Please Compare 2 Canon Digital cameras

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide between the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and the CanonPower Shot S2 IS... I have a HP photosmart 945 now and like it except for poor night pictures, also I'd like to be able to change lenses.I have a 75-300 lense and a wide angle lens from my old Canon .Also, seems like the HP is slow.

scrapycruiser said:
Trying to decide between the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and the CanonPower Shot S2 IS... I have a HP photosmart 945 now and like it except for poor night pictures, also I'd like to be able to change lenses.I have a 75-300 lense and a wide angle lens from my old Canon .Also, seems like the HP is slow.

The most obvious difference is the Rebel is SLR and the S2 IS is not. I have been looking at both and am prob. going to go with the S2 IS as I don't really need a SLR.

scrapycruiser said:
Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean you can't change lenses on the S2 IS ?

that is exactly what that means...

so if you want to change lenses go with the rebel XT

scrapycruiser said:
Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean you can't change lenses on the S2 IS ?
The S2 is a fixed lens camera, meaning you can't change from one lens to another, like switching from a wide angle lens to a telephoto lens. Instead it has one lens that goes from wide to telephoto. The S2 is a very convenient camera, a bit smaller that the XT and maybe not as complicated, that said the XT(and a decent lens) will blow the S2 away in image quality, speed and build quality.

If you are a casual picture taker, I think you'd be happier with the S2 IS. The reasons are it's got a long zoom, image stabilization and takes decent pics.

I want to thank everyone for your input. I'm looking forward to spending time on this board, learning as much as I can !

As I said earlier, I have the HP 945. Do you think the S2IS is a better camera to make the purchase worth while ?

I am at the World now (taking a bit of a break now at the resort). I just purchased an S2 IS and am 'shaking it down' while here on this trip. I really like it so far. I hope to post pictures (probably just on the Community Board) when I return. It does have a fairly wide angle (well, a lot wider than my old Nikon 995) and the zoom is stunning to say the least. Happy so far, but, it is not an SLR. I looked at SLR's, and for my needs, I found this Canon to suffice quite well.

I hope you are having a great time, Dan. I will be excited to see your pictures with the new camera.

Scrapy - I rec'd the Canon EOS Rebel XT just a week ago for my Christmas gift. Still learning about it..but so far enjoying it very much.

Dan Murphy said:
I am at the World now (taking a bit of a break now at the resort). I just purchased an S2 IS and am 'shaking it down' while here on this trip. I really like it so far. I hope to post pictures (probably just on the Community Board) when I return. It does have a fairly wide angle (well, a lot wider than my old Nikon 995) and the zoom is stunning to say the least. Happy so far, but, it is not an SLR. I looked at SLR's, and for my needs, I found this Canon to suffice quite well.

I just picked up my new S2 IS tonight. I can't wait to see how your pics turn out. I am a novice with this new fangled digital camera. I can't wait to play with it. Hope you are having a great time.

I just bought the S2 IS yesterday so I have time to practice before our (first) WDW trip. I like it so far. I used to have a 35mm SLR (Canon EOS Elan II) which I LOVED, but I didn't think I needed an SLR at this point. I am anxious to learn more about it so thank you for starting this thread.

I use the Rebel (not XT) but have quite fancied the S2 IS to use as a good quality 'easy to carry' camera - love the IS aspect of it.

Dan - share those pics when you retrun - hope you are having a brilliant time!!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter