• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please critique my Spring Break plans...

PHamrick

Mouseketeer
Sorry in advance if this becomes a long post, but this is my first trip to DL and SoCal in general. A few things really quickly: my family consists of DH, me, Boy (8) and Girl (6). Girl is over 42", but not 48" yet, I don't think. Boy is enormous (over 54"). Our spring break runs from 4/8-4/15

We will be doing a variety of things in SoCal, including family visits and will have 1 1/2 days, maybe another 1/2 day for DL while in LA. We are staying for two night at GCH and for an additional 2 nights in Irvine. We arrive at GCH Tuesday evening, 4/11. I thought to visit Downtown Disney District in the evening and maybe get our shopping out of the way.

On Wednesday, 4/12, we have a half day tour of Hollywood and the tourist sites. In the late afternoon, probably around 4ish, we will head into Disney California Adventure. I have NO IDEA what we will be able to do or if FastPasses will be available or if MaxPass will be available yet or not. My thought was to attempt to ride a few rides and/or meet some characters. I've got the app, so I figured I'd keep checking wait times. We'd probably stay at the park until 9ish as long as the kids are doing OK.

On Thursday, 4/13, we will do EMH at Disneyland. First priority is to sign up for Jedi Training. My thought was to get a time slot around lunch time and make it one of the last things we do at DL. We will spend the rest of the morning doing a mix of rides and character meetings at DL. As far as I can tell, EMH will begin at 7 am during Spring Break, so if we have a 1:40 Jedi Training and we have to be there at 1:20 or so, we will have about 5-6 hours to do our priorities in DL.

After Jedi Training, we could either do more at DL for another hour or go directly over to DCA and attempt to hit some more headliners and maybe see the World of Color before collapsing in a heap.

What do you think? Doable? I know we won't get to nearly everything we might want, but we are also going to WDW in the fall, so it's not as bad as it might seem.

Is Radiator Springs Racers (RSR) not a priority? Since you are going to WDW in the fall, I would focus on rides such as this that don't have a WDW sister. If you are only in CA in the afternoon, then you are likely looking at a long standy line for RSR. Its very likely that Fastpasses will be gone for it by the time you arrive.

I guess I don't really understand why you are checking into an on site hotel and then heading off to Hollywood for a tour the next morning. It seems like a waste of benefits to me. You have EMH at CA on Wednesday, why not take advantage of it? Is Hollywood really important for your family?

I have girls (5) and boy (8) and we aren't doing any Hollywood sightseeing on our spring break trip. The time and cost commitments aren't worth it for them. We'll do it when they are a bit older. I would, at minimum, flip my Hollywood sightseeing to an afternoon. That may mean ditching an organized tour and instead DIYing it. That would be my preference anyways, with kids. I've taken mine on bus tours all over the place and I find we do better on our own.

So, here are some thoughts about your questions. I'm sorry if they come out random!

1. We are checking in to the on-site hotel Tuesday night b/c we are driving up from San Diego that day, but very late in the day. We didn't want to switch hotels for just one night, so we decided to stay at DCH for two nights. Original plan was just Wed night, but we rearranged our SD portion of the trip.

2. We do Disney a lot, so it's not really a focus for us. It will be interesting to see but since it's my first (and maybe only?) trip to LA in almost 4 decades of living, seeing the famous sites is a priority for me. I'm also from Florida and went to Disney a lot and my mom still lives there, so I guess it is lower on my list than I expected. We are also doing baseball games and beaches, seeing family and doing all sorts of other stuff. We are East Coasters so California is a long haul for us. I guess I/we don't want to miss some of the "big" sites in case we never make it back. You never know, right?

3. I do have an option to spend some time in DL on Friday with family if they decide they want to go. So we could add on a little more time on Friday if we really wanted to.

Does that help? I'm still working on my plan so all feedback is good. It will help crystalize my thinking and make sure I consider all options. Thanks!!!

"On Wednesday, 4/12, we have a half day tour of Hollywood and the tourist sites. In the late afternoon, probably around 4ish, we will head into Disney California Adventure. I have NO IDEA what we will be able to do or if FastPasses will be available or if MaxPass will be available yet or not. My thought was to attempt to ride a few rides and/or meet some characters. I've got the app, so I figured I'd keep checking wait times. We'd probably stay at the park until 9ish as long as the kids are doing OK."

Peak of Spring Break crowds so will be very crowed. 4PM is also a really bad time to start your day. FPs for most attractions will be long gone. Maybe get a Grizzly or Sky School for near closing, if even that.

Disney has not said date for MaxPass that I am aware of, but I get the impression it will be summer. Won't help you anyway as can't get FPs until tickets have been scanned into the park for the day.

Stuff like Soarin' and Radiator Springs Racers will have 2 hour+ wait. Expect 1+ hour for Midway Mania and close to that for Screamin. World of Color fastpasses will be gone leaving the horrid front areas where you get wet and can't see well.

Maybe catch the last show of Frozen musical, do Animation building (turtle talk, animation academy), Mater's junkyard jamboree and the rollikin' roadsters. Little Mermaid line moves SUPER fast. Tough to be a bug is always a walk-in to next show start. Couple rides in Bugsland that can be done with less than half hour wait like flick's flyers and the chew-chew train.

Monster's Inc can get pretty long wait... however, if you are willing to break your group of 4 into 2 2's and ride separately, you can ask the CM at the entrance for back-row passes and then go in the exit. The cars seat 6 and many groups are 3 or 4, leaving the back row for groups of 2. Can reduce a 45 min wait to 4 or 5 minute wait. ;)

You're spending a lot of money to stay at GCH to not get the benefit of EE and spend more than a half day in Hollywood, which is 35 miles away. And you're going the week before Easter, which is one of the busiest weeks of the year, not just at Disney, but in Hollywood and for traffic. What time if your tour supposed to be? You may not be back in Anaheim by 4pm. Would your family have any interest in Hollywood on Friday so Wednesday could be a full park day? Depending on what you want to see that a formal tour offers you may not need it.

That's also a lot to spend on 2 day hoppers to only maybe hop at some point on day 2.

These are all really good suggestions. I am going to see if I can move the Hollywood tour to Friday. What is great, but also complicating is that we have family in the area. We aren't paying for much that week except for our stay at DL. Frankly, it may come out to be one of our less expensive Spring Break trips as compared to going to WDW, HA! Anyway, it does make sense to take advantage of the EMH if we are going to stay at GCH. I'm not sure what I was thinking earlier, but thanks everyone for pointing that out!

Assuming we do switch the tour to Friday and can do DCA on Wednesday, is there anything special you would suggest? We are rope-droppers, but beyond that, how much should I plan for it? I normally give my husband minute by minute, turn by turn directions when we visit WDW.

CarsLand is not to be missed - there is nothing like it in Florida. You feel like you are in the movie. IMHO it deserves a visit at day and at night. Here's what I would do - Rope drop DCA head straight to Racers and ride it. Then head straight to Paradise Pier and ride Mid-Way Mania. If Screamin is a priority ride it as well. Then head back and get a fast pass for Racers for later (you will likely want to ride it again :) ). This past weekend we waited until about 2.5 hours after EMH started to get our FP for racers and it was already a return time of 8 pm. It is good that you like to do rope drop. Rope Drop works great at DL - so many of the visitors are locals that the mornings tend to be lighter. Between rope drop especially with EMH and the first two hours after opening you can get a TON done. Afternoons are really busy and navigating around is very hard right now with the construction for StarWars Land (more people crammed into fewer spaces/attractions).

I am a California native and had never done a Hollywood tour until this summer at 45 :) Studio tours can be fun but I think Hollywood Blvd etc is just not that great. The VIP tour at Universal and the realated VIP backlot tour were well worth it.

Another thought...why is Jedi a top priority? Do you feel like the experience is vastly different/better than the WDW version? I would give Carsland and other DL specific rides more weight than Jedi Training.

Another thought...why is Jedi a top priority? Do you feel like the experience is vastly different/better than the WDW version? I would give Carsland and other DL specific rides more weight than Jedi Training.

We've never done the Jedi Training at WDW because I think it's a waste of a day to go to Hollywood Studios. So, I've never taken the kids there. Also, Jedi Training is a way to make it up to my son for having to visit princesses with my daughter.

On a side note, I'm not trying to be rude and there isn't any tone over posts, but why question our priorities? Does it matter why Jedi Training is important? I'm well aware of what we will give up by taking about an hour of our day to do Jedi Training and have decided it's worth it. Again, I'm not trying to be combative and I know that I asked for feedback so I guess I asked for it. I've always wondered though why people try to talk people out of their particular priorities rather than help them achieve their priorities better.

I do appreciate you all taking time out of your lives to help me though!

I question priorities because on such a short trip, they are super important. We don't know you, and we really don't have much to go on. We don't really know how well you've researched this or what your background with WDW parks is. For instance, when you said you've done Disney a lot, I wouldn't expect that you've never taken the kids to Hollywood Studios.

I'm not trying to judge your priorities in any way or try to change your mind about them. I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Here is s great video the team did about 10 attractions NOT at Disney World. I highly recommend it! :) I think it will get you excited AND give you some ideas of how to spend your time. It's long but really talks about the history and the Magic.

Here is s great video the team did about 10 attractions NOT at Disney World. I highly recommend it! :) I think it will get you excited AND give you some ideas of how to spend your time. It's long but really talks about the history and the Magic.

This is really wonderful! Wasn't sure I could get more excited for the trip especially since it's dreary winter here, but YES! Ready to hit California!

I question priorities because on such a short trip, they are super important. We don't know you, and we really don't have much to go on. We don't really know how well you've researched this or what your background with WDW parks is. For instance, when you said you've done Disney a lot, I wouldn't expect that you've never taken the kids to Hollywood Studios.

I'm not trying to judge your priorities in any way or try to change your mind about them. I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from.

All of that makes total sense. Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

I know people have beaten this point to death but wanted to make a mathematical comparison in favor of doing EMH at DCA.. the only way to get EMH is to stay on site. Pop Century has MORE rooms then all DL hotels combined, so imagine if Pop guests were given 1 hour alone in a Disney park. That's why I think the posters get excited talking about it :)
Have you picked food yet? I would do Flo's V8 counter in Cars land and the Plaza Inn in DL. Don't forget Pirates, it's significantly longer and more detailed here. Make it a must do.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I know people have beaten this point to death but wanted to make a mathematical comparison in favor of doing EMH at DCA.. the only way to get EMH is to stay on site. Pop Century has MORE rooms then all DL hotels combined, so imagine if Pop guests were given 1 hour alone in a Disney park. That's why I think the posters get excited talking about it :)
Have you picked food yet? I would do Flo's V8 counter in Cars land and the Plaza Inn in DL. Don't forget Pirates, it's significantly longer and more detailed here. Make it a must do.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Wow, that's a great way to put it! So, does EMH feel empty then? I haven't even considered food yet. I know I don't want any sit down and/or character meals, but beyond that, I'm open to suggestions!

It really depends on park hours and entertainment schedules, which won't be out till mid March. We will be able to help you a lot once we know that.

I will cross my fingers you get midweek Remember...Dreams Come True, MSEP, etc.
Here's some pixie dust you also get an Easter/Spring run of PTN, though that's probably not likely.

Wow, that's a great way to put it! So, does EMH feel empty then? I haven't even considered food yet. I know I don't want any sit down and/or character meals, but beyond that, I'm open to suggestions!

I would just browse the menus now and get a feel for what would suit your family best. It sounds like you might need to wing it somewhat on meals. Although its a table service meal, you might consider something like Carnation Cafe too. The prices are pretty comparable to counter service and you might find a same day reservation.

If your family is okay with sharing and you like snacking, you might also consider just "eating around" Disney. My family does this at WDW all the time. When we pass something we want to eat, we buy one thing and share. This continues pretty much all day in between rides, and we don't stop for a formal meal. We get to try tons of different things, and most of our foods are purchased at off times so we aren't waiting in line for food. It keeps everybody's energy up, and helps us avoid the grogginess you might get after a bigger meal.

Curious who you were taking your la tour through. Not sure which tour places are the best/worst?? Do you have any insight?

Curious who you were taking your la tour through. Not sure which tour places are the best/worst?? Do you have any insight?

I have no real insight other than TripAdvisor. We are doing one called Kids Rule LA with a private tour company. Emily has been great. She moved our tour to Friday and offered to customize our tour with whatever we wanted. LEt me know if you need more info and I'll look it up. If you google Kids Rule LA you should find the toor

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter