Plastic straws on DCL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The person they responded to was way snarkier and rude to them. I'd say they earned a little bit of snark.

So that would be the everybody’s doing it argument? He pollutes so I can too! He might have been rude (hard to tell online) so I can be rude too!

Let’s agree to disagree here. My take - some people don’t like thinking about their individual contributions to pollution (and every single person contributes in some way) so they get defensive and mean.

So that would be the everybody’s doing it argument? He pollutes so I can too! He might have been rude (hard to tell online) so I can be rude too!

Sorry, what was being responded to by DisUniversal was clearly rude. There is really no other way of interpreting it. In a perfect world, everyone would be polite to everyone else but if someone gets snappy with you, they shouldn't be surprised if you get snappy back.

Let’s agree to disagree here. My take - some people don’t like thinking about their individual contributions to pollution (and every single person contributes in some way) so they get defensive and mean.

And some people overthink their contribution and undervalue others', so they get offensive and mean. But you will have passionate people on both ends of the spectrum. It would be nice if there could be civil discourse about it. Pollution is a thing. It's never going to end.

Anybody want to talk about how air, water, and surface pollution are WAY DOWN all over the world, especially in the developed nations? Anyone want to talk about how energy use is down, and becoming more efficient all the time? Anyone want to talk about how recycling is way up and waste is way down? Anyone want to talk about how awareness of the Earth's health is way up and most people consider it way more important than in the past? Even plastic has been a great boon in reducing the use of metal and glass (which are energy intensive and bulky) as well as increasing sterility and decreasing contamination.

Or should we just complain some more about straws?

I am not being snarky. I am just speaking the truth. Over the past 50 years the environment has been steadily improving by almost every measure. Sure there is still work to do. Lots of it. But lets see that work as a continuation of the great successes we as a society have worked towards, not the desperate last ditch effort that robs us of every enjoyment. I use a straw sometimes. I use a disposable this or that sometimes. I'm not going to feel guilty about that. But I am going to keep working to make the world a better place. Part of that effort is to share perspectives that show how well we are doing at improving the state of the world.

Now let's go enjoy a cruise to celebrate and appreciate this world we all care so much about! ENJOY!

And we're done here. Please remember in the future to be respectful of each other and stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter