Please convince me that I'll like Port Orleans-Riverside

cinjam

When will we go again???? Why in April, of course!
Did I make the right choice??? I just booked (with the codes) Port Orleans Riverside for 2/3-2/9. I wanted WL-stnd view, but that was sold out. I've never stayed at a moderate before. We have a 2 year old son. Should we make any special requests? I just read that the pool & jacuzzi is closed until 2/8.

Any input, thought, suggestions - to help me feel better about my choice would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!!!

Don't worry, you'll like POR; however, don't give up on the WL. Keep trying because those dates will open up the closer you get to the date.

Demosthenes - thank you for your reply. I will continue to check w/WL, but since the code expires today I don't know if I'll be able to get the good rate if something opens up later. But it's certainly worth a shot!!!

I love PO Riverside. We were lucky enough to stay there twice this month--we spent 12/4 in the Mansion section (Oak Manor, Bldg. 90, and it was lovely) and then 12/12 and 12/13 in Alligator Bayou, Bldg. 17. Last year we were in AB Bldg. 37 (all are non-smoking bldgs.). I prefer the AB section, the landscaping is wonderful with lots of room for a two-year old to run around.

There are quiet pools located conveniently around the resort, so, if the weather is good, you can swim even if the main pool is closed. The playground is also very nice.

I've stayed in value, moderate and deluxe. and will choose PO Riverside whenever I can!

Beth

We stayed at CBR during our 1st two visits to WDW. On our 3rd visit, CBR was full so we stayed at POR (Dixie Landings) and decided that we like it better than CBR. We stayed at POR 3 times because we like it so much. We finally stayed at WL on our last trip and I still prefer POR (not even taking into account that it is less expensive).

The lobby of WL is spectacular; we like the pool and slide at POR better (doesn't look like an advantage for your visit). Its a little more convenient to get back and forth to the main pool at WL than it is a POR, but POR has smaller pools located throughout the area. The food court at POR has a fairly good choice of food; Roaring Forks Snacks at WL doesn't compare. The grounds around the POR are really nice. We got more noise from slamming doors and activity in the hallways at WL even though the rooms at POR are accessed from the outside.

You may want to check out the maps and pictures at Carlson's Walt Disney World website Port Orleans Riverside Building 14 is popular because it is near the front desk, food court, etc. and near a bus stop.

Hope this helps. If you haven't been to WL, it is worth a visit to see the lobby.

Have stayed at POR lots of times and WLV a few times. Both are excellent resorts. You can't go wrong on either. POR might be a bit better because it's a bit more "kid" oriented. The food court is better. Of the 2, I would go with POR and wait until your child's a little bigger to go to the WL which has a great kids program called Cub's Den.

We were at POR last Jan. and while planning this trip we were trying to decide if we should try one of the other fantastic resorts we had heard about or go back to POR which we know we like.
We opted for POR, you wont be disappointed. My favourite time of day is in the morning when you are walking towards the food court, the mist is rising off the water and the kids are jumping out of their skin with excitement anticipating what adventures another day at WDW will bring. Oh wait, that was me jumping up and down :teeth:

DH and I are some of the few who didn't care for POR. What can I say? Good thing we don't all want the same resort.
I went with high expectations because of all the rave reviews. And nothing met our expectations.
The food court (bakery mostly) was good. The boat service to DTD was convenient. And good thing too, since the bus service rated an "F" for us.
Bob in the lounge area is a very cool act.
The landscaping is very nice. I wish the room we had was as well taken care of. ;)
The hot tub was dinky.

I went into AS with low expectations and they exceeded everything. So ya just never know. I wouldn't want to talk anyone out of staying at POR. But don't go expecting a little bit of heaven and not have that even half way met.

You should be able to use the POFQ pool, the slide is really cool.

We've stayed at both. Of course the WL is beautiful and it must be experienced, but our family was much more comfortable with POR. We liked having our door open to the outside. (I would like to see Disney place chairs outside the rooms at POR like they do at CBR). I never liked walking thru WL in a bathing suit. The food court is very convenient when you have children. The gift shop is great and they have a pretty decent grocery area. I remember one night buying a box of cookies there and eating them and drinking hot chocolate with our mugs in the food court. Most of all we just loved strolling around POR. And do I remember someone saying that they now how a horse and carriage ride?

We have stayed at Riverside a few times and always visit even if we stay elsewhere. It's simply lovely. I love the Bayou rooms. They are rustic-cute and the whole area never feels crowded. There are a few pools to pick from and the food court has a lot to pick from. The grounds are beautiful and it's easy to get to your vehicle if you have one.

This summer we took the kids fishing at the fishing hole. For a few dollars they rent you a simple cane pole and a can of worms and let you have at the little pond. Both kids caught some fish and threw them back in. Happiness! Then we swam in the main pool (which was being spruced up) and had lunch. I just love this resort. I think it is a real bargain and feels more "deluxe" than "moderate." Zamgwar, a popular contributor over at Deb Wills' Disney Site, calls it "practically perfect in every way." You can read his review by searching "Zamgwar's My 2 Cents" on the WDWIG site.

Enjoy!

I don't really have much to add to the other positive messages you've received in this thread, other than to just add one more vote on the "we love POR" side. We have stayed there several times, and most of those times have included at least one child as young or younger than yours. Our oldest son had his first stay there at 22 months. Our second son had his first stay there at 18 months. And our daughter had three stays there before her third birthday! My point is that POR has always worked out well for us with young children for reasons such as a large, fairly diverse food court, a well-stocked general store, lovely landscaped paths (perfect for stroller rides) with ducks and rabbits roaming about, and nice quiet pools (in addition to the main pool).

Like Colleen, I prefer the more rustic feel of the Alligator Bayou section, but both sections are nice.

If WL is your first choice, I wish you luck on getting in there, but if you have to "settle" for POR, I think that you will find that there is much there to like.

Enjoy your trip, and Merry Christmas! :earsboy:

We love POR and having stayed at several resorts on property in the last 3-4 years, it remains our favorite. The layout and design really take us away to a different place and time. We loved the food court and loved taking our little girl to eat there. She loved to play at their huge Lego Table while we watched her from our table. And, the TV's would entertain her as well. We also loved the fishing hole and it is one of DD's favorite memories.

We just returned from 8 days at the Contemporary and although the rooms are much larger, the monorail is a treat and walking access to MK can't be beat, I would still prefer POR anytime over the Contemporary.

I am very sound sensitive and think POR is much quieter than the either GF, the Beach Club or the Contemporary. Especially in the Bayou section. Added to that, the individual room air conditioner/heating unit and you can drown out any noise for naptime, etc.

The only downside for DH and I is that the beds are doubles vice queens and we are used to a king at home. I just wish they would build another deluxe and duplicate the setting and the ambience and have rooms with Queens or Kings. :)

I hope you have a really wonderful time!!

We stayed in Sept 01 with our then 4 and 2 year old boys. The highlight of their day was to see how many rabbits they could find on our way to the food court for breakfast every morning. We stayed in Alligator Bayou, and it is a beautiful walk to the food court, and surprisingly quiet. In the food court, they loved the huge water wheel, and the kids section woth the lego table and a TV tuned to, what else?, the Disney Channel. There is a small kiddie pool next to the main pool that they loved. There were tables set up in the lobby with crayons, paper etc. which helped to keep them occupied while we checked in. We had our own car, so I cant offer any advice about the transportaion, other than to say we did take the boat to POFQ (another highlight for them!), and you can use their pool etc. as well
Hope this helps!
Have a great trip!

Thank you all so much for your replies! Your input is so very much appreciated! We've stayed at WL before so I was not too disappointed that we could not afford to go back - I just wasn't sure which moderate to chose! Now DH has just found out he can get a reduced rate at Swan/Dolphin since he is a federal employee. I think I am in for a battle :-) That's OK - as long as we go to Disney in february!! Thank you all again.

We love POR!!! It is the only resort we haven't been somewhat dissappointed in and we have stayed at many WDW resorts. I love the Yacht Club, however POR lives up to all the hype!!

I actually prefer POR over the Wilderness Lodge!!

You'll love it!!!!

:D We have only stayed at POR, but we loved it. My then 6 yr old was thrilled by the trundle bed, our room in Alligator Bayou was quiet, we had no trouble with the bus service. One morning as we were making the short walk to the food court, we saw a HUGE woodpecker with a red head not 10 feet from us. The landscaping is lush and reminds me of old Florida. We came back one afternoon from the Magic Kingdom, the kids took a nap, then we swam and were back in the Kingdom that night for the parade. It was the most perfect Disney day imaginable. I would return in a heartbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter