenario? I am wondering if DD and I could get out at the turnaround and walk since it is so close to where the trams used to run. We would get to the park faster than he could turn around and park. She is a teen with a medical device so she has to be wanded every time which also eats up time. I know the problem would be solved if he would get on the bus but that won’t happen.
Were you there over an hour before early entry time? Arriving an hour ahead should be plenty of time for early entry. Or you and DD take the bus and let him drive and catch up with you in line.

We hate the bus too. We have hit this too. I don't think getting out there is a good idea. I don't know if there's an easy way to walk across the road and then all of the parking lots. There's also a creek between that road with the toll gates and the parking lot. It's also a long walk. You could be dropped off near the Speedway by Boardwalk Inn or near the Swolphin road entrance.

One morning I pulled off to the shoulder near one of the ramps leading up to the DHS entrance a few minutes before opening. Others were doing the same. The parking lot opened at 7 that day and when the clock struck 7 all of us merged back on to the road.
We have done that, but then police or security drove up to every car and made them all do the turn around. They said they wouldn't open the toll gates until the area was cleared of stationary cars.

Were you there over an hour before early entry time? Arriving an hour ahead should be plenty of time for early entry. Or you and DD take the bus and let him drive and catch up with you in line.
We were just a few minutes too early.

Minnie van? Which resort are you coming from...is the skyliner or boat an option?

You could park at Swolphin and walk over. It’s about $10 more than regular parking at the DHS lot. And there’s a chance the exit gate could be open when you leave and you wouldn’t have to pay at all (I have seen that happen!)

We drive everwhere most time because my whole family hates the bus especially in the morning when your crammed in there like sardines. Even if you get to the parking lot 20 minutes before park opens your still one of the first in the park. Maybe I'm over simplifying it but just plan better. There's no need to get there over an hour before the park lot opens.

Why not just leave 60-65 before the park opens? It takes about 10 minutes to get to DHS and that gets you there after they’ve opened parking but in plenty of time for rope drop.

What if you and DD took the bus and DH drove himself and met you there. We are just back from FQ and found the buses to be great. We were at the stop by 7:10am (right after booking Genie+) for the 8:30 Extra Hours and not once did we have a packed to the gills bus.

Your DH probably won't like my answer, but I'd tell him to get over it and get on the bus for the sake of you and your daughter on your DHS day and move on. Or threaten to serve him S.O.S. aka Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast. ;)
I can't comment on parking. I just wanted to add that I really like S.O.S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter