Plant Based food options coming in 2020

Out of curiosity, do you have examples of what they've made? I've avoided some TS restaurants because of the lack of options, or the lack of appealing options. E.g. I know Carthay Circle can do a stack of vegetables, but that's never sounded appealing to me (since I could easily cook vegetables and bring that from home for far less $$$). I've done BB and RBT as the other TS restaurants, which have decent veg options.

Happiest Vegan on Earth is an awesome resource!
https://happiestveganonearth.com/

I'm vegetarian and my family eats faux meat & tofu products with me all time time. We loved all the food options on our last visit in April, but it was the food & wine festival so a lot were temporary.

Happiest Vegan on Earth is an awesome resource!
https://happiestveganonearth.com/

I'm vegetarian and my family eats faux meat & tofu products with me all time time. We loved all the food options on our last visit in April, but it was the food & wine festival so a lot were temporary.

Thanks! That site looks awesome - going to have to try some more dishes next time I'm at DLP! (maybe tomorrow? :) )

Soy milk is okay according to article above:

"One caveat: some soy products contain estrogen-like chemicals that could have adverse effects. So stay away from soy isoflavone supplements and foods made with textured vegetable protein and soy protein isolate, found in many protein powders and nutrition bars. Still, McManus says it's okay to eat whole soy foods — like soy milk, edamame, and tofu — in moderation, several times per week. "

Thank each of you, so much. I did not know that about soy / soy products. I don't (knowingly) each soy products but this has given me a reason to think about it. Again, many thanks.
I know you had originally asked the question of me, but I’ve been away on vacation. Anyway, I don’t personally eat soy due to the estrogen-like content because I have fibroids, which feed off estrogen. I don’t like feeding soy to my two young sons either as there has been some evidence that it can interrupt normal hormone production/function, especially in males.

That said, we do eat small amounts of soy ocassionly, for instance soy sauce and even edamame (soy beans) but I to avoid things like soy milk, tofu and highly processed soy products like the Impossible “meat” etc.

Last edited:
I don’t know why they can’t just call it vegan or ovo-lacto vegetarian.

Plant *based* makes me nervous. Like it’s mainly plant, but maybe they’ll add in something else.

And first they had good options, then they limited it and made you have to know that they’ll modify menus and have options not pm the menu, limited it more, and now they have menu items that are...hmm. And with menu items right there, much like Wdw with their allergy menu, suddenly we might find that they can’t modify other items. This might be more limiting.

Can you enlighten me about why a person would avoid soy products. I have not heard of what would cause that to be, so I'm just trying to learn. TIA!

My aunt and cousin have messed up thyroids and can’t deal with soy.

But one does wonder how China has lasted so long with such a big population, if soy was as bad as Americans make it out to be.

I love meatless ‘fake meat’ options- let’s bring on more veggie burgers, etc.

They used to have very nice veggie burgers. The Malibu burger from garden burger was soooo good.

Then they decided that everyone wanted cumin flavors, and all places just had the black bean patty that’s heavy on that spice. I love cumin, but not in a generic veggie burger.

WDW has a bunch of places with gardein.

My realtor said growing up ok their farm they wouldn’t even feed the animals soy.

Soy isn’t a natural food for cows to come across, so thank goodness.

I don’t know why they can’t just call it vegan or ovo-lacto vegetarian.

Plant *based* makes me nervous. Like it’s mainly plant, but maybe they’ll add in something else.

"Plant based" is the buzz-phrase of the day. It usually means vegan, and I think that's what Disney is using the phrase to mean. The blog post says
...made without animal meat, dairy, eggs or honey.

My guess is that the term "vegan" just doesn't do as well in focus groups, so the marketers came up with "plant based". Everyone loves plants, right?

Though... now I wonder... will they start labeling the other foods "animal based"? "critter based"? 🤔

"Plant based" is the buzz-phrase of the day. It usually means vegan, and I think that's what Disney is using the phrase to mean. The blog post says

My guess is that the term "vegan" just doesn't do as well in focus groups, so the marketers came up with "plant based". Everyone loves plants, right?

Though... now I wonder... will they start labeling the other foods "animal based"? "critter based"? 🤔
I think they are using the term plant based because they aren't guaranteeing separate cooking spaces for everything.

But one does wonder how China has lasted so long with such a big population, if soy was as bad as Americans make it out to be.

It isn't soy itself that is the problem, but the estrogens that it contains, which are not good for a woman who has survived breast cancer that was caused by estrogens. I speak from first-hand experience.

I think they are using the term plant based because they aren't guaranteeing separate cooking spaces for everything.
That's a good point. I also think people think of vegan as a lifestyle and not a choice you might make for a meal here and there. I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but I'm excited to have more options.

As a non-meat-eater, I’m delighted to have more choice, but we seem to be losing some classics along the way. In particular, the WDW Restaurantosaurus Black Bean Burger which was my absolute go-to lunch, has now been replaced by a plant based meat-substitute 🙁

Last edited:
As a non-meat-eater, I’m delighted to have more choice, but we seem to be losing some classics along the way. In particular, the WDW Restaurantosaurus Black Bean Burger which was my absolute go-to lunch, has now been replaced by a plant based meat-substitute 🙁
Yes! That is the downside of the impossibles and the beyonds. I miss having regular veggie burgers on the menu.

Yes! That is the downside of the impossibles and the beyonds. I miss having regular veggie burgers on the menu.
I would have thought a lot of vegetarians/vegans actually don’t want to eat something that tastes like meat. I do eat meat but I love veggie burgers that are not fake meat, but are made from beans or lentils or grains.

I do eat meat but I love veggie burgers that are not fake meat, but are made from beans or lentils or grains.
Same here. I am a meat eater, but will sometimes enjoy a good veggie patty that emphasizes the veggies/grain flavors. I don’t really have a lot of interest in “fake meat“ that is attempting to replicate meat. But I don’t think I am the target for this, so I might be in the minority.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter