• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

88jp

Earning My Ears
Just planned my first ever trip to Universal and Disney World! We'll be there over a week, and I don't want to miss a thing - one problem is, I've been suffering from chronic lower back pain for about 5 years.

That being said, I'd rather play it safe than sorry, lest I be laid up in my hotel room for the entire trip. I'd really appreciate some insight on if the following rides are likely to aggravate my injury! These are the rides we're thinking of:
  • HP & The Forbidden Journey
  • Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Magic Carpets of Aladdin
  • Mad Tea Party
  • It's a Small World
  • Splash Mountain (the one I'd be most sad to miss, but think I may have to)
Neither of us are huge ride-goers as you can probably tell, so we're happy to make any adjustments based on advice given here (and in other threads I've been reading). Thank you preemptively to everyone for your help!

Of course the rides warn against riding with back trouble. If it's an actual injury or condition, I would check with your doctor to determine what you can and can not ride. I don't consider any of the rides you've listed particularly jarring, but I don't know what motions aggravate your injury.

If you've been dealing with back pain for that long, you've probably already dealt with addressing it, but if for some reason you haven't tried physical therapy yet, I'd suggest it. I've had some back pain for the last year after some minor pain 2 years ago. While it got 'better' over the last year, I spent about 3 months going to PT 1-2 times a week. I'm not perfect, but SO much better than I was before. Between the therapy and the stretching/strengthening exercises, my core has gotten stronger for sure. I can tell even doing regular activities around my house or getting in and out of our neighborhood pool.

I think strengthening our core (with very easy exercises) is something most of us should be doing, even if it's just for prevention. I suspect I should (and hopefully will) be doing these for the rest of my life.

Good luck!

Of course the rides warn against riding with back trouble. If it's an actual injury or condition, I would check with your doctor to determine what you can and can not ride. I don't consider any of the rides you've listed particularly jarring, but I don't know what motions aggravate your injury.
Thanks for the quick response! I have issues at L4/L5 and with my SI joints, so mostly hard or sudden movements (for example, I've read that the logs on Splash Mountain can bump into one another, and I'm more worried about that than I would be the drop).

If you've been dealing with back pain for that long, you've probably already dealt with addressing it, but if for some reason you haven't tried physical therapy yet, I'd suggest it. I've had some back pain for the last year after some minor pain 2 years ago. While it got 'better' over the last year, I spent about 3 months going to PT 1-2 times a week. I'm not perfect, but SO much better than I was before. Between the therapy and the stretching/strengthening exercises, my core has gotten stronger for sure. I can tell even doing regular activities around my house or getting in and out of our neighborhood pool.

I think strengthening our core (with very easy exercises) is something most of us should be doing, even if it's just for prevention. I suspect I should (and hopefully will) be doing these for the rest of my life.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the sweet, positive response! I've previously done physical therapy and actually started it up again this week after receiving some steroid injections in my joints - I completely agree, it's already been a huge help, so hopefully by time I make my trip I'm feeling better. This is definitely something I anticipate on having to do for a looong time, and I'm so glad to hear it's worked for you and that you feel better!

Thanks for the quick response! I have issues at L4/L5 and with my SI joints, so mostly hard or sudden movements (for example, I've read that the logs on Splash Mountain can bump into one another, and I'm more worried about that than I would be the drop).
I've been on Splash Mountain when the boats bumped each other - again, it wasn't jarring because there are rubber-type bumpers that give around the boats - but it wasn't gentle either. FWIW, jarring to me is defined as "ugh, I wish I had a sports bra on for that one!" I have pinched nerves and if the Splash Mountain boat bumps had been jarring, my shoulder would have hurt for days and my hand would have gone partially numb - didn't happen that way for me. Of course, YMMV. I've continued to have fun at WDW as long as I miss out on those sports-bra required rides :p

Regarding the core exercises idea - those have helped me personally with the lumbar pinched nerves - until I decided I didn't have time to continue the exercises everyday :o Glad your post reminded me to start over so that I can enjoy our next WDW trip :thumbsup2

I've been on Splash Mountain when the boats bumped each other - again, it wasn't jarring because there are rubber-type bumpers that give around the boats - but it wasn't gentle either. FWIW, jarring to me is defined as "ugh, I wish I had a sports bra on for that one!" I have pinched nerves and if the Splash Mountain boat bumps had been jarring, my shoulder would have hurt for days and my hand would have gone partially numb - didn't happen that way for me. Of course, YMMV. I've continued to have fun at WDW as long as I miss out on those sports-bra required rides :p

Regarding the core exercises idea - those have helped me personally with the lumbar pinched nerves - until I decided I didn't have time to continue the exercises everyday :o Glad your post reminded me to start over so that I can enjoy our next WDW trip :thumbsup2
LOL, that's actually a great way to describe it! I'm glad to hear your nerves weren't aggravated from the rides - and that our posts reminded you of your exercises :) (been there for sure). Thanks for your help and I hope you enjoy your next trip!

I have L4/L5 herniation that flares up from time to time. The only rides that specifically bother my back are what I call the "chain lift" rides specifically when jerk forward while in motion. Space Mountain is the biggest offender. Also, the smaller coasters (Flight of the Hippogriff and Barnstormer), Everest, and Big Thunder. Also when the log transitions onto the lifts at Splash sometimes. The "brake test" in Test Track also gets me a bit. I find planting my feet and bracing myself by straightening up my back helps significantly for most of these rides. At local amusement parks, I will not ride bumper cars because they really can aggravate me but the bumping of boats and stuff at Disney doesn't usually bother me since its pretty low speed.

My biggest tips to avoid flare ups are walking (low impact to keep the back stronger) and I use a teeter table daily to stretch for a few minutes. Also, since I sit all day at a desk, I have a back wedge and seat wedge that help me maintain posture. Small things, but they help a lot!

have you thought about posting this on the Disability part of this form there is a good number of people on there that have the same or very similar problems as you and can give you a good first point of view

have you thought about posting this on the Disability part of this form there is a good number of people on there that have the same or very similar problems as you and can give you a good first point of view
I'm so new to this, I didn't even know there was a Disability portion of the forum! Would you be able to provide a link to that?

I have L4/L5 herniation that flares up from time to time. The only rides that specifically bother my back are what I call the "chain lift" rides specifically when jerk forward while in motion. Space Mountain is the biggest offender. Also, the smaller coasters (Flight of the Hippogriff and Barnstormer), Everest, and Big Thunder. Also when the log transitions onto the lifts at Splash sometimes. The "brake test" in Test Track also gets me a bit. I find planting my feet and bracing myself by straightening up my back helps significantly for most of these rides. At local amusement parks, I will not ride bumper cars because they really can aggravate me but the bumping of boats and stuff at Disney doesn't usually bother me since its pretty low speed.

My biggest tips to avoid flare ups are walking (low impact to keep the back stronger) and I use a teeter table daily to stretch for a few minutes. Also, since I sit all day at a desk, I have a back wedge and seat wedge that help me maintain posture. Small things, but they help a lot!
Thank you so much for your response! That makes sense, those are the kind of movements I would expect to hurt me as well (considering how much it does hurt when someone breaks too fast in the car w/me). Have you ever rode the Forbidden Journey? I've heard some people say that's kind of how that ride can feel.

I'm glad to hear that the other things don't bother you! Bracing myself is a great idea, I'll have to keep that in mind; those small things add up! I have both of those and one of the foot rests to keep me level - it makes a huge difference!

Thank you so much for your response! That makes sense, those are the kind of movements I would expect to hurt me as well (considering how much it does hurt when someone breaks too fast in the car w/me). Have you ever rode the Forbidden Journey? I've heard some people say that's kind of how that ride can feel.

I'm glad to hear that the other things don't bother you! Bracing myself is a great idea, I'll have to keep that in mind; those small things add up! I have both of those and one of the foot rests to keep me level - it makes a huge difference!

Forbidden Journey doesn't bother me at all. I just sit up nice and straight in the seat.

Since you indicated you have never been to either place, good to realize they involve a LOT of walking which even healthy individuals can find exhausting. Not a doctor, but if your back condition creates issue just from walking, you will probably enjoy the parks better when you are over that condition. Clearly some rides can aggravate various conditions and there are signs posted at the ride entrance. But you will likely enjoy being there less if walking around causes issues.

If you don't already walk several miles per day when at home, you likely won't enjoy the parks as much.

Two time surgical recipient L5/S1 here. I ride everything at Disney but I am careful on a few.

7DMT....the swinging of the cars is tricky and can easily tweak me. As the train whips around curves I have to make sure I move with the motion carefully.

Any ride with a drop hill...Splash, Pirates, Frozen etc...the jarring stop right when the boat hits the bottom of the hill gets me and I have to brace.

Space Mountain can be rough.

My son has nerve damage to his spine so he is in constant pain. The rides he absolutely can't do:
Space Mountain, RnRC, Alien SpaceSaucers. Rides he can do once and only if he doesn't plan on doing anything else the rest of the day: BTM, Splash Mountain, EE, SDMT (yes, it has a jerk at the end). He has learned how to brace his legs and cross his arms on some rides to resist that jerk at the end. Pooh doesn't bother him. Safari bothers him but by darn he is riding it no matter what. ToT doesn't bother him for some reason and we ride it over and over again. He hasn't done MMRR yet but I suspect that will be a one and done since it has that dance sequence that does twist you around. Dinosaur in AK sort of hurts but he can deal with it if it's at the beginning of the day and he hasn't put too much on his back already. SDD doesn't hurt at all because he knows to brace at the end. Pirates is o.k. again, braces at the end. The backward part of SE hurts but he has learned how to sort of lean forward to keep pressure off the spine. TT is a one and done as well, he loves it and will ride it but only at the end of the day.

Since you indicated you have never been to either place, good to realize they involve a LOT of walking which even healthy individuals can find exhausting. Not a doctor, but if your back condition creates issue just from walking, you will probably enjoy the parks better when you are over that condition. Clearly some rides can aggravate various conditions and there are signs posted at the ride entrance. But you will likely enjoy being there less if walking around causes issues.

If you don't already walk several miles per day when at home, you likely won't enjoy the parks as much.
Thank you! That's definitely part of the reason I want to be so careful, walking doesn't typically aggravate my symptoms but it will be a LOT more than I'm used to - we scheduled in a day mid-week for me to take some meds and not get out of bed lol!

My son has nerve damage to his spine so he is in constant pain. The rides he absolutely can't do:
Space Mountain, RnRC, Alien SpaceSaucers. Rides he can do once and only if he doesn't plan on doing anything else the rest of the day: BTM, Splash Mountain, EE, SDMT (yes, it has a jerk at the end). He has learned how to brace his legs and cross his arms on some rides to resist that jerk at the end. Pooh doesn't bother him. Safari bothers him but by darn he is riding it no matter what. ToT doesn't bother him for some reason and we ride it over and over again. He hasn't done MMRR yet but I suspect that will be a one and done since it has that dance sequence that does twist you around. Dinosaur in AK sort of hurts but he can deal with it if it's at the beginning of the day and he hasn't put too much on his back already. SDD doesn't hurt at all because he knows to brace at the end. Pirates is o.k. again, braces at the end. The backward part of SE hurts but he has learned how to sort of lean forward to keep pressure off the spine. TT is a one and done as well, he loves it and will ride it but only at the end of the day.
Thank you for your response :) I'm so glad to hear that there are still a good bit of rides your son is able to take - wishing him well!

Just planned my first ever trip to Universal and Disney World! We'll be there over a week, and I don't want to miss a thing - one problem is, I've been suffering from chronic lower back pain for about 5 years.

That being said, I'd rather play it safe than sorry, lest I be laid up in my hotel room for the entire trip. I'd really appreciate some insight on if the following rides are likely to aggravate my injury! These are the rides we're thinking of:
  • HP & The Forbidden Journey
  • Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Magic Carpets of Aladdin
  • Mad Tea Party
  • It's a Small World
  • Splash Mountain (the one I'd be most sad to miss, but think I may have to)
Neither of us are huge ride-goers as you can probably tell, so we're happy to make any adjustments based on advice given here (and in other threads I've been reading). Thank you preemptively to everyone for your help!
I've had back problems for 20 plus years. My back is generally sore and aches on a daily basis. What I have to be careful about, is hurting it. I mean, it going out on me and being in pain with difficulty walking. When my back goes out on me, sometimes it's for no reason and sometimes I sat down the wrong way or went to pick something up and OUCH! And it always seems to happen at the worst times. The last time we went to WDW over NYE in 2019, I had hurt my back the day before bending over picking up a bed sheet. I spent the entire trip in pain. I still don't know how I did it. Going on rides, all that walking, etc. Sometimes it's not the ride, it's getting in and out (even if you're not in pain). I went on 7DMT and was fine because I think the size of were you sit is smaller sized and I was more "packed in." Went on the skyliner and when it was coming to a stop with the bumps and all....wow! Did that ever hurt. I sleep everynight with a heating pad, travel with it to.

Back pain- and what triggers it- I find to be relatively subjective. Or I’m (forunately) pretty immune.

I have a very, very solid back. I have a rod next to my spine and just a little gap between vertebrae in my neck, significantly constraining any motion and leaving me with no “shock absorbers.”

The only thing that even begins to trigger an “ouch” are ride vehicles hitting hard, although I prefer smooth rides (metal supports or water) rather than wooden roller coasters, pretty much of any size. It’s not as though the wooden ones hurt, per se, I just prefer the others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter