Please help the wife of a football junkie

With youtube tv he could watch the game after you were done for the day and not miss a thing. I’m a big Bama fan and rarely miss a game, and many I don’t watch live because of other plans -I just turn off notifications so I don’t get the score. Good luck!

You didn't miss anything. I got the day wrong. It's the 28th not the 29th.
When I asked him what time the game starts he gave me our local Pacific time, not Eastern.
We actually have to be at Epcot at 9 pm because we got the Illuminations dining package. And after all that money we are going to eat that dinner no matter what.
So, we'll probably head over to ESPN to eat a light meal around 2:30 and he'll go back to the room at halftime to watch the rest and meet us back at Epcot after.
We're pretty good at compromise. We enjoy making the other happy. Although, I got a week at Disney and he got one game so I think I made out better on this one! Lol.
I can completely relate. We were at WDW when our NFL team was in the playoffs so, understandably, watching the game was a must. We tried ESPN and the wait was absurd so we walked down the boardwalk to Big River Grille and were able to find a good table to watch the game. (Of course, we lost the game but sadly as Vikings fans, we’re used to that disappointment :sad:).

Big River Grille might be a good Plan B for you just in case.

For non sports fans, I know it seems crazy that he "needs" to watch a football game while we're on vacation but he truly loves college football. He played in college and was born and raised in South Bend (where Notre Dame plays) it's in his blood and I don't mind it. It's kind of cute actually. To be honest, I was surprised he agreed to go during the season. He's missing all the other games so I don't mind him watching this one.

Not crazy to me, my husband is a diehard Eagles fan....I don't mind taking a break and watching the game for a little bit, we always enjoy the ESPN Club!

For non sports fans, I know it seems crazy that he "needs" to watch a football game while we're on vacation but he truly loves college football. He played in college and was born and raised in South Bend (where Notre Dame plays) it's in his blood and I don't mind it. It's kind of cute actually. To be honest, I was surprised he agreed to go during the season. He's missing all the other games so I don't mind him watching this one.

My dad was a groomsman in my mother's cousin's wedding. He wore an ear piece to listen to the ND game (cousin was a ND grad and son of a ND grad who scheduled his own wedding during a game and really should have known better). My dad is also not known for his reserved reactions to sporting events so I'm sure it was quite the sight. At another wedding (same family) my mom was trying to get my dad and her brothers out of the bar where they were watching the ND game by saying the priest was ready to give the blessing. At which point the priest turned around and informed her it would wait until after that set of downs.

Needless to say, I had an off season wedding.

Glad you were able to work out a compromise!

Can’t he just record the game and watch it on phone or iPad that night?

I feel like that's blasphemy, you have to basically turn off all of your notifications, block your friends and everything so you don't accidentally find out the results.

I really don't think you are going to have any trouble getting into ESPN. I would just show up 45 - 60 minutes prior to the game.

I totally get it. We are a basketball family - NBA, WNBA, NCAA. We were in WDW during March Madness and certain games became part of our daily schedule. We ate in the bluezoo lounge one night and they had three different games going - I thought my DS's head was going to explode with excitement. As I mentioned, we watched the NBA All-Star skills challenges at ESPN this year - it's just a super fun place to watch a game! Honestly, it became part of the fun at WDW!

I totally get it, being a Notre Dame fan. Hope it all works out. My husband would be with him for sure.

I would just go to ESPN. They take mostly walk-ups anyways and even if you have to wait a few minutes for a table, he can stand at the bar to watch while you wait. You will waste SO much time in travel to/from Disney Springs that I would opt for even a super long wait at ESPN before I throw away all that travel time.

Food is better at Splitsville but it's a hassle, esp on a weekend.

They get really busy on game days and get booked up. They have people standing outside watching a TV out on the patio. There is no walk up during popular games.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had no idea ESPN might do VIP seating. I just read my husband all comments and we have a game plan. Lol, see what I did there?

I'm going to call tomorrow and see about the VIP seating. If that doesn't work out, we're going to walk over to ESPN and see about a walk in and wait at the bar or probably outside, since we'll have our two boys, 16 and 12. I have both reservation finders set up so fingers crossed that works out. Worst case, he'll get an uber back to the room to watch and join us later.

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to be watching the whole game. The oldest will probably stay and watch the game. It's 50/50 with the youngest but either way I'll probably be heading back to Epcot after we eat. Those shops in Epcot are calling my name!
Did you ever end up getting a hold of someone at ESPN Club? I've tried calling many times over the last couple weeks and the phone just rings and rings. I was interested in doing the premium seating on Sunday, November 17th when we're in WDW. We go home that evening, so we will have had to check out already, but we're staying at the Yacht Club and I'm trying to come up with a good option for my husband who is a total NFL junkie - he watches football all day every Sunday - the first time we went to Disneyland together, on our Universal Studios day he was doing multiple fantasy drafts throughout the day which proved to be difficult (for him, not me, lol - we still did everything we planned to do).

We gone multiple times during football season and my husband is pretty die hard, too. So we compromise...he streams it on his phone while in the parks....better than nothing! (And he’s only moderately distracted, not enough to hurt my feelings, though)

OP chances are it could also be on the TVs at your resort's pool bar. In case he wants to be outside and your son(s) can also use the pool.

Did you ever end up getting a hold of someone at ESPN Club? I've tried calling many times over the last couple weeks and the phone just rings and rings. I was interested in doing the premium seating on Sunday, November 17th when we're in WDW. We go home that evening, so we will have had to check out already, but we're staying at the Yacht Club and I'm trying to come up with a good option for my husband who is a total NFL junkie - he watches football all day every Sunday - the first time we went to Disneyland together, on our Universal Studios day he was doing multiple fantasy drafts throughout the day which proved to be difficult (for him, not me, lol - we still did everything we planned to do).

I would not bother with trying to book the premium seating. I called and booked it for the NBA, All-Star Skills challenge this past Feb. When we arrived, they made us wait and wait and then, when they seated us, they weren't even playing the skills challenge (even though the ESPN staff member on the phone said that, by booking the premium seats, they would program whatever we wanted on the screen). It was really a mess and, apparently, the staff and actual game programmers don't really communicate with each other. About two minutes before the start of the challenge, they re-seated us near the bar and put our program on. If you arrive early at ESPN, just get a table or sit at the bar.

I would not bother with trying to book the premium seating. I called and booked it for the NBA, All-Star Skills challenge this past Feb. When we arrived, they made us wait and wait and then, when they seated us, they weren't even playing the skills challenge (even though the ESPN staff member on the phone said that, by booking the premium seats, they would program whatever we wanted on the screen). It was really a mess and, apparently, the staff and actual game programmers don't really communicate with each other. About two minutes before the start of the challenge, they re-seated us near the bar and put our program on. If you arrive early at ESPN, just get a table or sit at the bar.
That is very good information to have - I will stop trying to book it then! Super helpful! Thank you!

Right now the plan is to go back to the room. He can watch the game while the boys and I swim. We switched to AKL so I think we'll be able to find a lot of stuff to do. After the game we'll all eat at Boma. He's saying that if the boys want to stay at Epcot we can all stay and he'll just watch the game the best he can on his phone. My DH doesn't really like Epcot and we both think the boys might be ready to swim by then but we'll see how it goes.
He honestly just loves college football. I knew that going in and for the most part I'm good with it. It makes him happy and I love him so I want him to be happy. If we lose a few hours at epcot it's not going to effect our vacation.
He's not as into Disney as I am and he let me drag him to D23 opening weekend of football so he does his share of giving in too, lol.

Right now the plan is to go back to the room. He can watch the game while the boys and I swim. We switched to AKL so I think we'll be able to find a lot of stuff to do. After the game we'll all eat at Boma. He's saying that if the boys want to stay at Epcot we can all stay and he'll just watch the game the best he can on his phone. My DH doesn't really like Epcot and we both think the boys might be ready to swim by then but we'll see how it goes.
He honestly just loves college football. I knew that going in and for the most part I'm good with it. It makes him happy and I love him so I want him to be happy. If we lose a few hours at epcot it's not going to effect our vacation.
He's not as into Disney as I am and he let me drag him to D23 opening weekend of football so he does his share of giving in too, lol.
Nothing wrong with a good mid day break. We just got back from Disneyland and it was like 90 - 100 every day. We were staying at the Grand Californian so we took 3 - 4 hours in the middle of the day at the hotel each day and we felt so refreshed afterwards. We also didn’t feel like we missed out on anything those few hours being away from the park. Nothing says you need to be at the parks from rope drop to close every day to have a great Disney trip (I actually think many people would do better with a break). Also no one can judge your husband for loving football and having that be important to him - how hypocritical given I’m sure most of us Disney fans have done our share of explaining why we’re so into Disney. Not fair to judge what’s important to someone else. I think it’s nice you both support each other’s interests - that’s what you should do in a marriage. Just wanted to throw some nice words your way because it seems like you’ve spent a lot of time defending this on this thread.

Everyone enjoys life differently, but I do not get this at all. My wife and I LOVE college football and this year will mark the second year in a row we are missing a game while at Disney. Not once have we thought about leaving the parks to watch a game. Last year we just kept up on twitter while in lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter