Please help the wife of a football junkie

Shellbells

DIS Veteran
Our only Epcot day will be on Sept. 29th.
Ahhh, food and wine and a multitude of yummy dining choices. So where are going to eat lunch you ask?
Drum roll please!!!

Splitsville! So yeah, that's apparently happening. My husband is a HUGE Notre Dame college football fan. He agreed to miss the 1st half of the game but insists we go somewhere for lunch to watch the 2nd half.
I cant get an ADR at ESPN club so this was the only place I could think of.
Please tell me there is a better alternative. I've heard the food is good. That's not really my issue. We'll be going back to Epcot after our -long- lunch. I'd just rather have somewhere closer to Epcot that also has good food.

Ok, the truth is, I'd rather have mediocre food and closer to Epcot.

Any suggestions?

You could definitely try to just wait at ESPN.....Saturdays (from what I have experienced) is not nearly as crowded as a Football Sunday.... plus they have TV's outside playing games as well while you wait. Just a thought, but I would stick around the Epcot area rather than head down to Splitsville. You could always separate and leave your husband to head to ESPN alone.....:rolleyes1

You’re lucky he’s agreeing to miss the first half my husband would NEVER do that! So I’m sympathetic lol. Im heading into a spin class I will think about this some more...

I would imagine the beerworks place there has TVs why can’t I remember the name of it...is it big river grille?

Rose and Crown Pub seems like it would have TV and that’s in Epcot.

So you used to be able to sign up for ESPN club and make ressies when other people couldn’t. I used to do this for the NYC location I would check on that. Also check if they are on opentable.

Should you look at the bottm of the Disney site page looks like a reference to the club @babyruth mentioned is there:

"The ESPN Club accepts premium seating reservations, which guarantee placement with a minimum food and beverage requirement. Please call (407) 939-5656 for details. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call."

You’re lucky he’s agreeing to miss the first half my husband would NEVER do that! So I’m sympathetic lol. Im heading into a spin class I will think about this some more...

I would imagine the beerworks place there has TVs why can’t I remember the name of it...is it big river grille?

So you used to be able to sign up for ESPN club and make ressies when other people couldn’t. I used to do this for the NYC location I would check on that. Also check if they are on opentable.
No. There are no TVs in Rose & Crown or any place inEpcot

Big River Grille has TVs, Rose and Crown does not.

ESPN used to do reservations for specific football games, but I don't believe they do so any longer.

I would suggest Crew's Cup or Ale & Compass Lounge at Yacht Club - both have TVs and really great menus. Notre Dame should be a national game, so it won't be a problem getting them to put it on for you (it might already be on TV). Hurricane Hanna's at Stormalong Bay (outside the pool fence) also has two TVs and shows sports. I enjoy the food there as well, and I love sitting outside to watch sports.

Phins - the lobby bar at the Dolphin - is another option.

Also, sometimes the Atlantic Dance club at Boardwalk will show football games - but does not offer food service.

Last edited:

I would just go to ESPN. They take mostly walk-ups anyways and even if you have to wait a few minutes for a table, he can stand at the bar to watch while you wait. You will waste SO much time in travel to/from Disney Springs that I would opt for even a super long wait at ESPN before I throw away all that travel time.

Food is better at Splitsville but it's a hassle, esp on a weekend.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to espn on a weekend? It’s a whole different animal. They sell football viewing packages w food and beverage minimums.

I know I can record anything on my home dvr and watch it on my ipad. I guess I just don’t get interrupting a family vacation to watch a game.

If you choose to go to DS using Disney transportation allow 60 minutes each way. Plus eating time and game time. So what? 3 or 4 hours?

Do take the bus from BC both ways. Or even better, uber/lyft. That will cut some travel time.

I agree with the PP's. Just go to ESPN. I would arrive about 45 - 60 minutes prior to the game and put your name on their list. You can also just go to the bar if there aren't any tables available.

Don't call for the "premium table" package. I did that for the NBA All-Star game and they messed it up completely (turns out the person who took the reservation never told the programmers what to put on the TV for the premium table and they couldn't change it). They ended up making it right, but it wasn't worth calling and booking that package. I think the language for the package on the WDW site is out-of-date at this point.

Big River Grille has TVs, Rose and Crown does not.

ESPN used to do reservations for specific football games, but I don't believe they do so any longer.

I would suggest Crew's Cup or Ale & Compass Lounge at Yacht Club - both have TVs and really great menus. Notre Dame should be a national game, so it won't be a problem getting them to put it on for you (it might already be on TV). Hurricane Hanna's at Stormalong Bay (outside the pool fence) also has two TVs and shows sports. I enjoy the food there as well, and I love sitting outside to watch sports.

Phins - the lobby bar at the Dolphin - is another option.

Also, sometimes the Atlantic Dance club at Boardwalk will show football games - but does not offer food service.
ESPN still takes reservations and a minimum is still enforced. Recently had to make one for our December trip in case husband’s team is making a playoff push. Perhaps OP can try to sit at the bar?

Crew’s Cup is a great lounge but doesn’t open until 5 pm. Martha’s Vineyard has a large TV but no sound I believe.

Should you look at the bottm of the Disney site page looks like a reference to the club @babyruth mentioned is there:

"The ESPN Club accepts premium seating reservations, which guarantee placement with a minimum food and beverage requirement. Please call (407) 939-5656 for details. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call."

100% just do this its not even that much food unless its changed recently. I think it was like $50-$75 when we went one time. Its a really short walk.

Can’t he just record the game and watch it on phone or iPad that night?

Possibly he will not be game for this but this is a great option because you can get better food than what ESPN has (normal chain bar food).

In the end watching Notre Dame lose would likely only bring down his day so he probably is better of skipping it hahaha.

Yeah, we'd be bringing in a battery pack for his phone, finding a comfy spot, a pair of earbuds and a cold beer ... and DH would be watching game on his phone in Epcot while I wandered, shopped, drank, ate ..... and checked in on him periodically.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had no idea ESPN might do VIP seating. I just read my husband all comments and we have a game plan. Lol, see what I did there?

I'm going to call tomorrow and see about the VIP seating. If that doesn't work out, we're going to walk over to ESPN and see about a walk in and wait at the bar or probably outside, since we'll have our two boys, 16 and 12. I have both reservation finders set up so fingers crossed that works out. Worst case, he'll get an uber back to the room to watch and join us later.

For non sports fans, I know it seems crazy that he "needs" to watch a football game while we're on vacation but he truly loves college football. He played in college and was born and raised in South Bend (where Notre Dame plays) it's in his blood and I don't mind it. It's kind of cute actually. To be honest, I was surprised he agreed to go during the season. He's missing all the other games so I don't mind him watching this one.

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to be watching the whole game. The oldest will probably stay and watch the game. It's 50/50 with the youngest but either way I'll probably be heading back to Epcot after we eat. Those shops in Epcot are calling my name!

Maybe I am missing something, but it looks like the game starts at 3:30 pm Eastern time... could you maybe eat an earlier lunch together at Epcot and let him go back to your resort room or one of the restaurants others have mentioned to watch the game since it doesn’t start until late afternoon anyway? (Or at least for the second half since you got him to agree to miss the first half!) ;)

Me and my hubby are both big college football fans, so we always plan some downtime at Disney to watch our teams play. One of my favorite Disney memories was hanging out in our Little Mermaid room at AoA eating pizza 🍕 and watching football together! 🏈 we made that our resort rest day and it was awesome! But I SO get that rest of your fam isn’t interested in wasting Disney time watching the game, so perhaps you could split up for a short time while he watches the 2nd half somewhere? Kudos on the compromise! You’re a good wife!

Maybe I am missing something, but it looks like the game starts at 3:30 pm Eastern time... could you maybe eat an earlier lunch together at Epcot and let him go back to your resort room or one of the restaurants others have mentioned to watch the game since it doesn’t start until late afternoon anyway? (Or at least for the second half since you got him to agree to miss the first half!) ;)

Me and my hubby are both big college football fans, so we always plan some downtime at Disney to watch our teams play. One of my favorite Disney memories was hanging out in our Little Mermaid room at AoA eating pizza 🍕 and watching football together! 🏈 we made that our resort rest day and it was awesome! But I SO get that rest of your fam isn’t interested in wasting Disney time watching the game, so perhaps you could split up for a short time while he watches the 2nd half somewhere? Kudos on the compromise! You’re a good wife!
You didn't miss anything. I got the day wrong. It's the 28th not the 29th.
When I asked him what time the game starts he gave me our local Pacific time, not Eastern.
We actually have to be at Epcot at 9 pm because we got the Illuminations dining package. And after all that money we are going to eat that dinner no matter what.
So, we'll probably head over to ESPN to eat a light meal around 2:30 and he'll go back to the room at halftime to watch the rest and meet us back at Epcot after.
We're pretty good at compromise. We enjoy making the other happy. Although, I got a week at Disney and he got one game so I think I made out better on this one! Lol.

I love compromises

Have him lyft or uber back to BC and go through the IG. Will save a ton of time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter