Votes: 8 18.6%
  • All-Inclusive Hilton in Dominican Republic

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • 7-Day Eastern on Fantasy

Votes: 28 65.1%

• Total voters

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
OK, I realize I'm asking a biased group here, haha, but if we can all be reasonably neutral about Disney Cruising for a second and help me pick a vacay, I'd appreciate it! :)

We are a family of 4, mom, dad, and will be 14-yo son and 17-yo daughter. Want to go in mid-May 2024. (Kids attend tiny private school that gets out super early.) We've been on 4 Disney cruises (two 3-night Bahamas on Dream, one 5-night Bermuda on Magic, one 5-night Europe on Magic). We just finished a two-week European vacation to England, Scotland, and Iceland that was 100% self-planned, no tours, etc. so while it was fun, it was a bit mentally taxing at times. Looking to do something a bit easier for the next trip. My kids are not big group joiners, so the teen clubs at either the Hilton or on the Fantasy would not be much of a factor either way.

Idea #1. Yosemite NP/Kings Canyon NP/LA. 5 nights. We'd fly to San Fran and drive to Yosemite. Right now have one night booked at Yosemite Lodge; hoping to get a 2nd night if it opens up (cannot believe May 2024 is already sold out). If not, will have to stay outside park for 2nd night. Third night in Kings Canyon NP, then drive to Los Angeles, stay two nights there doing touristy stuff, fly home out of LA. Pros: we like national parks, no one has been to Yosemite or LA, we love the western US and its weather. Cons: The national park hotels are ridiculously expensive and they are old and fairly blah. The non-national park hotels would be Embassy Suites or Fairfield-level. There would be a lot of driving over 5 days for this trip (like 10-12 hours) and the flights are expensive. This would be the least relaxing of all three options. Total cost: $6,285, or $1,257/night.

Idea #2: Hilton La Romana All-Inclusive Family Resort in Dominican Republic. 5 nights. All meals and water sports are included. Like a cruise, it would be extra for alcohol, spa, and motorized activities. Gets very good reviews. Pros: We are Diamond Hilton people so a good chance of upgrades, plus we'd earn a crap ton of Hilton points. None of us has ever been to the DR, although husband and I did an all-inclusive for our honeymoon and really liked it. This would be super relaxing as everything is taken care of and we'd have to plan nothing, unless we got a hankering to leave the resort, which is doubtful. Probably most relaxing of 3 options. Gets 4.5/5 stars, upscale resort. We'd stay in two resort-view rooms. Cons: Flights are expensive and so is the resort shuttle, which takes 1.5 hours each way. You have to pay the full cost upfront when you book (but good cancelation policy, can cancel up to 7 days before). A high-falutin' friend who has been there said the food was "meh" but liked everything else. Total cost: $7,140, or $1,428/night.

Idea #3: 7-Night Eastern on the Fantasy. 7 nights (duh). We have not cruised the Fantasy yet and actually had this cruise booked back in 2017, the week that Irma hit, so it was canceled. We all know what is included on this board, so I won't elaborate that part. We are Silver Castaway members, and this cruise would bump us to Gold (not that there's many huge perks with that, haha!). We'd stay in two inside rooms. Probably middle-of-the-road relaxation option. We live in the southeast and would drive to Port Canaveral; no need to fly. Pros: DCL is a known entity, we've never had a bad cruise with them, and the kids love the ships and the entertainment. It's a longer trip and is also basically all-inclusive, except for what we'd spend in port. Cons: Most expensive choice, but actually a good deal for Disney Cruise (which I was beginning to think had totally priced our family out). Not super excited about the ports although I always dig Castaway Cay. Total cost: $8,625, or $1,232/night.

Thanks for voting and/or chiming in about any experience you have with any of these options!

I love the Fantasy so my top pick. I'd love to do a tour of the West Coast when my son is older, so that's my second choice. No desire to go sit on the beach for a week in the DR, but I do have a friend that took her kids last year (3rd and 6th grade) and they had a blast.

I would have voted for Idea 1, but 5 nights seems too rushed. I'm in LA and spent 3 nights at Sequoia in May 2021 and 3 nights at Yosemite last May. The time of year is great - not fully summer yet, so the crowds were totally manageable. We stayed just outside the parks both times, and you're right -it's a lot of driving. Even though major parts of Yosemite were closed because of snow or construction, we still didn't get everywhere I would have liked to. If you knocked out Los Angeles and made it a 5 night round-trip out of SFO, I'd have picked that!

This May, we did a...7 night Eastern on the Fantasy 😅 A perfect blend of relaxation and activity.

FWIW, I have little desire to spend an extended period of time at an all-inclusive beach resort, so I am certainly biased towards the DCL option.

I choose Yosemite! This park is my favorite NP! However, I'd look into flying into San Jose or Fresno. They are closer. Also, we stayed just outside the parks at the Tenaya Lodge. Otherwise there are hotels outside the west entrance as well.

It's been several years, but I have trip reports in my signature below of our trips to Yosemite.

It sounds like when you went to Europe, it was more of a "trip" than a vacation. Thats why I voted for the cruise. As great as road tripping and national parks are, they are less than relaxing.
Plus, with only 5 days, it may feel rushed and taxing like your recent trip to Europe. I say always go for longer, if you can swing it. So the cruise gets my vote by default. I do love an all inclusive though!

I have to go with the cruise, simply due to length.

I've done the all inclusive in the DR thing. It's nice, but, again, not really my thing. I'm not a sit on a beach type of person so that would never be one I'd pick.

And I'm not an outdoorsy person at all, but I wouldn't do only 2 days in Yosemite. If this could be re-arranged with either less stuff or more time, it's more of a toss up between the cruise and this. But, as is, I'd pick the cruise.

I'm actually in the process of planning Iceland, Scotland, and England (returning on the Dream on the WBTA) this fall.

We've done all 3 (differing timeframes, but still...). I voted for the cruise. It's as relaxing as the all inclusive, but there's ports to go to so the 'ants in your pants' that we get at a resort are relived. The Yosemite trip is a bit rushed (for me), and it's a whole lotta driving in California with a whole lotta traffic. Not the definition of relaxing for me. It seems like the costs are pretty much of a wash. For us, the most relaxing and fun is the cruise option.

Our family actually has a 7-night Eastern Merrytime cruise scheduled for December 2024. Both travel trips you mentioned would be fantastic, but for our family of 4, we prefer the rest and relaxation of DCL.

Idea 1 is very different that 2 and 3. Yosemite and driving the length of California are very stressful, and with only 5 nights, I wouldn't bother with LA. Do Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia, or just do two of them and spend the last day in San Francisco or a seaside town. Even that sounds like a lot, I would stick with just the parks. May is also the prime time to visit Yosemite, since the waterfalls are at full strength.

For the cruise, eastern has fun port stops, so I wouldn't just write those off. There are some beautiful beaches and nature reserves you can visit on the islands, and you obviously know Castaway Cay. The resort offers you more time on the beach, but less going into town and exploring, so I'm not sure which of those is more appealing to you. Also it seems like you could add another night at the resort and it would be the same price as the cruise, and only 1 night shorter?

My personal ranking would be:
1. Yosemite, but not driving all the way to LA, just spending it all in the three parks.
2. Disney cruise
3. All-inclusive

Last edited:
I voted Fantasy because you've never sailed her before, are one cruise away from Gold, and I love the Eastern Caribbean...but I wanted to share an excellent family vacation we took to California last year that I thought you might like as well. We spent three full days in Disneyland, drove up the Pacific Coast Highway and stayed at an AWESOME little side-of-the-road inn called the Oceanpoint Ranch in Cambria, halfway between LA and SF. Then we spent three nights at Yosemite just on the edge of the park at the Tenaya Lodge (which I thought was a bit nicer than the on-park properties). Lastly, we spent one day and night in San Francisco, just seeing the sites and going on a Golden Gate Bridge cruise.

We paid for most of the trip with points so I'm not sure what the out-of-pocket cost would be in cash, but I thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration. I think all of your options sound like a winning plan, no matter what you chose...have fun!

Last edited:
I would do #1, but nix LA from the itinerary. There's more than enough in those national parks to fill up 5 nights. If you wanted a bit of Disney flair you could add a stop at the Walt Disney Family Museum in SanFran on the way in or out. Yosemite Valley in spring is wonderful with all the waterfalls. Just be aware that the high country and glacier point will likely be inaccessible in May. I would save LA for another trip focused more on Southern California. I stayed in Mariposa on previous trips to Yosemite. A bit of a drive, but much less expensive than in-park lodging.

I would vote for Disney Cruise. I actually love the ports, going to St Johns for morning snorkel followed by lunch in Charlotte Amalie and back on ship by 3 to relax before dinner and shows is one of my best port days. We also had a great full day snorkel on a Tortola with Aristocat. And BVI has plenty else to offer. Driving around CA is opposite of relaxing and all inclusives can be nice but I need more places around to explore than DR.

Ok! After talking it over with the family, Disney Cruise it is! I think the deciding factor was that the kids can roam the ship on their own, without us worrying about them, which they could not have done as easily with the other two options.

I think we will still do Yosemite in the future, but on a longer timeframe.

All options sound great - I voted for Yosemite, but as people have noted I'd reconsider LA because that's a lot of windshield time. Maybe when you fly into SF, you spend some time there instead because it's an awesome city with a lot to do. Or you could definitely add time to the national parks.

Also, minor item worth noting: driving to Yosemite can be a harrowing experience if you (or anyone in your party) isn't a "heights" person. We drove out from SF and there were definitely some mountain roads I didn't enjoy. Plus, maybe I'm spoiled by the East Coast, but California doesn't seem to be as big on guard rails. I've never hit one, but there is something unsettling about driving up a mountain & knowing that if I sneeze I might swerve into a 5,000ft fall.

OK, I realize I'm asking a biased group here, haha, but if we can all be reasonably neutral about Disney Cruising for a second and help me pick a vacay, I'd appreciate it! :)

We are a family of 4, mom, dad, and will be 14-yo son and 17-yo daughter. Want to go in mid-May 2024. (Kids attend tiny private school that gets out super early.) We've been on 4 Disney cruises (two 3-night Bahamas on Dream, one 5-night Bermuda on Magic, one 5-night Europe on Magic). We just finished a two-week European vacation to England, Scotland, and Iceland that was 100% self-planned, no tours, etc. so while it was fun, it was a bit mentally taxing at times. Looking to do something a bit easier for the next trip. My kids are not big group joiners, so the teen clubs at either the Hilton or on the Fantasy would not be much of a factor either way.

Idea #1. Yosemite NP/Kings Canyon NP/LA. 5 nights. We'd fly to San Fran and drive to Yosemite. Right now have one night booked at Yosemite Lodge; hoping to get a 2nd night if it opens up (cannot believe May 2024 is already sold out). If not, will have to stay outside park for 2nd night. Third night in Kings Canyon NP, then drive to Los Angeles, stay two nights there doing touristy stuff, fly home out of LA. Pros: we like national parks, no one has been to Yosemite or LA, we love the western US and its weather. Cons: The national park hotels are ridiculously expensive and they are old and fairly blah. The non-national park hotels would be Embassy Suites or Fairfield-level. There would be a lot of driving over 5 days for this trip (like 10-12 hours) and the flights are expensive. This would be the least relaxing of all three options. Total cost: $6,285, or $1,257/night.

Idea #2: Hilton La Romana All-Inclusive Family Resort in Dominican Republic. 5 nights. All meals and water sports are included. Like a cruise, it would be extra for alcohol, spa, and motorized activities. Gets very good reviews. Pros: We are Diamond Hilton people so a good chance of upgrades, plus we'd earn a crap ton of Hilton points. None of us has ever been to the DR, although husband and I did an all-inclusive for our honeymoon and really liked it. This would be super relaxing as everything is taken care of and we'd have to plan nothing, unless we got a hankering to leave the resort, which is doubtful. Probably most relaxing of 3 options. Gets 4.5/5 stars, upscale resort. We'd stay in two resort-view rooms. Cons: Flights are expensive and so is the resort shuttle, which takes 1.5 hours each way. You have to pay the full cost upfront when you book (but good cancelation policy, can cancel up to 7 days before). A high-falutin' friend who has been there said the food was "meh" but liked everything else. Total cost: $7,140, or $1,428/night.

Idea #3: 7-Night Eastern on the Fantasy. 7 nights (duh). We have not cruised the Fantasy yet and actually had this cruise booked back in 2017, the week that Irma hit, so it was canceled. We all know what is included on this board, so I won't elaborate that part. We are Silver Castaway members, and this cruise would bump us to Gold (not that there's many huge perks with that, haha!). We'd stay in two inside rooms. Probably middle-of-the-road relaxation option. We live in the southeast and would drive to Port Canaveral; no need to fly. Pros: DCL is a known entity, we've never had a bad cruise with them, and the kids love the ships and the entertainment. It's a longer trip and is also basically all-inclusive, except for what we'd spend in port. Cons: Most expensive choice, but actually a good deal for Disney Cruise (which I was beginning to think had totally priced our family out). Not super excited about the ports although I always dig Castaway Cay. Total cost: $8,625, or $1,232/night.

Thanks for voting and/or chiming in about any experience you have with any of these options!
Your first choice - lots of driving which can be stressful. Plus hoping accommodations open up sounds not so fun. 😬 Also - does your cost analysis include meals/drinks, etc? I’m not a huge fan of road tripping - so this is my least fav option of them all.

Second choice sounds pretty good - all inclusive resorts aren’t typically known for their outstanding food, but it sounds like you’ve tempered expectations there. I’ve only done an all inclusive once and found the entertainment to be a bit lacking, perhaps the resort you’d be going to has better options than the one we went to. If you’re looking to relax on a beach and sip drinks all day - this option would probably be the best.

Third choice - on the first glance it is the most expensive - but breaks down to cheapest option per night. It’s a known option - which takes away a lot of the stress of vacationing. Sounds like you’d just need to get to the port - which is relatively easy. I find cruising to be the most relaxing as I have nothing to think about, entertainment is optional, meals are good, service exceptional. If you don’t like the ports - stay on the ship, You get discounted spa services on port days. Pools are less crowded. Castaway Cay? Speaks for itself.

If it were me - I’d do the cruise. The most days, known vacation that you’re sure everyone would enjoy. Second choice is the all inclusive. Third choice is the drive-intensive NP trip.

Good luck - sounds like you’ve got some fun options!

Your first choice - lots of driving which can be stressful. Plus hoping accommodations open up sounds not so fun. 😬 Also - does your cost analysis include meals/drinks, etc? I’m not a huge fan of road tripping - so this is my least fav option of them all.

Second choice sounds pretty good - all inclusive resorts aren’t typically known for their outstanding food, but it sounds like you’ve tempered expectations there. I’ve only done an all inclusive once and found the entertainment to be a bit lacking, perhaps the resort you’d be going to has better options than the one we went to. If you’re looking to relax on a beach and sip drinks all day - this option would probably be the best.

Third choice - on the first glance it is the most expensive - but breaks down to cheapest option per night. It’s a known option - which takes away a lot of the stress of vacationing. Sounds like you’d just need to get to the port - which is relatively easy. I find cruising to be the most relaxing as I have nothing to think about, entertainment is optional, meals are good, service exceptional. If you don’t like the ports - stay on the ship, You get discounted spa services on port days. Pools are less crowded. Castaway Cay? Speaks for itself.

If it were me - I’d do the cruise. The most days, known vacation that you’re sure everyone would enjoy. Second choice is the all inclusive. Third choice is the drive-intensive NP trip.

Good luck - sounds like you’ve got some fun options!
Yes, all options included food, gas, etc. (I have way too much fun researching and making travel Excel spreadsheets.)

I come from a town with a quite large Dominican population. Pretty much all of my friends that have immigrated from there say the same thing when people ask about visiting: pick a resort and don't leave it. There aren't a lot of touristy things to do and there are areas that can be sketchy for tourists. If your family is fine with staying within the resort and hanging out at the beach the whole time you're there, then I think it would be a great relaxing vacation, but if you guys tend to want to go do other activities or would get bored being at the same place the whole time, then I think the cruise would be the better option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter