Please help a mom w motion sickness!

bayareadisneyland

Mouseketeer
My 6&9 year olds are tal enough to ride everything (over 48 inches). Can I wait in line w them, buckle them in rides and wait at exit? Is this safe? Allowed? We have genie +, do I need a genie+ pass to do this- we have 5 people and only the kids want to ride the extreme rides. Thanks!

I feel you...there are a few things I just can't ride. On Disneyland's website it says the following for Big Thunder, Space Mountain and Matterhorn:
"Children under age 7 years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older."
I imagine the other thrill rides are the same but didn't check.

I think the 6 year old especially is too young for that.

Also, as far as waiting at the exit...Once I let my kids go on Big Thunder and I showed them exactly where I would be waiting, but once the ride started and they were gone I was directed to go somewhere else to wait for them. We did find each other but it was stressful.

When my 11yo rode Matterhorn alone a similar thing happened. I hadn't realized there were 2 places riders could come out.

Thanks for your help. My little guy turns 7 two days after we return but sounds like it won’t work for this trip….I will have to take one for the team and ride with them. 🤢

Thanks for your help. My little guy turns 7 two days after we return but sounds like it won’t work for this trip….I will have to take one for the team and ride with them. 🤢
I have bad back issues, so I understand how hard it can be not being able to take the kids on rides (or suffering if you do!) Maybe you could tell them just one extreme ride per day, or even wait for the next trip if there will be one? You want to make sure you have a good time and don't make yourself sick. My Brother in law went on some big roller coaster at WDW with his kids and he felt so awful afterwards he had to go back to the hotel room for the rest of the day!

I've found there are some really fun rides I CAN go on, like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. I try to focus on those. I bet you could do some research about which rides would really set off your motion sickness and which ones could be ok. I do that when I'm trying to decide about rides that will hurt my back. Everyone is different, of course, but I can usually get a good idea of what I should avoid.

I take Meclizine for motion sickness and it works pretty well for most rides, but I also carry a pair of SeaBands for the rides that hit me harder (Star Tours, GotG) and they help a lot.

I take Meclizine for motion sickness and it works pretty well for most rides, but I also carry a pair of SeaBands for the rides that hit me harder (Star Tours, GotG) and they help a lot.
Ditto on the meclizine (Generic Bonine). It works great for me with no side effects and as a generic is very inexpensive.

I just called and they said it is fine that they ride alone! That quote above is meant for people dropping off their kids at the park! Very happy!
I hope they provided the correct information. My 6 yr likes to ride with his sibling and they ask both their ages.

As well, I have seen parents need to be rearranged when they ask their kids ages and sometimes it’s thee in a cart ( toy story) and it’s seems to be due to age from what I’ve heard.

I just called and they said it is fine that they ride alone! That quote above is meant for people dropping off their kids at the park! Very happy!
Ugh - I feel you on the motion sickness. Most rides I have to just deal with it. When my child was that age, on the "silly swings" in DCA, even though she was well over height, because she was 7 I had to ride tandem with her. Ginger tablets also an option for motion sickness- took some while on a whale watching trip and it really helped.

I have motion sickness and Scopolamine patches have been a life- (and fun-) saver for me. I haven't used them at DLR (yet) but at WDW I was fine on ST, Avatar, TT, MF, and I even rode Expedition Everest and was just fine! I wasn't brave enough to test it out on Space or the teacups though.

Just for reference I'm fine without medication on BTMRR and Guardians so YMMV.

While my 9 and 7 year old are officially "legal"to ride alone, I'm not ready to let them go on any alone where they couldn't see or hear me in case of ride stoppage/breakdown. Dumbo or teacups, sure, thunder mountain, no way. They can follow directions, but would be afraid they might get scared and make a bad choice.

I don't believe the OP was given correct advice when she called. My 5 year old was not allowed to ride Goofy's Sky School with his 13 year old sister. The rule is you must be 7 or older to ride any ride or be with someone 14 or older.

I have pretty extreme motion sickness and have tried meclizine, worked decent for some rides, not simulator ones for me personally. Tried all the bands, patches (my doctor prescribed some specifically for DL, love her!), everything. About four years ago I found a band thing called EmeTerm and I can go on everything now, except FOP at DW for some reason that one killed me. It's weird to get used to, it sends a shock through your wrist, but it were such a game changer. I had resigned myself to just watching and was absolutely fine with it. It has been so wonderful getting to join back in though. Just thought I throw this out there for anyone wanting to try it.

I called twice and talked to two different people that told me the same thing

There can often be a 'disconnect' between the phone CMs and the actual 'rules' in the parks. Bottom line is, the written policy says that a child under 7 must be accompanied on an attraction by a person 14 or older. If an attractions CM chooses to 'look the other way' that's on them.

But don't expect that an attractions CM will let them ride because you tell them that the phone CM told you it would be fine. I think most of us have been misinformed by a phone CM at one time or another. Just be prepared to have to ride with them or have the 9 yr old go alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter