• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plaza Inn Dining Package

Allieoop1

Earning My Ears
Hi, I was lucky and was able to get a Plaza Inn Dining Package for the reserved parade viewing area. I got it so we wouldn't have to stake out a spot for the parade an hour ahead since DH had back surgery and can't stand for that long. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the expense. With the package, how soon before the parade will we need to arrive to the viewing area and will we actually have a good view of the parade? Without the dining package, how soon before the parade should we find a spot and where would be a good place? We'll be there next week so hopefully the crowds won't be too awful.

I haven't done the dining package, but I've heard other people talk about it. It seems like if you want a good spot you still need to arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of time. You may be behind a couple rows of other people.

I've watched the parade from the same spot they use for the dining package, and it was a great view but you could find somewhere else just as good. We like to watch from the path leading to Small World. I have a bad back, so I try to find a place to sit on the stairs.

I'd suggest trying to find a bench along the parade route so your husband can sit, but you'd need to wait for a couple of hours if you did that.

Hopefully someone who has done the dining package will chime in with more details about the wait.

We’ve done the reserved viewing many times and I definitely think it’s worth it. We’ve shown up last minute and there is plenty of space there for a good view. Without reserved viewing, we’d have to stake out a spot early since we travel during holidays and school breaks when the parks are especially busy. Since we don’t like to wait around for the parade, we end up trying to find a spot <15 minutes in advance and it’s hard to get a good viewing spot. We always have a group of at least 5 with young kids that can’t see over adults, so if you have a smaller group, it would be easier to find a decent spot without the reserved viewing.

There are a few benches in the reserved area but they’re first come first served. We typically get there 30 mins prior to get a spot on the curb and last time there was a bench free when we got there, but if you’re seated you’ll have people in front of you.

There are a few benches in the reserved area but they’re first come first served. We typically get there 30 mins prior to get a spot on the curb and last time there was a bench free when we got there, but if you’re seated you’ll have people in front of you.
Oh, that's so nice. I thought it was standing only.

They do move around benches so maybe scout the area, but we were directly facing the train station and there was one on the left side. I remember because I remember asking the people sitting on it if I was blocking their view. This was back in June. We didn’t do it on our last trip a few weeks ago so it’s possible it changed!

Thanks everyone! I think I'll keep the reservation. People show up 30 minutes before? I thought the DL website said not to show up more than 10 minutes before your reservation time? Do you think there's some way to explain about DH's back and request that a bench be reserved?

Thanks everyone! I think I'll keep the reservation. People show up 30 minutes before? I thought the DL website said not to show up more than 10 minutes before your reservation time? Do you think there's some way to explain about DH's back and request that a bench be reserved?
I think at most events like this everyone shows up early. It wouldn't hurt to ask a CM about the bench. I'm not sure if they'd be able to reserve it since it's all first come-first served, but you could at least find out if benches are available that night and, if so, maybe they'd let you line up a little earlier.

I doubt you would be able to reserve a seat in advance. You never know with pixie dust I guess. If DH absolutely needs a seat, then you may need to rent an assistive device or plan to increase your camp out time.

I doubt you would be able to reserve a seat in advance. You never know with pixie dust I guess. If DH absolutely needs a seat, then you may need to rent an assistive device or plan to increase your camp out time.
Agree, I'm sure OPs husband is not the only person with that need purchasing that package for that specific reason. It would be impossible to accommodate everyone by giving them a bench.

I haven't done the dining package, but I've heard other people talk about it. It seems like if you want a good spot you still need to arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of time. You may be behind a couple rows of other people.

I've watched the parade from the same spot they use for the dining package, and it was a great view but you could find somewhere else just as good. We like to watch from the path leading to Small World. I have a bad back, so I try to find a place to sit on the stairs.

I'd suggest trying to find a bench along the parade route so your husband can sit, but you'd need to wait for a couple of hours if you did that.

Hopefully someone who has done the dining package will chime in with more details about the wait.
In case I cancel the dining package, where are the path to SW and stairs? It's been years since I've been to DL.

In case I cancel the dining package, where are the path to SW and stairs? It's been years since I've been to DL.
As you're walking down towards Small World, there's an elevated area up to your right. I think they sometimes have meet and greets there. There are a few short staircases and even some benches up there. I sat there for the Electrical parade. I did use my sweatshirt as a cushion because the stairs are cement. We had a great view!

I'm not sure how early you would need to stake out a bench, but I bet the view from those is even better.

Another time we sat on a big round bench/planter right in front of Small World. I like the stairs better though, because I sat on the stop step was able to use the railing as back support. It's hard to describe, but will make sense when you see it.

Last edited:
We got the dining package 11/11, and arrived 45 minutes before parade start with more than half of the guests for the reserved area already in line ahead of us. The only bench in the reserved area was the round bench that can seat about 4 people, but not all facing forward. I hesitated a moment (pretty much the 2 seconds it took to realize there was an open spot) and missed getting to sit by someone running in after me. There was no way I could sit on the ground, which the first 3 rows of people did, so I stepped back and offered to let some children who arrived after us sit/stand in front of me (children can have a hard time staying seated — they tend to pop up when excited, but I knew I wouldn’t mind). I did have to stand for the rest of the time we waited for the parade, as well as the entire parade. I had a hard time, for sure.

There’s absolutely no guarantee that your husband will be able to sit on the bench in the reserved area. If he can sit on the ground you’ll be fine with the dining package as long as you arrive early enough.

Disney doesn’t do well accommodating guests who have difficulty standing for long periods of time. If I were you I would plan on watching the second parade and find a spot closer to IASW — you’ll still have to spend some time waiting if you want to claim a bench, but it shouldn’t be as bad as first parade (because first parade starts at IASW, and second parade ends at IASW). Or you could rent a wheelchair and use it when needed, such as for parade viewing. There are parade viewing areas cordoned off for guests in wheel chairs and ECVs. I really hate that DIsney’s answer is to tell you to rent a wheelchair or ECV, as for many of us we want to avoid using a wheelchair if we can, even if it slows us down not to use it.

As yo

As you're walking down towards Small World, there's an elevated area up to your right. I think they sometimes have meet and greets there. There are a few short staircases and even some benches up there. I sat there for the Electrical parade. I did use my sweatshirt as a cushion because the stairs are cement. We had a great view!

I'm not sure how early you would need to stake out a bench, but I bet the view from those is even better.

Another time we sat on a big round bench/planter right in front of Small World. I like the stairs better though, because I sat on the stop step was able to use the railing as back support. It's hard to describe, but will make sense when you see it.
I'll check out those spots earlier in our trip and see if I can find them. Your directions are really good. Thanks for the help.

How about one of those walking canes that converts to a stool just for that event? Might come in handy in other situations as well.

We got the dining package 11/11, and arrived 45 minutes before parade start with more than half of the guests for the reserved area already in line ahead of us. The only bench in the reserved area was the round bench that can seat about 4 people, but not all facing forward. I hesitated a moment (pretty much the 2 seconds it took to realize there was an open spot) and missed getting to sit by someone running in after me. There was no way I could sit on the ground, which the first 3 rows of people did, so I stepped back and offered to let some children who arrived after us sit/stand in front of me (children can have a hard time staying seated — they tend to pop up when excited, but I knew I wouldn’t mind). I did have to stand for the rest of the time we waited for the parade, as well as the entire parade. I had a hard time, for sure.

There’s absolutely no guarantee that your husband will be able to sit on the bench in the reserved area. If he can sit on the ground you’ll be fine with the dining package as long as you arrive early enough.

Disney doesn’t do well accommodating guests who have difficulty standing for long periods of time. If I were you I would plan on watching the second parade and find a spot closer to IASW — you’ll still have to spend some time waiting if you want to claim a bench, but it shouldn’t be as bad as first parade (because first parade starts at IASW, and second parade ends at IASW). Or you could rent a wheelchair and use it when needed, such as for parade viewing. There are parade viewing areas cordoned off for guests in wheel chairs and ECVs. I really hate that DIsney’s answer is to tell you to rent a wheelchair or ECV, as for many of us we want to avoid using a wheelchair if we can, even if it slows us down not to use it.
Thanks. It's nice to have a first hand report. It sounds like it's not worth spending the money if we still have to show up that early to get a place to watch. He could sit on the ground, but I'm not sure he would be able to get back up! :) I think I'll take Pluto's advice and look for those places near IASW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter