Please don't release balloons at memorials or celebrations!

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
I recently have been seeing a lot of memorials on the news lately and seeing them all releasing balloons in memory. As nice as a thought this may seem remember these balloons just don’t disappear. They can end up injuring or killing animals that want to play with or eat them unknowingly. Innocent animals shouldn’t die cause you are mourning your loved one dying.

Last edited:

Here in Miami, helium filled balloons are a big problem for Everglades National Park. Most of the balloons are from birthday parties.

The park lies to the west of Miami and our prevailing winds are from the southeast. So the balloons go up, drift to the west or northwest, the helium leaks out and they eventually fall in the middle of the Everglades.

Birds especially are attracted to them, and rangers often find dead birds who got tangled up in a balloon and suffocated.

Thank goodness they were able to help that seal. I have never understood the attraction of setting balloons free.

Thank goodness they were able to help that seal. I have never understood the attraction of setting balloons free.
Except for the Chinese lanterns, I don't think most of them are "set free." They just get loose and float skyward by accident.

Because American culture, in particular WASP grouping, has no culture of mourning. Sitting in a pew for a few hours is still a very empty experience. But if you meet every year with a group of folks who lost their children, releasing balloons forms a community of grief that has companionship and ritual.....and release from the pain. Tending to a gravestone just does not do it anymore.

Last edited:
My daughter did her Girl Scout Gold Award project on this topic. Balloons Don't Go To Heaven.

I'm not exactly a crunchy tree hugger, and I admit up until a few years ago I didn't give it a lot of thought, and it wasn't something we did so it wasn't on my radar. Then a few years ago my MIL insisted everyone release balloons at her Mothers funeral and it didn't make sense to me to be littering as a form of memorial! The county we live in banned releasing balloons, although we still find tangled in the trees or crops of our farm- or run over in the tractor - on average 1 of these balloons per month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter