• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please explain

here757

DIS Veteran
I have read about the DVC, I know how time shares work. How does the points work in the DVC? I would like to go to Disney every 2-3 years would it be good for me. I stay at the SOG but keep hearing how DVC is just as good and can use other places? Please explain

Thanks in Advance
Lost in Va

DVC is a timeshare with a Disney twist. If you are going every 2-3 years, you could get by with a smaller point total and not have to pay as much in dues. Just go to the "DVC point charts" up at the top of this page and look at some of the totals for the different resorts. Decide which home resort you would like, and based on those point totals, divide the total number you would need by 2 and buy that number of points. With banking and borrowing, you would have that many points to use every 2-3 years.

For example:
A 50 point contract would give you 150 points to use the "middle" year if you banked one year into the next, and that next year used those 100 points plus borrowed from the following year.

If you need a 2 bedroom unit most trips, choose the resort you are most interested in and the time of year you are likely to visit and do the same excersise that way. For example: if you want a week at OKW in a 2 bedroom during early December, January or November, you would need 218 points for that reservation. Dividing that total by 2 would mean you could purchase around 110 points and be fine with banking and borrowing. The resale market is cheaper than buying direct from Disney, and you wont have to abide by the minimum purchase requirements that a new contract from Disney requires. There is a resale agen listed at the top of this page also.

I have read about the DVC, I know how time shares work. How does the points work in the DVC?

as diane said, use the point chart link above to figure how many pts you would need to vacation how you want at the resort you prefer.

you would pay a certain amount upfront - for a 50 pt SSR resale contract, it would cost around $4200-4500 as a one-time fee. then you would owe around $250 (i.e. $5 per pt) per year in annual dues (which would increase around 3-4% per year).

I would like to go to Disney every 2-3 years would it be good for me.

IMO stretching to every 3rd year is pretty risky, given that the pt charts seem to be up for reallocation at this pt. (they cannot increase the pt charts across the board - if the pt cost for one night goes up, then another night must get cheaper - but when they make the adjustment, you may wind up a couple of pts short.)

i would consider using DVC only if you go to wdw annually or every other year.

I stay at the SOG but keep hearing how DVC is just as good and can use other places?

IMO, the SOG deals are probably about as good or better than DVC, depending on what you are looking for. DVC would be worthwhile if you want more space (the 2BRs are very nice) at a higher cost.

i would not recommend buying DVC to trade out for other places. it is a reasonable deal compared to onsite wdw hotel prices, but when trading for more rationally priced accomodations, it would be a miserable deal. look for another timeshare if you intend to trade on a regular basis.

I am aware rates vary for military and DOD personnel who stay at SOG based on factors such as rank and service class. Nevertheles, I believe someone who goes only every two to three years and can reserve SOG should have second thoughts about joining DVC. Overall cost is likely going to be less, both in the short and long run, with SOG. Thus, the only reasons you should consider DVC is if you actually have a great desire to own and stay in one or more of the DVC resorts (and understand that you are not going to be getting something that costs less than SOG) or you are soon going to be giving up the ability to use SOG by leaving leaving the service or DOD.

I am aware rates vary for military and DOD personnel who stay at SOG based on factors such as rank and service class. Nevertheles, I believe someone who goes only every two to three years and can reserve SOG should have second thoughts about joining DVC. Overall cost is likely going to be less, both in the short and long run, with SOG. Thus, the only reasons you should consider DVC is if you actually have a great desire to own and stay in one or more of the DVC resorts (and understand that you are not going to be getting something that costs less than SOG) or you are soon going to be giving up the ability to use SOG by leaving leaving the service or DOD.

SOG is a great deal (I've stayed there with family members who are in the military). The rooms are quite large and its pretty well located. I dont think DVC is a better deal.

As a military member, I would like to point out that SOG does not always have availability, and the overflow rates are not always fabulous, so it does depend upon how often you would be going to WDW as well as when in the year.

DVC is only a good value if you use points at DVC resorts ONLY and don't go heavy on weekends. It will not save you money over SOG. For every 2-3 years you could buy less points but you shouldn't buy to trade to non DVC options, those are poor choices in almost all cases and those that are not are extremely unlikely to be available. There are no exceptions I am aware of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter