• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help me convince my job to respect the special needs of disabled students

Nik's Mom

DIS Veteran
Hi,
Ok, non Disney question, but I don't know who else to ask.
I work at a local university and have an on-going arguement with co-workers regarding our disabled students. At times, our disabled students will come up to the front of the line and ask to be helped without waiting in line. Some have asked the students what their disability is before assisting them. I have tried to explain to my co-workers that I don't think it's appropriate to ask such a question. Am I wrong here? Any suggestions on how to assist these students? We are supposed to have a meeting on this subject this coming week and I would love to have some ammunition. Thanks a lot

My thoughts are three-fold, but probably not the answer you want to hear.

If the student is in a chair or ECV they should be in an ordinary line.

If the person is on crutches or has a walking cast they should be allowed up front to avoid excess standing.

If a person has an invisible disabilty, they should say to someone "I have ???, which causes a problem if I stand in line".

In the parks, and at other locations, all that is required is to be able to accomodate the disability. The ADA does not state that a person with a disability should receive preferential treatment, just that they should have the same opportunities as everyone else.

An example of this, when I am in a crowded restaurant waiting area I will find a seat (or have one found for me) rather than prolonged standing; I will not ask to be seated ahead of people already waiting.

Students with a disability for the most part can wait in line with other students unless they are on crutches or in a cast or brace of some kind. No reason a deaf student cannot wait in line but they may need an interpreter to get full information on what they need to do. Have pad and paper available for them if needed or the location of a specific office to handle their needs with someone who can sign.

For actual classroom accommodations it varies so widely depending on needs. Does the student need a scribe, interpreter, CART, accessible classroom, oral interpreter, and on and on. Depends.

I agree with the others. They should be waiting in line with everyone else unless their disability prevents them from doing so. If they are going to the front of the line, I'd look for why - is there something about the process or the place that makes them think this is what they are supposed to do?

There might be factors that make it look like they need to go to the front - like if only one line has a lowered counter, only the "end" line is accessible, or only one specific person can help them, the place is confusing and they don't know what line they belong in, etc. A person with a disability might go to the line that meets their needs even though people in other lines have been waiting longer.

Staff should not be asking what the person's disability is because that is usually not pertinent information; 2 people with the same disability don't necessarily have the same needs. If the staff need to know something in order to help the person, it would be more along the lines of "What type of assistance do you need."

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of having the person just have a seat until it is their turn to come to be assisted. Thanks again.

I agree with those here who've stated that unless there is a specific need, there is no reason to go to the front of a line. I have a "green stamp" GAC at WDW- one of the old ones- which I have only used once, and that was to prevent having to wait in a crowded, cramped line where I felt my medical equipment would be unsafe, not to bypass others. It's just a lesson in being courteous in life vs. expecting preferential treatment due to a disability. That said, I have no idea what the queue line situation is to check-out at the University or what prior practices may have been in place, but I think it's great that you're looking into the issue to set some standards. ---Kathy

is good for eveyone who is physically able to handle the wait. it gives you time to interact w/others and to wind down! :crazy: I use an ecv at dis but have only once taken advantage of going to a different area to wait! and that wasn't because of the problem i was using the ecv for! I was having horrible hot flashes and must have looked like I was going to pass out... the cast members let me wait in the front are of the line where there was shade instead of in the regular line! What lifesavers! I'd never had hot flashes before and I thought I was dying! LOL nothing like hot flashes in July / Aug heat! They also were kind enough to allow my daughter to wait with me while my husband went to get some iced drinks! I think they saved my life that day!

when she needed to either: (1) request a place to sit while she waits for her turn when there is no seating; or (2) to tell a staff member that she is seated so they know she is "on line" even though she is sitting elsewhere. She uses a cane or walker. She doesn't expect preferential treatment, but can't stand. This happens at places like the post office or department of motor vehicles. She likes it when there is signage indicating where to go for assistance rather than having the choice of standing (bad) or barging up to the front.

:wave: Cupcake

Maybe you should contact your school's Disability Support Services Office and ask if there are any students that require an accommodation like going to the head of the line. If there such a student or students the office could request permission to provide your office and others with the students name. You would then have a list of names to work off of. But as stated earlier the office workers have no right to know what the disability is only the accommodation that is being offered. Beyond physical disabilities there are psychiatric disabilities that may make it very difficult for a student to wait in a crowded line or waiting area.

I am the director of the office that provides disability support services at a small college. At this time the only front of the line preference per se goes on in the dining hall, a cashier generally helps some of our mobilty impaired students with getting there food and then walks them directly to an open register; however the school is so small there is rarely more than two or three people in a line anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter