Please help me pick a new wall color to go with these kitchen cabinets.

Theta

DIS Veteran
I just bought a new house. I would like to freshen up and brighten this entire area which includes the kitchen, hallway, living area and kitchen nook.

Is the backsplash okay for now or does it need to go? Hoping new paint will help without redoing the tile. If it needs to go, tile suggestions are appreciated.

Edited to ask, is tile expensive to replace?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Kitchen 1.jpg
    Kitchen 1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Kitchen 2.jpg
    Kitchen 2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
The tile’s not bad. I’d pick a color out of the tiles to paint with… a light color so the kitchen stays bright… although to be perfectly honest, I see that blue and white bowl and think you could do the whole place to match that bowl and you’d be in good shape.

Backsplash is mostly a matter of personal preference. If you like the colors, much cheaper to leave as is. Replacing it would basically mean they have to replace the drywall since the adhesives that hold the tile usually will cause chunks of the drywall to get removed. That is different from replacing floor tile where it is usually a cement subfloor (if main floor with no basement) or over some wood subflooring.

If replacing the backsplash, you can literally find hundreds of designs on the internet.

Backsplash is mostly a matter of personal preference. If you like the colors, much cheaper to leave as is. Replacing it would basically mean they have to replace the drywall since the adhesives that hold the tile usually will cause chunks of the drywall to get removed. That is different from replacing floor tile where it is usually a cement subfloor (if main floor with no basement) or over some wood subflooring.

If replacing the backsplash, you can literally find hundreds of designs on the internet.

Oh that makes sense about replacing drywall for the backsplash. Yeah, a lot of work.

You can live with the backsplash-it's not bad at all. I myself am not a fan of neutrals, but it looks like a darker brown would look nice... but maybe darken the room too much. Have you thought about going with a neutral that tends toward a color, like a sage?

You can live with the backsplash-it's not bad at all. I myself am not a fan of neutrals, but it looks like a darker brown would look nice... but maybe darken the room too much. Have you thought about going with a neutral that tends toward a color, like a sage?
Agree - I’d go with a grey-green tone to pick up on the backsplash and tie in the dark grey quartz. The cabinets and floor are such a warm and distinctively golden tone that I think it would be hard to match nicely with anything blue or bright white.

It’s a lovely space! Agree with others, tile’s not bad, but maybe a bit outdated for today’s tastes. I have seen a lot of people painting over tile successfully on Instagram.

Have you thought about brightening up in another way? Do you have under counter lighting there? That makes a huge difference in how bright a kitchen is. And decluttering and finding something other than those dark baskets to put up on top of the cabinets might brighten it up, too. What, I don’t know. But you could look around for ideas.

That might save you a lot of time, money and hassle, since the bones of the area seem pretty good as is.

I have the same color cabinets and a bit darker or a wood floor. To lighten our kitchen and make it less 'orangey' we just chose a Sherwin Williams white called marshmallow. . The backsplash is pretty inexpensive to do over. We have a lot of counter space and a huge island and did the backsplash and replaced all of the counter and island granite with a white quartz for under $8k using Home Depot. I love white and the fact that I can now see every little thing on the counter before it's too late (before couldn't see sticky messes or ants with the granite!).

The tile’s not bad. I’d pick a color out of the tiles to paint with… a light color so the kitchen stays bright… although to be perfectly honest, I see that blue and white bowl and think you could do the whole place to match that bowl and you’d be in good shape.

Haha, I went straight to the bowl too!

You just moved in, so I wouldn't rush to do anything MAJOR. You may find other issues in the house you want to address first financially. Ignore the cabinets they are neutral, so I would pick a color from the backsplash .. likely something in the grey blue colors to move away from all the browns in the room. I actually bought second home with brown/beige cabinets and all shades of brown/beige backsplash and beige walls. I knew the cost of the backsplash wasn't something I wanted to take on so I actually painted my walls a deep blue. It was a great offset to what was there. But for you I would try to keep it fairly light but in the blue grey family ... then live with it for awhile. Then you will get a feel for a long term plan.

My kitchen is very similar colors. While
my backspash area is more neutral cream as are the walls, we have the brown wood, dark counter, and black accents. I have dark blue pots and pans etc. - kind of like you have the bowl.

We have contemplated painting our cupboards but decided we like them the way they are!

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I prefer the bluish grays rather than the greenish grays. But I don't know if blue/grays would go with the tile??

We purchased the house from the sweetest couple in their late 70s, these photos show what it was like when we viewed the house. The baskets and other decor are not mine.

We thought it had really good bones and layout.

I'd keep the backsplash if for nothing else than you may want to live in it for a bit before deciding to completely replace. Tile can be expensive depending on what it is and you'd want to make sure to get a good tile installer.

For now I'd say keep and go for a gray tone that's light enough because the flooring and cabinetry is still on the lighter side I wouldn't go dark with the wall color but that's just my personal preference. I'd go darker if the floor was darker even though that may darken the kitchen feel the tones would be feel more cozy to me with at least darker flooring.

One advice I can give is narrow down to a few paint colors and then get the samples for them and paint them and sit on them for a few days to get both how the light hits them (daylight and bulb light) and how it dries. Multi-colored tiles can be good for choices but sometimes it leads to too many options :laughing:

I’m going to go against the popular vote and say paint the walls where the cabinets are a nice deep hunter green it will make the cabinets feel lighter and complement the backsplash colors and granite. I’d keep the light cream color on the other walls and kitchen island.

The backsplash is fine. Wall Paint colors:
The trim color of white.
The blue/grey from the backsplash tile.
The green/grey from the counters.

The walls, floors and cabinets look very warm to me. I would probably go with a neutral or warm cream shade, maybe SW greek villa, if you feel the need to do something right away. Then add kitchen rug or two to break up the wood floors and cabinets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter