Please help me understand AP discounts

Mrs. Bob Loblaw

Mouseketeer
I'm in the middle of running numbers in an attempt to figure out if it would be better for us to buy a single AP with TiW or to do a package through Disney. We went to WDW the week before Easter and because we checked in on the last day free dining was offered, we were able to get in on the deal for our entire 10 day vacation. If AP rates are offered for a hotel, does the discount work the same way? For example, if an AP room discount is being offered through 12/22, can I check in on 12/22 and get the discount for my entire stay?

I'm in the middle of running numbers in an attempt to figure out if it would be better for us to buy a single AP with TiW or to do a package through Disney. We went to WDW the week before Easter and because we checked in on the last day free dining was offered, we were able to get in on the deal for our entire 10 day vacation. If AP rates are offered for a hotel, does the discount work the same way? For example, if an AP room discount is being offered through 12/22, can I check in on 12/22 and get the discount for my entire stay?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but with room only discounts, such as with the AP, you can only have that discount for the dates listed. This is in contrast to free dining where if you check in on the last day of the promotion, you get the dining for your whole stay. Hope that helps.

The pp is correct. Room discounts are date specific and would not continue through your entire stay if you checked in on the last day of the discount.

Just a FYI - you can buy a package and then upgrade to an AP while you are there if you think you are coming back in a year. I did that and they credited me what the tickets would be worth at the gate towards my AP. This ended up to be a great deal since my tickets had been discounted in the package. I only checked on it because I had 1 day I didn't use and didn't want to waste it. Of course then I HAD to go back to WDW to make it worth while!!:idea:

When does it make sense to buy one AP and use it for a TIW card?
I've read about people doing this but not sure how it would work. Can just one member of a family do this and use it for AP discounts?

I've read about people doing this but not sure how it would work. Can just one member of a family do this and use it for AP discounts?

We've never gotten APs, but I have researched them as we might get them next year, so I'll try to help. Only 1 person needs to have an AP in order to get a room discount and buy a TiW card. The TiW card is good for 20% off meals for up to 10 people on the bill (9 + AP holder). I think 2 (maybe 3) rooms can be booked with 1 AP, but I'm not sure, so hopefully someone will be able to give the right answer. Getting an AP makes sense if you will be going to the parks 10 or more days within a year. It's usually not a good choice to get an AP solely for a room discount as discounts are not guaranteed. HTH :).

Annual Passholders can purchase a TIW card for $75.
Pardon my ignorance.. but what is TIW? Please don't let my post count fool you.. I haven't been in Disney since 2005. I'm kind of out of the loop. TIA!! :)

JessicaW1234 said:

Yes you only need one AP for the TiW card and up to 10 people can dine on it at a meal.

To the PP,mits a discount dining card you can buy if you are an AP holder, FL resident, or DVC member.

Pardon my ignorance.. but what is TIW? Please don't let my post count fool you.. I haven't been in Disney since 2005. I'm kind of out of the loop. TIA!! :)

TiW=Tables in Wonderland card. Available for purchase to AP holders, FL residents and DVC members, it offers 20% off food and beverage (including alcohol) purchases at most WDW TS restaurants and resort lounges, as well as at a few resort CS locations.

I wanted to add that yes, you get a 20% discount at participating restaurants for up to ten people with the Tables in Wonderland card, but there is an automatic gratuity of 18% added to the bill. For us it usually works out that the amount saved at each meal equals about the same as the added gratuity, so i always think of it as having the card pays for the tip. I would always leave a tip around that amount anyways, so it is worth it to me to buy a Tables in Wonderland card every year.

Does the TIW card expire one year from the day of purchase or at the end of the month of purchase? In the past it would go to the end of the month.

sb127 said:
Does the TIW card expire one year from the day of purchase or at the end of the month of purchase? In the past it would go to the end of the month.

It should go to the end of the month following the month you purchased, one year later.

AP's give dining discounts at certain times, I think weekday lunches at certain restaurants is one of them. I decided just to plan the trip around these discounts when I had an AP and skip the TiW. Wasn't worth the extra price to me but it depends on how long you are staying and how much you are eating!!!;)

Here's how we figure if it's worth it to us:

We choose what week we want to vacation.

We choose what resort(s) we are interested in and find out the rate.

We figure out how many days Park Hopper we would buy and find out the rate. And then we figure the cost difference between the PH and the AP.

Then we wait until the AP resort discounts are offered. We then figure what the cost difference is between the regular non discounted resort rate or if a GP rate has been released, then that minus the AP rate. If the discount on the hotel is greater than or equal to the difference for the AP, we buy the AP. We usually figure in the savings on whatever else we book, ths year we saved money on a tour too.

Basically even with the added cost of the AP and $75.00 for the TIW, we still saved more than enough money on the resort to justify the AP and TIW. As for the TIW, we eat at TS and at a Mod or Value, you get a discount for all meals at the food courts. It more than pays for itself, usually in 2 TS meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter