PLEASE HELP! Sick kid. Cruise leaves tomorrow.

DCLMOM13

Earning My Ears
First, I have DCL insurance.

We arrived here 2 days ago. On the 2nd leg of our flight my daughter started vomiting. We thought it was air sickness. She hasn't stopped vomiting for 2 days. We had disney send a medical person to our room last night. They said its a virus. She was looking Perkier and stopped vomiting yesterday around 11am. Slept all day. Now it's 1-2am and its started again.

No brainier our dream vacation of a lifetime is hooped. Cruise is not happening.

But now I'm freaking out. I just read DCL insurance and I am not sure we are covered. Apparently until 12:01 today (the trip. Departure date) if she was sick and seen by a medical professional it's now a pre-existing condition. Also imagine my shock to find out this insurance only covers costs for the cruise only. Not our flights,etc like a normal insurance company. I'm quite livid. I have saved 2 years for this $5000 vacation and only the $3200 cruise portion is covered, but with the legal fine print is it? I'm exhausted, crying, can't think straight. I'm stuck with a sick kid at a Disney resort in the middle of the night by myself.
What should I do? Am I going o lose all our hard earned money on this technicality? Any help from people who have been in this situation?

So sorry to hear that...poor little thing. :(

If you did not purchase your air through DCL, then sadly, it is not covered. Hopefully the airline will work with you on getting home for minimal cost.

As for your cruise, call DCL as soon as you know it is a no-go. You still make a claim with their insurer (s/b allianz). If you are denied, DCL will allow you to use your cruise rate towards another date.

Hang in there.. And best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

So I'm stuck in Florida with a sick child? What do I do? I'm at a deluxe resort but can't stay here longer budget wise. I can do 100 a night so o I have to move this sick kid to another resort? I'm alone and worried :(. Any words of encouragement out there? I am leaving the decision until 730am when we planned to get up. I can't believe DCL insurance has screwed me over. I thought they would cover everything. I'm really sad.

Am I best to get her to port and let them deny us and go from there? We have private transport so won't get ppl sick on a bus.

Hey is your little girl feeling this morning?
Has the vomiting stopped?

My heartbreaks for you both.

Hope she's feeling better and you have some answers. Things generally look better in the light of day. This is no help to you now but this is why I never buy insurance directly from any cruise line. Their insurance protects themselves and not the customer so much sometimes. Please let us know how things are today.

Fingers crossed for you. I hope you are able to go-even if you end up quarantined in your room it is better than not going.

Linda

Yeah 2 years of saving and screwed over by Disney. I thought they took care of their customers and apparently not. She just had a shower but feeling ill. No vomiting since 11am yesterday but very weak and nauseous. I just don't know what to do? Take her to port and get denied so insurance is easier? Limo is non refundable at this point byway.

Hope she's feeling better and you have some answers. Things generally look better in the light of day. This is no help to you now but this is why I never buy insurance directly from any cruise line. Their insurance protects themselves and not the customer so much sometimes. Please let us know how things are today.

I guess I have always had a false sense of security when I have purchased Disney Insurance.
Can you tell me who you choose when you cruise please?
Is it less expensive to purchase away from Disney?

Thanks,
Lori

If she's not vomiting now and does not have a fever wait and board as late as you can.

Yeah 2 years of saving and screwed over by Disney. I thought they took care of their customers and apparently not. She just had a shower but feeling ill. No vomiting since 11am yesterday but very weak and nauseous. I just don't know what to do? Take her to port and get denied so insurance is easier? Limo is non refundable at this point byway.

Has she has any liquids?
She is probably dehydrated, poor baby.
ASk her is she can even try some ice chips.

I have had these horrible bugs so many times. :(

So sorry this is happening. First, most stomach viruses last 3-4 days so she may be at the end of it. How is she feeling today? If it lasts longer I'd suggest you have her seen again. Don't know Disney cruise policy regarding showing up at the port and being denied....but that may be an option if your daughter can handle the bus ride to PC. If not talk with the hotel and explain your situation. They may be able to help in some way. Hope things get better soon!

Problem is she is so weak and blah she isn't going to enjoy the cruise. $3200 for her to sit in a stateroom for 2 more days until she is 100% is a total waste.

I was nearly in this same situation last week. I was very fearful our vacation was over. My son wasn't 100% the first day, but he noticeably got better. Push the fluids.

I would definitely try and get on the boat. I would rather be stuck in a stateroom on the boat then go home. She most likely is at the end of the sickness. How many days are you on the boat?

Fingers crossed for you. I hope you are able to go-even if you end up quarantined in your room it is better than not going.

Linda

I'm going to say actually no to that advice.

I'm so sorry for your troubles and things are bleak when you are stressing by yourself. Is she so well that if she were at home and had school today you'd send her off to school on her own with a kiss on the cheek? Then go try. If not, go down to guest services and talk about moving to another resort. They can help facilitate that. I'm sure someone will help with advice about their experience. DCL isn't going to reimburse or find an entire other vacation but generally they seem to want to get people back out on the boat. You will get there.

Hope your daughter gets well soon and you stay feeling well and you both can rest today. :(:(

I don't think DCL screwed you over. I went through them and knew flights, hotels, and such were not covered. It's not exactly hidden info. The pre-existing thing I'm not sure about. You are already on your vacation. I would consider pre-existing issues to be medical problems you already had, not catching a flu type virus. I will be very curious to see what they have to say about that. Your first step should be to call them. Have you done that yet? They can give you far betters than we can. Let us know what they say.

Worse case scenario, they will credit 100% of your cruise. That is why I went with them over a cheaper insurance and plan to get secondary insurance for hotels and such. So you will have to decide whether to try and go now or just wait for a future vacation.

Lastly, I'm sorry this happened to you all. What a horrible let down! We've been saving for our upcoming cruise for years and I would be devastated. You know things can happen but I think you never expect it to happen to you. :( I would definitely be losing my mind. I hope it's a short virus. Stomach bugs often are. Maybe you will still get to go. (((hugs)))

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm so sorry your going through this.

My thoughts, go to the ship. Try to board. Kids are resilient!!

Mom, take a deep breath. OK.

God Bless you both.

Debbie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter