Please help me choose the Best Marriott property

obbut

Earning My Ears
Hello!
I am a WDW regular but will find myself on the West Coast this summer so I want to visit Disneyland. I have Marriott certificates that allow me to stay at any Marriott that is 65K or less points per night.

A few Marriott properties are above the 65K threshhold (Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance, Residence Inn at Anaheim Resort, JW Marriott Anaheim Resort, The Westin Anaheim Resort) so I cannot choose any of those.

The following are close enough to the park and the options I can use my Marriott Certificates at along with their TripAdvisor ranking:

SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate (5/125 on TripAdvisor)
Fairfield Anaheim Resort (45/125 on TripAdvisor)
Four Points by Sheraton Anaheim (69/125 on Tripadvisor)
Element Anaheim Resort Convention Center (89/125 on Tripadvisor)
SpringHill Suites at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center (35/125 on Tripadvisor)
Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort (77/125 on Tripadvisor)
The Viv Hotel Anaheim, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel (66/125 on Tripadvisor)
Courtyard Anaheim Resort/Convention Center (42/125 on Tripadvisor)

Initially I was going to do The Viv as it has the best brand name (Tribute Portfolio), but TripAdvisor is scaring me. Springhill Suites Anaheim Maingate has the best TA score. I understand that TripAdvisor is one factor in the equation and shouldn't alone be treated as gospel so I thought I'd reach out to the Disneyland community for help.
Please advise on what you think I should do. Any knowledge/experience will be appreciated.

Hello!
I am a WDW regular but will find myself on the West Coast this summer so I want to visit Disneyland. I have Marriott certificates that allow me to stay at any Marriott that is 65K or less points per night.

A few Marriott properties are above the 65K threshhold (Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance, Residence Inn at Anaheim Resort, JW Marriott Anaheim Resort, The Westin Anaheim Resort) so I cannot choose any of those.

The following are close enough to the park and the options I can use my Marriott Certificates at along with their TripAdvisor ranking:

SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate (5/125 on TripAdvisor)
Fairfield Anaheim Resort (45/125 on TripAdvisor)
Four Points by Sheraton Anaheim (69/125 on Tripadvisor)
Element Anaheim Resort Convention Center (89/125 on Tripadvisor)
SpringHill Suites at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center (35/125 on Tripadvisor)
Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort (77/125 on Tripadvisor)
The Viv Hotel Anaheim, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel (66/125 on Tripadvisor)
Courtyard Anaheim Resort/Convention Center (42/125 on Tripadvisor)

Initially I was going to do The Viv as it has the best brand name (Tribute Portfolio), but TripAdvisor is scaring me. Springhill Suites Anaheim Maingate has the best TA score. I understand that TripAdvisor is one factor in the equation and shouldn't alone be treated as gospel so I thought I'd reach out to the Disneyland community for help.
Please advise on what you think I should do. Any knowledge/experience will be appreciated.
We love the Springhill Suites Anaheim Convention Center and have stayed there multiple times with free night certificates. The room layouts help with our daughter since she can use the pullout couch on the other side of the room; the rooms aren’t full suites (they are next door at the residence inn which used to be less points) but the bathroom is in the middle so her space feels separate and we’re less likely to wake her. Hot breakfast is good and includes Mickey Waffles, fruit, yogurt, eggs etc. The location is a quick 10-15 min to the parks and right by CVS, 7-eleven, lots of quick options etc.

We’ve not stayed at the other resorts but had planned to try Element. I know Fairfield is a little closer to the parks but it doesn’t include free breakfast, the rooms aren’t as large or separated as Springhill and we aren’t as much a fan of the exterior hallways as they can be noisier.

Hope that helps!

What about the Anaheim Marriott--is it under your point threshold for your dates? It is a full-service hotel within walking distance of the parks, and is a step above all the others you listed in terms of both hard and soft product.

Also, the Tribute Portfolio is not the best "brand name" in that list--the Tribute Portfolio is a catch-all bucket for properties that don't want to go fully under the Bonvoy umbrella but who still want access to the huge list of potential Bonvoy customers. Quality can vary widely within it.

Also, some Bonvoy certificates allow you to book hotels at a higher point cost using either points from your account or cash. If your certs are like that, the JW and the Westin are both nicer than anything else on your list and likely worth the extra.

Out of your list, I would rank like this:

1. Westin
2. Element
3. Sheraton Park
4. Either springhill suites

They are all newer properties (except Sheraton, but it just had a recent full remodel). Westin is gorgeous and we had excellent customer service. Element has nice room sizes and a fantastic breakfast and breakfast area. Very well laid out and not a cluster like most free breakfast’s at hotels. We have been in the room at the springhill convention center but did not stay. It was nice and the rooftop pool was also pretty neat. Plus free breakfast. We have been wanting to check out the one on ball, but haven’t stayed there yet. My husband stayed at the Sheraton and absolutely loved it.

We stayed at the Viv when it was Radisson Blu. We absolutely loved it! But, did not like the distance to the parks. We used ART, which at the time was on demand and it took forever to actually get to the hotel. So that was frustrating. I have read the reviews since it changed to the Viv and I’m shocked. It makes me sad that it has gone so down hill, as the property was beautiful and the rooms were fantastic.

JW is also very nice. It’s about the same walk as the westin, but feels longer. I think because you are further away from the “bubble”. Lol. Not sure if you will have a car, but I know parking at the JW is valet only and pricey.

Have so much fun. You will love Disneyland!!

What about the Anaheim Marriott--is it under your point threshold for your dates? It is a full-service hotel within walking distance of the parks, and is a step above all the others you listed in terms of both hard and soft product.

Also, the Tribute Portfolio is not the best "brand name" in that list--the Tribute Portfolio is a catch-all bucket for properties that don't want to go fully under the Bonvoy umbrella but who still want access to the huge list of potential Bonvoy customers. Quality can vary widely within it.

Also, some Bonvoy certificates allow you to book hotels at a higher point cost using either points from your account or cash. If your certs are like that, the JW and the Westin are both nicer than anything else on your list and likely worth the extra.
Hi Iceman,

You made some great points. I feel like we could be buddies.

First, I don't know why I didn't include the Anaheim Marriott-it works as far as points. It is 56/125 on TA. Like I said, I know not to treat this as gospel but I do weave it into the decision tapestry.

I was ignorant about Tribute Portfolio, thanks for the info.

The certificates I have are 50K and I am (relatively) point-rich so I was factoring in the 15K plus-up in my 65K threshhold. Any hotel with a night (or more than one) over 65K I had to disqualify.

So you think I should do the Marriott huh? Can you tell me more why you think so?

Thanks,

obbut

As someone that has Lifetime Marriott Status my go to is the Fairfield as it is the closest and always predictably mediocre.

When staying off site all I need is a bed and a shower and proximity to gates is a top priority for me. No breakfast but would not eat it since DTD has so many better options even if they had it so that is a non issue for me.

Residence Inn and SpringHill Suites are both also nice but a bit further of a hike and an option if you need the additional space.

Although the Anaheim Marriott is technically a “full service” Hotel it is a tad dumpy IMO and I only stay there if we are at the Convention Center and never for a Park trip

Last edited:
As someone that has Lifetime Marriott Status my go to is the Fairfield as it is the closest and always predictably mediocre.

When staying off site all I need is a bed and a shower and proximity to gates is a top priority for me. No breakfast but would not eat it since DTD has so many better options even if they had it so that is a non issue for me.

Residence Inn and SpringHill Suites are both also nice but a bit further of a hike and an option if you need the additional space.

Although the Anaheim Marriott is the Billy a “full service” Hoyle it is a tad dumpy and I only stay there if we are at the Convention Center and never for a Park trip

Courtyard is the nicest close offsite hotel IMO but usually not with the high cost. JW and Westin are too far for my liking.

You might be able to add points to the certificates :teacher:
(or did you already account for that?)
Predictably Mediocre is such a glowing endorsement :thumbsup2
(better than Occasionally Terrible)

One thing to consider is location. The "best" for you might be the closest, if you want to make this a DLR-centric trip. You'll appreciate being closer, rather than further, at the end of a long day in the parks.

So you think I should do the Marriott huh? Can you tell me more why you think so?
I tend to prefer full-service hotels over limited-service brands. The Marriott will have higher-quality furnishings, better-trained staff, a full bar and restaurant, room service, an indoor/outdoor pool, a nicer gym, and (this may be key) a traditional concierge lounge. Assuming you're Bonvoy platinum or above, you'll have complimentary access to the lounge where you can get complimentary breakfast, and if you're back at the hotel in the evenings, snacks and appetizers. There's also the chance for room upgrades (they have several categories of suites).

Another poster described the Marriott as "dumpy", which I guess is in the eye of the beholder but I definitely wouldn't call it that. It's on par with pretty much any standard suburban full-service Marriott; I feel like it's been well-maintained and renovated recently enough to feel more "fresh" than "dumpy".

I tend to prefer full-service hotels over limited-service brands. The Marriott will have higher-quality furnishings, better-trained staff, a full bar and restaurant, room service, an indoor/outdoor pool, a nicer gym, and (this may be key) a traditional concierge lounge. Assuming you're Bonvoy platinum or above, you'll have complimentary access to the lounge where you can get complimentary breakfast, and if you're back at the hotel in the evenings, snacks and appetizers. There's also the chance for room upgrades (they have several categories of suites).

Another poster described the Marriott as "dumpy", which I guess is in the eye of the beholder but I definitely wouldn't call it that. It's on par with pretty much any standard suburban full-service Marriott; I feel like it's been well-maintained and renovated recently enough to feel more "fresh" than "dumpy".
Iceman I am taking your advice (for now-trip is a long way off) and going with the Marriott. This is dependent on my Platinum status not being downgraded (I canceled the Amex that gave me the status). If I get downgraded I may opt for a hotel with free breakfast. Thanks for the advice.

I like the Westin the best as far as a hotel goes. I have found it to be the nicest of the properties and I love Westin beds in general. We usually stay at the Fairfield though, because of the location. It is basic/bare bones even for a Fairfield. We recently stayed at the courtyard theme park entrance since it was a girls trip with 4 adults (two middle aged ladies and our college aged daughters) and wanted one room with enough beds for everyone. It was nice and the location is nice, but in general for a family trip we want two full rooms so would prefer to stay in a non bunk room.

We haven't stayed at the Viv, I have looked at it but location is important to us and we really prefer a short walk. We pretty much only stay at Marriott properties.

I really liked the Marriott Springhill Suites Anaheim Maingate, easy walk good breakfast, very comfortable room and the staff was great! Also a good one is the Anaheim Marriott Suites, lovely rooms, great concierge lounge. We are lifetime platinums so the upgrades help out plenty! Wherever you stay you will have a great time because you are going to Disneyland!!! Have fun!

As for lounge access, both the Convention Center Marriott and the JW close their lounges on Friday night until Sunday (or at least they did when we stayed there). It’s one of the reasons we prefer the Westin.

I just did a few days at the Fairfield and liked it. Gold elite so upgraded to theme park view, high floor so no street noise. Big rooms. Huge desk and fast enhanced internet which was good as I worked remotely. Beds were comfy, good water pressure. Nothing fancy but leagues better than my last stay at BWPPI in 2021 (lumpy bed, lousy temp control). Maybe 8 minutes to security and only 3-4 minutes further than BWPPI.

If proximity is the main concern: Fairfield Anaheim Resort. Be aware that this hotel has no free breakfast for anyone.

If you don't have Platinum status or higher and want free breakfast, Element is the best. The Springhill Anaheim Resort is a bit closer and still has free breakfast but with points, I'd pick the Element.

If you have Platinum or higher, the Sheraton will be the best if you are willing to use your welcome amenity for breakfast. Otherwise, the breakfast and lounge at the Marriott Convention Center are better. The rooms at the Sheraton are newer and it's a shorter walk to the park so I'd probably recommend it over the Marriott unless you plan to burn a Suite Night Award/Nightly Upgrade Award or have Ambassador status.

I haven't stayed at the Viv yet since it's the newest Marriott hotel in the area. On paper, it's the nicest hotel but it's a bit far.

The Courtyard Anaheim Resort/Convention Center is fine but I mostly stay there on cash when it's substantially cheaper than the other options. The Four Points is one that I tolerate when it is a lot cheaper than the other options but not one that I recommend because the car noises can be bothersome and I'm not a huge fan of their older rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter